Sponsored Chess Read

National developments, strategies and ideas.
David Grobler

Re: Sponsored Chess Read

Post by David Grobler » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:00 pm

so....book arrived today....the front cover is very pretty and colourful . And I simply just love the smell of new books....dont you ?
So clean and fresh.....
I was also sent a very nice book mark from the "Book Depository" (who sold me the book) . It is nicely slotted into page 6...which is the page that shows the "symbols" used in the book..."!" = "good move"...etc
Page 7 has lots of words on it...so I might leave that til tomorrow...or the day after.....

Sabrina Chevannes

Post by Sabrina Chevannes » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:58 pm

Well it seems that the results of the poll was a tie!! Now, I am not going to read both in one go as that defeats the point of me really concentrating on the one. So I have discussed this with my peers and decided that I should start by reading Chess for Tigers and the book after xmas will be Dynamic Chess Strategy!

So, I will start reading some of chess for tigers tomorrow! Wish me luck!! And keep the donations coming through!

Andrew Farthing

Post by Andrew Farthing » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:46 pm

Hi Sabrina,

You'll enjoy Chess for Tigers - it's a lot of fun as well as being full of good advice.

I guess this means it's too late for me to argue for the ultra-sadistic choice of Robert Huebner's Twenty-Five Annotated Games, which is 410 pages of hard slog (and definitely no cartoons :( ). Game 22 achieves the astonishing (record-breaking?) feat of running for more pages than there are moves in the game (49 moves; 52 pages), despite no comments at all on the first 15 moves!

I have a copy on my shelves just daring me to open it... :)

Sabrina Chevannes

Post by Sabrina Chevannes » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:53 pm

Erm, Andrew, I think I definitely will PASS on your suggestion!!

The idea is to ease me in, not scare me away for life!

I am glad that people think I will enjoy it! I'm actually looking forward to it! Just got my copy of dynamic chess strategy. Flicked through and it looks a lot meatier so I am glad that will be the second book!

Updates will be posted on my blog shortly, once I've read a page :)

David Grobler

Post by David Grobler » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:50 pm

Having splashed out over £7 on Subas "Dynamic Chess Strategy" , I was tempted to ask for a re-count....and I suspected "under-hand" tactics were being used . :)
Fortunately I have just borrowed a friends copy of "Chess for Tigers"...and I am already at page 10!
I'm now about to spent a fair bit of time (assisted by my friend Fritz) trying to understand how Korchnoi beat Geller in 1971 .

Sabrina Chevannes

Post by Sabrina Chevannes » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:42 pm

I HAVE OFFICIALLY FINISHED READING THE BOOK!!

So I made the deadline :)

People can start testing me soon - I will set up a page specifically for this on my website. Plus I will do a report on the book soon.

David Grobler

Post by David Grobler » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:19 pm

What??
Ive only managed up to chapter three(and I was sure Id finish first )
:)

Sabrina Chevannes

Post by Sabrina Chevannes » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:30 am

It was a very easy read! I also have the extended version so I haven't cheated! I will be starting on the next book straight after I get back from holiday!