Delancey UK Schools Chess Challenge

National developments, strategies and ideas.
John Upham

Delancey UK Schools Chess Challenge

Post by John Upham » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:04 pm

Just had the first of many mailings land on the welcome mat for the

http://www.delanceyukschoolschesschallenge.com/ :D
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

PeterTurland

Re: Delancey UK Schools Chess Challenge

Post by PeterTurland » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:32 pm

John Upham wrote:Just had the first of many mailings land on the welcome mat for the

http://www.delanceyukschoolschesschallenge.com/ :D
Hello John,

My daughter is a deputy principal and I sent her the URL you have supplied, I also said in the email that I would pay the entry fee for her school.

I would be much obliged, if anyone who is a forum member, who has been involved with one of these affairs, could mess me and put me right, as to the ins and outs.

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:18 am

I notice that the UK Chess Challenge is now providing lessons and tests. I attempted one of the tests this morning and I have two observations

1. I didn't think it was vey good and I would be interested to know what other think

2. It didn't seem to relate to the certificate of merit. Has that potential link bitten the dust?

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:36 am

Matthew Turner wrote:I notice that the UK Chess Challenge is now providing lessons and tests.
I'm sure I attempted something like this on the old website, about five years ago. I think they've just been moved to somewhere that you can more-easily find them now!

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:39 am

Matthew Turner wrote: 2. It didn't seem to relate to the certificate of merit. Has that potential link bitten the dust?
The agreement with UKCC was to promote the ECF CoM scheme. CoM falls under the remit of DoJCaE (Phil Ehr) so I guess PE will need to talk with Mike and Pat on this matter. I suspect that this is an oversight.

Peter Turner

Post by Peter Turner » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:20 pm

John Upham wrote:
Matthew Turner wrote: 2. It didn't seem to relate to the certificate of merit. Has that potential link bitten the dust?
The agreement with UKCC was to promote the ECF CoM scheme. CoM falls under the remit of DoJCaE (Phil Ehr) so I guess PE will need to talk with Mike and Pat on this matter. I suspect that this is an oversight.
Good morning John

I'm interested in your response to Matthew's post, can I assume, that if it is now in Phil Ehr's remit, that the previous Junior D Peter Purland took a leading role in the negotiations with Mike B - I think not!! I'll be pleased to apologise if PP was involved. I bet Phil E does not know about it.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:31 pm

Peter Turner wrote: Good morning John

I'm interested in your response to Matthew's post, can I assume, that if it is now in Phil Ehr's remit, that the previous Junior D Peter Purland took a leading role in the negotiations with Mike B - I think not!! I'll be pleased to apologise if PP was involved. I bet Phil E does not know about it.
Phil Ehr kindly visited my home a couple of weeks ago and we chatted about many matters pertinent to his Directorship including CoM and the relationship with UKCC.

For the record I set up the first meeting with Mike, Andrew Martin and myself in the Surbiton branch of Café Nero sometime in 2011.

This was then swiftly followed by a second meeting at the same location involving Mike, Pat, Andrew, Andrew Farthing, Stewart Reuben and myself. I took a back seat at the second meeting and the agreement was made to partner CoM and UKCC amongst other useful agreements. At no stage was PP involved although I have emailed PP about such matters in the early stages of CoM development.

Phil Ehr is very keen for this initiative to be continued and built upon and it might be that Tim Woolgar will provided marketing support.

In the meanwhile, I believe that it remains for a Manager of CoM to be appointed or re-appointed.

I believe that the link between ECF - CoM - UKCC is now a much stronger one but it needs to be managed and I hand that over to the new Manager as other duties await.

Andrew Walker continues to be the CoM administrator in Battle and calls upon me from time to time.

I hope that sheds some light on the arrangements to date.

Peter Turner

Post by Peter Turner » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:57 pm

Wow John, thanks

I didn't expect you to send such a detailed reply. So I was correct in my assumption that the previous Junior D had nothing to do with the CofM & UKCC link-up. I'm pleased you have had the chance to bring Phil upto date with the CofM, hopefully he will eventually be in a position to keep the Board informed of the net benefit to Junior Chess.
You say, "Phil Ehr kindly visited my home a couple of weeks ago and we chatted about many matters pertinent to his Directorship including CoM and the relationship with UKCC.". Does this mean that Phil will have the task of recommending the next 'Manager of the CofM to the Board?
Regards
Peter T

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:01 pm

Peter Turner wrote: Does this mean that Phil will have the task of recommending the next 'Manager of the CofM to the Board?
Regards
Peter T
Peter, yes, I believe he will have that honour!

Andrew Varney

Post by Andrew Varney » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:33 pm

Just this week I ran a "UK chess challenge"-like event at the local primary school where I look after the chess club, held during school hours, Swiss-style with short games (mostly beginners), no clocks and medals for top boy and top girl in each year. The excitement among the 31 children taking part was great, I had 3 new people at chess club today and heightened enthusiasm amongst the existing members. I'd say definitely the formula is right for primary schools at least.

Those that took part in the UK CC last year have already been asking "are we doing it again?", "when does it start?" etc. And I haven't even mentioned to them about the extra prizes at the Megafinal yet...!

Sabrina Chevannes

Post by Sabrina Chevannes » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:14 am

I agree Andrew - I think the UKCC is amazing. It is so encouraging to juniors. I recommend it to every school I know that are interested in chess!

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:26 am

My favourite aspect is being mugged on a weekly basis for gold spots and mascots.

UKCC rubbers can be used as weapons of mass destruction but are popular!

Peter Turner

Post by Peter Turner » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:30 am

Morning Sabrina
I totally agree with you, it's often described as, " chess skittles" but it does, if nothing else, introduce chess to thousands of youngsters. It is what happens after the UK Challenge which is more important, there needs to a 'structured' follow-up and I don't think that always happens. I wonder if the new association with the ECF may help in the follow-up!!?? Does anyone know the nature of the contract with Mike Basman and is it likely to result in a net financial benefit to the ECF Junior budget?
Cheers
Peter T

PS Just seen John's post. Those gold spots are really worth their weight in gold! At this initial stage the enthusiasm is definitely not for any chance of a cash prize later in the Challenge.

Sabrina Chevannes

Post by Sabrina Chevannes » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:17 pm

Yes Peter, this tournament covers all the levels. It introduces the masses to the game at the schools stages, it introduces regional competitions to those who know how to play but not had much experience, it provides a very generous prize fund to those who are at the top of their game - it is an all-round great tournament.

I do actually like the fact that each child believes they can win that £2000! When they can't get past the second stage, they realise that others are actually much better and they work harder to do better the next year! It's really nice.

I would indeed like to know the details of the contract between the UKCC and ECF as the tournament itself has always been a big success so I am not sure what sort of symbiosis there will be with this partnership