JUNIOR 4NCL

National developments, strategies and ideas.
Mike Truran

JUNIOR 4NCL

Post by Mike Truran » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:02 am

The Junior 4NCL entry form can now be found on the 4NCL website www.4ncl.co.uk .

The weekends will be at Barcelo Hinckley Island Hotel on the following dates:

1. 26th - 27th November 2011
2. 21st - 22nd January 2012
3. 3rd - 4th March 2012

Free group and individual chess tuition between rounds!

Andrew Varney

Re: JUNIOR 4NCL

Post by Andrew Varney » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:47 pm

Interesting idea to reformat the J4NCL into separate divisions with different rates of play, etc.
However, I cannot see any mention of age limits.
Is it now going to be all U18 playing as one, or is it still envisaged to have separate age groups as well?

(Glad to see clear mention about not eating outside food at the venue too!)

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:32 pm

Andrew

No separate age limits in each division, but maybe trophies, certificates etc for best performances by age group depending on what the funds look like (a bit like the Witney Rapidplay in a way I suppose!)

Sabrina Chevannes

Post by Sabrina Chevannes » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:49 pm

Hi Andrew

We feel that since chess is unique in the way that all ages can play against each other on a level playing field, why categorise by age group? Instead I think this way reflects the main 4NCL more and this is what it's original intention was. The top division will be a lot more serious for our strongest juniors, then division two will be the new generation coming through and division three will be the seeds.

The main points is that this year there is PRIZE MONEY, which should be an added incentive! Plus, FREE professional coaching from top coaches, which will be structured and available to everyone. It really is great value for money as it is one of the few tournaments that can offer so many things as well as being in such a good venue.

We hope to see Daniel and Zoe there!

Sabrina

Andrew Varney

Post by Andrew Varney » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:34 pm

Since I'll be acting as team manager for a Cumnor/Witney squad (assuming I get enough players signed up) so will be there myself, I might as well bring Zoe and Daniel along as part of the team when they are available! :D

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:07 pm

Just to let parents know that we will have use of the Triumph Bar and the Piazza and Rotunda area at Hinckley Island as parent rest areas. The Triumph Bar on its own can accommodate large numbers of people, and the other two areas are also large open spaces. In addition, there will be a competitively priced food menu during the day, and dinner is half price for children (there will be a fixed price deal like that at the 'main' 4NCL).

If you would like to have a look at the Barcelo Hinckley Island floor plans, here's the link:
http://www.meetpumahotels.co.uk/context ... _floor.gif
Last edited by Mike Truran on Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:23 pm

Mike Truran wrote:Just to let parents know that we will have use of the Triumph Bar and the Piazza and Rotunda area at Hinckley Island as parent rest areas...there will be a competitively priced food menu during the day
Will there be
available? :D

andrew martin

Post by andrew martin » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:46 pm

Looking at the website it seems as though the entry for this weekend is disappointing.

Why aren't people entering this worthwhile event and what can be done to increase entries?

Was the decision to include prize money for a junior event a good one?

Maybe there are some late entries we don't know about.

Andrew Varney

Post by Andrew Varney » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:24 pm

I'm not quite sure myself why the entries are so low.

Part of it from this part of the world (Oxfordshire) is certainly down to the very bad taste left after the first weekend last year. Part of it may be due to lack of awareness: certainly I was surprised that it did not seem to be known about by significant names in the Surrey area when I mentioned it at Richmond last weekend.

The splitting into divisions in principle is a good idea, I think, but may be confusing to some. The division 1 is noticeably lacking in entries, whereas division 3 has quite a few, which surprised me, in fact. I thought division 3 would be at a basic enough level that those who it was addressed to would not be prepared to travel, but rather stick to playing locally. But maybe those who would be attracted to division 1 in principle are already playing in the adult 4NCL tournament, so it does not seem so worthwhile.

And maybe with the rearrangements, some have a "wait and see" attittude and may play at the subsequent weekends?
(Depending what division 3 looks like, I may try to bring a school team along to the January one, beside the club team I'm managing in division 2 - if it's allowed and practical to do so.)

Krishna Shiatis

Post by Krishna Shiatis » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:40 pm

andrew martin wrote:Looking at the website it seems as though the entry for this weekend is disappointing.

Why aren't people entering this worthwhile event....?
This is my opinion:

I can't believe you are asking this question after everything we (the parents) have told you. (Please see my open letter to the ECF and all the parents comments who were brave enough to speak)

English Junior Chess has been strangled from the top down. Participation is falling because nobody has been listening when we have told them what the problems are and nobody has done anything.

You do not think about the children and how to encourage and inspire them. You write horrid things about them and generally you put down parents who speak up. How many people are really going to continue in an environment like this?

The worst thing of all is that despite the fact that participation is falling and that the ECF is struggling financially, still, still, you are ignoring the future of chess in this country - your own juniors - and apart from the select few at the top, you are systematically shooting the rest in the proverbials.
Last edited by Krishna Shiatis on Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sabrina Chevannes

Post by Sabrina Chevannes » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:07 am

Hi Krishna

I am so sorry that you feel this way. I understand that it must be frustrating for you as you have a son who plays (and plays very well) so I can't share that feeling, but watching on as a coach and as someone who really cares about junior chess in this country, it is a real shame to see how static junior chess has become. I wish that people would stop talking and fighting about everything but actually get something done.

That open letter to the ECF attracted a lot of attention on this forum so I am surprised that your issues have not been dealt with yet as it was a very long time ago that was written. However, we have new people on the board now whom I am sure will be much more responsive to the parents as they are an extremely important part - as without them, who would take their children to these tournaments? Who would give them the support they need? I just hope others realise this soon. However, I am just one person and cannot change things by myself unfortunately and the support just isn't there :(

With regards to the Junior 4NCL, I am on my way there now. It is a shame that people have been put off this event as one of the main organisers, Claire Summerscale, is a former Junior Director and a very good one at that. She obviously has lots of experience running successful junior events.
This weekend we have GM Nick Pert coaching, which is free of charge when you enter your team - This is an excellent opportunity for the juniors. Nick is a renowned coach, having helped some fine juniors with their success (e.g. Felix, Peter).

In order to try and raise the profile of this tournament, I will be personally inviting some of the top juniors in our country to form teams in Division One which has a top prize of £300. The event will be FIDE rated and will ensure quality games each weekend if all the top juniors are there. I hope that this will allow team-bonding between the players so our leading juniors will be able to work together with their peers, which can aid as preparation for future England trips. Sometimes it is nice to bounce ideas off your teammates. Also, they can get to know our best coaches, so that when they do go on England trips and represent our country, the coaches will already be familiar with their games, making the process a lot easier and better.

I have ran these ideas past the Junior Director, who thinks it is a nice idea so for the January and March weekends, I hope that the J4NCL will be looking very strong indeed. I am also doing the same with the English girls, forming a female team, as I believe they can take on the boys :)

Division two will be a step down - so those who do not want to play FIDE rated games, or prefer to play a shorter time limit. I will also personally invite some teams for this. These will be the players who may not be in their top 10 in their age group, but who clearly are playing a lot and enjoying the chess and want to play more.

Division three is for anyone - whether you are a beginner, or have played for a while but not played in many competition, this is the division to play in! The games are faster so you can fit more in and there is always a coach on hand so you can ask them anything in between the rounds. This weekend, that coach will be me :)

I hope this system will target all tupes of juniors and I know that Mike, Claire, Alan and the rest of the J4NCL team really want to focus on providing QUALITY coaching for the juniors. The fact that it is at no extra cost to the entry fee is amazing and I think that this league could build up its prestige again if we just give it a chance.

Please, parents and organisers, forget about the past and what hasn't been done, if we can give these events a chance and all work towards a positive future for junior chess, then we can fight this and make things good!!

P.S - I have brought chess for tigers with me to read! So those who have donated for that, thank you :)

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:58 pm

Sabrina Chevannes wrote: P.S - I have brought chess for tigers with me to read!
See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiJqi9Iqo0w for further insight...
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Sabrina Chevannes

Post by Sabrina Chevannes » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:34 pm

Nooooo! John - you should shout: Spoiler Alert! He's giving away too much :( I'm only on the second chapter haha!

Neville Belinfante

Post by Neville Belinfante » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:42 pm

Results after 1st day's play

Division 2
1st Cumnor & Witney 5
2nd Yateley Manor A 4

Division 3
1st Yateley Manor A 23
2nd Yateley Manor C 20
3rd= Northampton B 18
3rd= Yateley Manor E 18

Regards

Neville Belinfante

Alan Kennedy

Post by Alan Kennedy » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:43 am

Sean Hewitt wrote:
Mike Truran wrote:Just to let parents know that we will have use of the Triumph Bar and the Piazza and Rotunda area at Hinckley Island as parent rest areas...there will be a competitively priced food menu during the day
Will there be
available? :D
A certain 4NCL organiser was seen tucking into a burger yesterday lunchtime!
Last edited by Alan Kennedy on Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.