Grade searching

Request amendments or pass comments on this free service.
Nigel Wright

Grade searching

Post by Nigel Wright » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:58 pm

Is there any way to search for a players grade if you only know their first name? If not, would it be an idea to implement it sometime in the near future? Thanks
To Drink or not to Drink, that is the question.

I Drink therefore I am.

I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Dean Madden

Post by Dean Madden » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:57 pm

The only way at the moment would be to download the full csv and search through that.

Gavin Strachan

names

Post by Gavin Strachan » Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:25 pm

Is there any way to search for a players grade if you only know their first name? If not, would it be an idea to implement it sometime in the near future?
So if I was playing some guy called Garry who hasn't got an ECF grade and who seems to be winning all his games in the Minor section of a tournament and he says he hasn't played competitive chess for a while.....

You couldn't search for a player based on just their first name, you would need their surname and even then it can be a challenge (John Smith). Though I now see where you are coming from Nigel and have the database option of First Name as well as or instead of Surname.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:12 pm

Dean Madden wrote:The only way at the moment would be to download the full csv and search through that.
It is supposed to work, but it doesn't so I must be doing something wrong somewhere?

When I did it you were supposed to be able to include the first name

So either of these should work:-
Adams
Adams, M
Adams, Michael

You have to include the space, so it isn't very nice to use I admit...

So in theory

, M

Should work but doesn't, so I will add it to the list of things to check
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:23 pm

Dean Madden wrote:The only way at the moment would be to download the full csv and search through that.
A quick check does not indicate where the problem is - going to take longer than expected this one

I really need to do a proper job at some point rather than the simplistic site it is now but free time is at a premium at the moment, sorry...
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Nigel Wright

Post by Nigel Wright » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:52 am

Thanks Carl

I wasn't meaning for you or anyone else to deal with it asap, I had the next time a new grading list came out in my mind for it being ready, but I suppose the sooner the better if it can be done (without too much hassle, and not to too much expense of whoever does the work) and if people want it implementing.

Thanks again

I Drink therefore I am.

Nigel Wright

Re: names

Post by Nigel Wright » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:57 am

So if I was playing some guy called Garry who hasn't got an ECF grade and who seems to be winning all his games in the Minor section of a tournament and he says he hasn't played competitive chess for a while.....
What I meant, Gavin, was that if you misheard your opponents surname, but had an idea of what it might be close to if you saw it written down, you could then work it out using the database.

It wasn't very clear I know, I was in a bit of a rush when I wrote the post.

I Drink therefore I am.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:58 pm

Nigel Wright wrote:Thanks Carl

I wasn't meaning for you or anyone else to deal with it asap, I had the next time a new grading list came out in my mind for it being ready, but I suppose the sooner the better if it can be done (without too much hassle, and not to too much expense of whoever does the work) and if people want it implementing.

Thanks again
It's me doing the grading site, there isn't anyone else - as for expense it's all done on a free of charge time permitting basis

Hence the delay sometimes...

This one is more of an annoyance it's supposed to work!
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:13 pm

Not forgotten - just lost in time and space

Work and "possible" house move are taking priority at the moment!
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Nigel Wright

Post by Nigel Wright » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:46 pm

Also, and you're probably going to hate me for suggesting this, but would it be possible to search for actual grades? For example, if a tournament organiser or county team captain wants to see how many players there are in their respective areas under certain grades, and how active all of those players are, so they can get a rough idea of what to expect numberwise if they created a tournament or county team?

Like searching for a surname, instead of putting in "smith, john" you put in grade "123" for example.

I've seen some search engines that will allow you to search for numbers (in this instance it would be grades) between certain integers, i.e. between 50 and 100.

Bit long winded I know, and I'll try and clarify if needed...

Thanks

I Drink therefore I am.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:02 pm

The possible house move is still ongoing so I haven't got anywhere on this one to be honest

You can already select either a county or all "potential" players for a county - is that sufficient?

For example this:-
http://grading.bcfservices.org.uk/getco ... DER&sort=2

Or this:-
http://grading.bcfservices.org.uk/getco ... DER&sort=2

How would you narrow the area?

Yes please some clarification is needed on that one
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:01 pm

Nigel Wright wrote:Also, and you're probably going to hate me for suggesting this, but would it be possible to search for actual grades? For example, if a tournament organiser or county team captain wants to see how many players there are in their respective areas under certain grades, and how active all of those players are, so they can get a rough idea of what to expect numberwise if they created a tournament or county team?

Like searching for a surname, instead of putting in "smith, john" you put in grade "123" for example.

I've seen some search engines that will allow you to search for numbers (in this instance it would be grades) between certain integers, i.e. between 50 and 100.

Bit long winded I know, and I'll try and clarify if needed...

Thanks
Very unofficial and so VERY untested but just for you - try this:-
http://grading.bcfservices.org.uk/getgr ... 23&max=123

You need to mess with the min/max in the url to expand it more - plus it needs a lot of work but is that what you are looking for?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Nigel Wright

Post by Nigel Wright » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:12 pm

Yeah, that's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for, thanks for that.

I Drink therefore I am.