England Vs Norway Junior Match

National developments, strategies and ideas.
Sabrina Chevannes

England Vs Norway Junior Match

Post by Sabrina Chevannes » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:53 pm

There will be an England vs Norway Junior match taking place in 45 minutes at the London Chess Classic.

Our team consists of:

Ravi Haria
Conor Murphy
Amy Hoare
Rohan Shiatis

They should be on the live boards on the stage, should those other dudes finish in time :)

David Sedgwick

Re: England Vs Norway Junior Match

Post by David Sedgwick » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:22 am

It was a very enjoyable event, won 6½ - 1½ by Norway. (I think)

Krishna Shiatis

Post by Krishna Shiatis » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:13 am

Sabrina Chevannes wrote:There will be an England vs Norway Junior match taking place in 45 minutes at the London Chess Classic.

Our team consists of:

Ravi Haria
Conor Murphy
Amy Hoare
Rohan Shiatis

They should be on the live boards on the stage, should those other dudes finish in time :)
A very big thank you to Sabrina for organising this and to Malcolm Pein for allowing the use of the facilities during the Classic.

As always, Sabrina's enthusiasm for junior chess is contagious.

It was lovely to see the children playing up on the stage where just minutes earlier the top GMs had been playing. The Norwegian team were amazing in that they had all just finished very long matches in the Open section and were still friendly, sporting and happy. We wish them all the best in their remaining matches.

Rohan was just very proud to have been a part of it all.

Better luck to the England team on Thursday!

PS Thank you to David for enjoying the matches

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:51 am

Are there any photographs of this match? I'd have stayed and watched, but had a chess match that evening. The story of how I tried (subconsciously) to imitate Carlsen's style (as in the game I'd just finished watching) and double my rooks on the f-file and attack my opponent's king, but fail miserably, is best left for another time... (note to self: don't try and copy the style of super-GMs).

Krishna Shiatis

Post by Krishna Shiatis » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:12 am

Hi Christopher,

Yes, we did take some pictures. I have not had time to check mine - if they are suitable. Hopefully some of them will find their way onto the main website.

Also, you should imitate the style of the super GMs. It is actually an excellent technique (IMO). Watch how Magnus sits at the table, his body language and his attitude at the board. If you can match that, it will (at a sub-conscious level) intimidate your opponent. Ultimately, your chess skills will decide if you win or lose, but as a certain supermarket says, 'every little helps...'

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:27 pm

"Every little helps..." but it helps the supermarket more than it helps customers given the price rises and their profits. And, in the case of Olympia (versus Tesco) is it Olympian prices for the food of the gods or would you be better off getting your ambrosia from across the road.

Krishna Shiatis

Post by Krishna Shiatis » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:24 pm

John McKenna wrote:"Every little helps..." but it helps the supermarket more than it helps customers given the price rises and their profits. And, in the case of Olympia (versus Tesco) is it Olympian prices for the food of the gods or would you be better off getting your ambrosia from across the road.
Hi John,

You didn't see us with our muffins did you? :D

In fairness to us, the food was not on sale at that time of the evening. Honest.
Please do not put up a big picture of a muffin.

K

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:23 am

Hi Krishna,
So muffins are your amrita (ambrosia). Mine is Russet apples at present but I did have a muffin yesterday.
Bon nuit for now and bon appetite for breakfast.
John

Sabrina Chevannes

Post by Sabrina Chevannes » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:37 pm

The event was great. I very much enjoyed watching the team play on the big screens and was rather jealous they got to play on the stage!!

All the team were fantastic and were outrated on every board. They did lost 6.5-1.5 but the result does not reflect the games. Ravi drew to a 2213 with Black in the first round but was winning and there was a crazy time scramble. Conor Murphy had a complete draw against a 2063 but again, the time was an issue and then he lost on time in a drawn endgame.
Rohan Shiatis played an almost perfect game again until the time scramble when he got into an unfortunate position.

The 1.5 point came from Ravi's draw in the first round and Conor's amazing win in the second round. Conor was my man of the match as he showed great technique and style in both games.

I am looking forward to the match tomorrow evening against India.