World Chess Club

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Roger de Coverly

World Chess Club

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:38 pm

Anyone remember the World Chess Club? I think it was one of Kirsan's non-events from around ten years ago.

It still exists according to the ECF at http://www.englishchess.org.uk/?page_id=21
16.0 Inclusion in the Rating list
16.4 On appearing in the FRL or FRRL, a player must, so long as he remains on either or both such lists, be a member of World Chess Club
There is no regulation 16. They go up to 13 which says
13.0. Inclusion in the Rating list.
13.1 To be included in the FRL or FIDE Rapidplay Rating list, a player must be a member of a national chess Federation which is a member of FIDE. That is, the Federation must not be temporarily or permanently excluded from membership.
13.2 It is the responsibility of national Federations to inform FIDE if players should not be included in the FRL, FRRL.
13.3 Any player excluded from either rating list because he is unable to obtain membership of a national Federation, my apply to FIDE for special dispensation to be included.
The website comes under Marketing, so factual reliability of the website is presumably now the responsibility of the chess-boxing guy.

Andrew Walker

Re: World Chess Club

Post by Andrew Walker » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:38 am

Or you could mention it to me, RDC, all friendly-like, and I could attempt to right the wrong? My email is [email protected], or [email protected] if 'friendly' is your watchword ... English spoken, no reasonable request denied. Always nice to know you're spending time on the site :)

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:29 pm

Andrew,

You may find the following of relevance, from Facebook:

"Jack Rudd thinks Alex Holowczak would save time by learning to read descriptive notation, as opposed to continually complaining about it when it appears on a scoresheet."

To which I commented:

"But ... I'm a chessplayer? Why would I take a simple solution like that when I can moan and cause a fuss about it instead?"

Andrew Walker

Post by Andrew Walker » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:08 pm

Hello Alex
Nicely put :)
AW

E Michael White

Post by E Michael White » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:57 pm

Alex and Andrew

The snag with your quiet word in the ear approach is that those, who may have taken action on incorrect statements on the website, may not be aware of the update. RDC's method of posting on the Forum addresses this. I realise in this case the reference to WCC is unlikely to be used by anyone.

An astute website designer could tap the accuracy connoisseurs by having a link on the front page, politely asking to be notified of any errors or out of date information. In addition the link needs to show a list of recent additions/corrections, something similar to but better than the SCCU what's new page. That way you keep your customers better informed and gain satisfaction in producing a better product.

Andrew Walker

Post by Andrew Walker » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:46 pm

Hello E Michael

I think you're right. There's already a link (top right) in an attempt to encourage folk to communicate detail changes to us, as accuracy is always a concern. Perhaps I can make this a bit more attention grabbing? I'm always more than happy to make corrections, it's mostly what I do since things change constantly within the ECF and its membership.
On the left hand side (soon to be more prominent) is a link to 'Recently updated' items. Perhaps this too will help when it's nearer the top of the page.

I prefer 'members' to customers, though, it's more friendly, but your points are well made - I would hate to be thought less than astute under any set of circumstances

Anyhoo, back to work :)

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:40 pm

Andrew Walker wrote:On the left hand side (soon to be more prominent) is a link to 'Recently updated' items. Perhaps this too will help when it's nearer the top of the page.
I think that, for this to be useful, it has to be more specific on what's been updated. Telling me that "December 2011", "November 2012" and "October 2012" were all updated today isn't very helpful. If it said "XYZ congress in October 2012 added/updated" that would be much more useful.