New grades are out

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
User avatar
John Upham
Posts: 3529
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:29 am
Location: Cove, Hampshire, England.
Contact:

Re: New grades are out

Postby John Upham » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:08 pm

Is there a standard query to obtain the following:

Most improved standard play rating above 16 and above 18 years of age?

Ditto for rapid play and Blitz ratings...
Chess Images: http://johnupham.smugmug.com/Chess
IT Manager for the British Chess Magazine: http://www.britishchessmagazine.co.uk
Twitter: @jeupham
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/john.upham

Alex Holowczak
Posts: 7403
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Oldbury, Worcestershire
Contact:

Re: New grades are out

Postby Alex Holowczak » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:40 pm

Sebastian Stone wrote:Interestingly, its counting club games which take place over the whole season as taking place on the first of October. This means that if you don't play enough games in a season you may have results from a congress played in November of last season counted rather than a club game played in May.

I must note this quibble has nothing to do with the fact that this feature has resulted in my grade dropping, absolutely nothing at all. :oops:


In fairness, this is nothing to do with the ECF. Your grader submitted the games with inaccurate dates.

User avatar
Sebastian Stone
Posts: 153
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:21 pm

Re: New grades are out

Postby Sebastian Stone » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:52 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Sebastian Stone wrote:Interestingly, its counting club games which take place over the whole season as taking place on the first of October. This means that if you don't play enough games in a season you may have results from a congress played in November of last season counted rather than a club game played in May.

I must note this quibble has nothing to do with the fact that this feature has resulted in my grade dropping, absolutely nothing at all. :oops:


In fairness, this is nothing to do with the ECF. Your grader submitted the games with inaccurate dates.


Thanks, I'll just have to have a word with him. :twisted:
AKA Scott Stone

"Give a man fire and he's warm for a day, set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life."

That's Mr Stone to you, f**kface.

Ian Stephens
Posts: 117
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:59 am
Location: Merseyside

Re: New grades are out

Postby Ian Stephens » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:42 pm

Michael Bennett wrote:In answer to earlier questions, I believe monthly updates are planned to make corrections and add newly played games.


A Well done and thanks to yourself Michael, "Your team" & local graders for producing The Grading lists, it is the unsung Volunteers within the chess world who I appreciate and not the "Wandering egos" without, Sorry thats another thread!

Michael, is it possible to colour code the results column in the list? W_D_L I find this quite handy when doing "at a glance" calculations.

As Tournament secretary at my club and in view of the planned monthly updates, when would be the best time to report anomalies found for games already submitted? I know the obvious answer could be "as soon as", but like chess moves, it is not always so. :)
Ex-President of Liverpool Chess Club, now mere Tournament Controller and Chief bottle washer.

User avatar
Carl Hibbard
Posts: 4492
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:05 pm
Location: Evesham

Re: New grades are out

Postby Carl Hibbard » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:55 pm

Michael Bennett wrote:In answer to earlier questions, I believe monthly updates are planned to make corrections and add newly played games.

Have to say fair play it's a nice job!

How I end up with a 192 grade which is perhaps 20 points above what it should be is a total mystery

Ask Martin Burrows today :oops:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Jim Wadsworth
Posts: 200
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:40 pm

Re: New grades are out

Postby Jim Wadsworth » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:42 pm

looks great, well done all

Alex Holowczak
Posts: 7403
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Oldbury, Worcestershire
Contact:

Re: New grades are out

Postby Alex Holowczak » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:13 pm

Sebastian Stone wrote:
Alex Holowczak wrote:
Sebastian Stone wrote:Interestingly, its counting club games which take place over the whole season as taking place on the first of October. This means that if you don't play enough games in a season you may have results from a congress played in November of last season counted rather than a club game played in May.

I must note this quibble has nothing to do with the fact that this feature has resulted in my grade dropping, absolutely nothing at all. :oops:


In fairness, this is nothing to do with the ECF. Your grader submitted the games with inaccurate dates.


Thanks, I'll just have to have a word with him. :twisted:


Well, in fairness to the grader, he probably wasn't given the proper dates. He might have asked for them, but they didn't know. I am one grader guilty of doing this; I didn't know when some games were graded, so had to put them all on the first day of three (they were played in a strange order).

I wonder if the quality of grading will go up now. People may complain about leagues that miss colours, or incorrect dates.

Mick Norris
Posts: 3463
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:12 am
Location: Harwood, Greater Manchester
Contact:

Re: New grades are out

Postby Mick Norris » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:21 pm

Michael Bennett wrote:Hi John - thanks for that. I did do the web coding of the recent enhancements (in my "spare time"), but I've received huge support from first Carl Hibbard with the handover, then Howard Grist and Richard Haddrell the whole time since then, plus ideas and input from Alex Holowczak & Adam Raoof, and Roger Marsh took an extra look around and tested the new features. So it's been a big team effort and everyone deserves credit.

In answer to earlier questions, I believe monthly updates are planned to make corrections and add newly played games.


Fantastic, well done to all concerned
Any postings on here represent my personal views and should not be taken as representative of the Manchester Chess Federation

User avatar
Christopher Kreuzer
Posts: 4787
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:34 am
Location: London

Re: New grades are out

Postby Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:54 am

Alex Holowczak wrote:I wonder if the quality of grading will go up now. People may complain about leagues that miss colours, or incorrect dates.


I check colours and results, but rarely bother checking dates. I did notice some information on colours missing. Is it worth sending that information in, and should it go direct or via the graders? I don't want to send in the information if it isn't really wanted or needed, but if I do I want to do it with a minimum of fuss and send it to the right place first time.

timlawson
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:44 pm
Location: Northampton

Re: New grades are out

Postby timlawson » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:58 am

I am very impressed with the new functionality on the grading database, it's taking on a "fide" look and there is now lots of useful information for the "statto's" amongst us.

I hope this is the start of more good things to come.

Of course, a big "well done" and a warm "thank you" from me to all those involved. :D
Tim Lawson

User avatar
Sebastian Stone
Posts: 153
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:21 pm

Re: New grades are out

Postby Sebastian Stone » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:59 pm

The problem as I see it is this. My performance last year was inconsistent, I did well in my club and badly outside. Using the current dating system my club games have been virtually ignored.

So this means that despite me performing at an average of 147 through 30 games I have had 15 games at an average of 135 bought forward. Now, I could change this so my club games are counted when the club season ended, which is the end of may. This dating system would involve 14 games at a 164 being bought forward instead.

This won't correct my grade it will merely make it wrong in the other direction. For one simple reason, last season I didn't play at 135, nor did I play at 164. I played at 147, and until that is recognised my grading is potluck based on dates.
AKA Scott Stone

"Give a man fire and he's warm for a day, set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life."

That's Mr Stone to you, f**kface.

AustinElliott
Posts: 559
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:01 pm
Location: North of England
Contact:

Re: New grades are out

Postby AustinElliott » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:37 pm

I'm just rather chuffed to have a grading for the first time since my late teens.

And ditto the congrats to the coders/database-ers on the excellent presentation and all the info now displayed.

Michael Bennett
Posts: 139
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:31 am
Contact:

Re: New grades are out

Postby Michael Bennett » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:55 pm

Thanks again to everyone for the feedback! It's great to see the new site features are being well received.

John Upham wrote:Is there a standard query to obtain the following:

Most improved standard play rating above 16 and above 18 years of age?

Ditto for rapid play and Blitz ratings...

The standard queries available have remained pretty much identical to the old site. I'd say there is room for the addition of an 'Advanced Search' at some point though, to enable users to make customised searches.

Ian P Stephens wrote:Michael, is it possible to colour code the results column in the list? W_D_L I find this quite handy when doing "at a glance" calculations.

I'll have a look at this when I have time - maybe a coloured border around each result, so that it still leaves the black text on white background quite legible?

Ian P Stephens wrote:As Tournament secretary at my club and in view of the planned monthly updates, when would be the best time to report anomalies found for games already submitted?


Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Christopher Kreuzer
I check colours and results, but rarely bother checking dates. I did notice some information on colours missing. Is it worth sending that information in, and should it go direct or via the graders? I don't want to send in the information if it isn't really wanted or needed, but if I do I want to do it with a minimum of fuss and send it to the right place first time..

These two are for Richard to answer.
Michael Bennett
Hendon Chess Club: http://www.hendonchessclub.com
Golders Green Rapidplays: http://www.goldersgreenchess.blogspot.com

Paul Cooksey

Re: New grades are out

Postby Paul Cooksey » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:04 pm

I'll add my congratulations to Michael. I think there is some room for improvement in the grading system itself, but the website upgrade is certainly a good job.

If he is taking minor rfcs, perhaps positions could be numbered on the top lists? Maybe also these rankings could appear on the player profiles.

Michael Bennett
Posts: 139
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:31 am
Contact:

Re: New grades are out

Postby Michael Bennett » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:15 pm

Ok, I have added a coloured border around each result, to tie them in with the games result pie chart below. Thanks for the idea Ian!
Michael Bennett
Hendon Chess Club: http://www.hendonchessclub.com
Golders Green Rapidplays: http://www.goldersgreenchess.blogspot.com


Return to “General Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests