English Chess Forum

A home for discussions on the English Chess scene.
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:34 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:34 am
Posts: 4307
Location: Whitton, London
Some interesting statistics about chess countries here (comparing 2008 and 2012):

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=7913

Top 20 (roughly) for:

Number of internationally rated players
Increase in the number of rated players
Average ratings of the rated players
Titled players

England only appears in one of those lists. Guess which one. Anyone know the numbers for England for the other three?

PS. Extra-special bonus points for working out why the number of GMs England has has remained the same at 35 between 2008 and 2012 (yes, this is a trick question of sorts).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm
Posts: 11239
Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
PS. Extra-special bonus points for working out why the number of GMs England has has remained the same at 35 between 2008 and 2012 (yes, this is a trick question of sorts).


That's obvious enough. We've only ever imported two, Suba and Lalic, and even they returned to their original affiliations. We've exported at least 4, Gallagher to Switzerland, Kosten to France, Norwood to Andorra and Turner to Scotland. The last two were quite recent. I'm trying to remember the newest GMs, two from Howell, Jones and Haslinger I'd presume.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:06 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:13 am
Posts: 2275
Location: Bideford
Roger de Coverly wrote:
I'm trying to remember the newest GMs, two from Howell, Jones and Haslinger I'd presume.


Stephen Gordon's more recent than any of those.

_________________
http://westcountrychess.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:34 am
Posts: 4307
Location: Whitton, London
I'd forgotten Norwood's switch to Andorra. There are several changes I need to add to an updated version of this (including the newest IM):

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2165

Howell, Jones and Haslinger were all 2007. Simon Williams only became a GM in 2008 (year of title ratification). Stephen Gordon was in 2009. Nothing since then. Norwood and Turner leaving would explain the number of England GMs staying at 35, though I'd have to check the actual lists used to create the stats and see where Norwood and Turner are in those. Either 2 for 2, or 1 for 1, depending on whether Williams was included in the 2008 stats, and whether Turner had yet changed on the list.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 5:18 pm
Posts: 7357
Location: Oldbury, Worcestershire
No new Grandmasters for three years, and there aren't exactly a queue of people fighting it out to be the next one. At least, not in the immediate future.

_________________
April 26-27: National Club Championships
July 12: County Championship Finals Day
July 19-August 2: British Chess Championships


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:47 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:13 am
Posts: 2275
Location: Bideford
Alex Holowczak wrote:
No new Grandmasters for three years, and there aren't exactly a queue of people fighting it out to be the next one. At least, not in the immediate future.


I think Jonathan Hawkins looks pretty close: two GM norms already, and his 4NCL results so far this season are as follows:

1 v 2191 wm
1 v 2516 g
1 v 2267
½ v 2421 m
1 v 2419 m
½ v 2653 g

_________________
http://westcountrychess.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 5:18 pm
Posts: 7357
Location: Oldbury, Worcestershire
IM Jack Rudd wrote:
Alex Holowczak wrote:
No new Grandmasters for three years, and there aren't exactly a queue of people fighting it out to be the next one. At least, not in the immediate future.


I think Jonathan Hawkins looks pretty close: two GM norms already, and his 4NCL results so far this season are as follows:

1 v 2191 wm
1 v 2516 g
1 v 2267
½ v 2421 m
1 v 2419 m
½ v 2653 g


Aha, I hadn't tracked this!

_________________
April 26-27: National Club Championships
July 12: County Championship Finals Day
July 19-August 2: British Chess Championships


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], IM Jack Rudd, NickFaulks, Stewart Reuben and 13 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group