Update on Project?

Discussions regarding the 70,000 Free Chess Sets for Schools in England.
Neill Cooper

Re: Update on Project?

Post by Neill Cooper » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:28 pm

emma bentleys dad wrote:I 100,000 chess boards a millimetre thick x 45cm square and 200,000 10cm cubes approx.
The boards are 25m3 and the sets 200m3.

If you find the slide rule I would like to use it as an illustration in a maths masterclass on Saturday

David Bentley

Post by David Bentley » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:37 pm

My 54 year old Rabone Chesterman slide rule is in the garage. You can have it anytime as long as you promise to let me have it back. Cost my dad a lot of money.
Cheers
Container capacity 67.5m3
Truth Before Tact

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:41 am

Matthew Turner wrote:3. Holloid are employing a PR agent - this is not going to be cheap, so demonstrates at least a certain level of commitment.
Anyone seen any sign of this PR anywhere on the internet :?:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:17 am

There will be a Chess in Schools conference 25th-27th February 2209 in Turin (Torino-Italy).

The opening ceremony will be attended by the President of FIDE, Mr Ilyumzhinov. Among the speakers in the 3 days there will be many GMs, representatives of Fide and of many chess Federations, and obviously Italian teachers and experts.

Official web site and the complete program: http://www.turinchessinschools.com

Maybe Gerry can get to this?
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:54 am

The ultimate ECF Board???

Gotta nominate Jackass crew....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RK0A7UOA3w
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:23 pm

I guess most forum contributors have lost the will to live on this topic now.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:30 pm

Mike Truran wrote:I guess most forum contributors have lost the will to live on this topic now.
I have had a couple of attempts at Google for both the PR company acting on behalf of Holloid and any further updates but without any success

:roll:

As in:-

"We appointed a PR firm to act for the company yesterday and they have confirmed that they will also work on this chess project for us. A formal press release for our customers, regarding the acquisition, will be issued next week and I will have a copy forwarded to you."

You would have expected some sort of press release by now?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:56 am

Information regarding this project is on a strictly need to know basis. The chess playing and organising community does not need to know.

I spoke with a reluctant Board member at the most recent 4NCL weekend and asked for a progress update. I received nothing concrete in reply apart from a grin and a swift exit from the room :shock:

Interpret that as you will.

We must now assume a mushroom like existence in all this. Nothing will happen so let us move on a forget this whole damned affair. I've wasted far too much energy attempting to get answers to reasonable questions.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:56 pm

Looking on the bright side, a gentleman called Stanford may take some of the heat off chessplayers, as the press will find him rather more interesting. Bad publicity for ECF would reflect badly on all of us associated with chess, even those of us who have done nothing wrong.....
"Kevin was the arbiter and was very patient. " Nick Grey

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:16 pm

A meeting was held but with little further details

http://www.bcf.org.uk/organisation/meet ... _feb09.htm
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:58 pm

It should be clear to everyone that this is very good news. The meeting was held on 20th January, yet the minutes didn't go up on ECF website until 2nd March. I can only assume that the Office Staff have been too busy packaging and distributing free chess sets to keep the website up-to-date. Happy days indeed.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:49 pm

Matthew Turner wrote: I can only assume that the Office Staff have been too busy packaging and distributing free chess sets to keep the website up-to-date.
I know that the office processed a direct membership application for a member of the AMCA 4NCL squad and that applicants should "allow up to five working days" for their application to be turned round. I apologise if that extra workload contributed to the delay.

I note that
The need for Project Management was agreed. This could be funded from the JRT loan.
Will this new role be advertised do we think?
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:44 am

John Upham wrote:
The need for Project Management was agreed. This could be funded from the JRT loan.
Will this new role be advertised do we think?
I doubt it...
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:59 am

Ernie Lazenby wrote:I have been waiting to read about the meeting Mr Majer was going to have with some potential sonsors? Sponsors that were apparently going to help Holloid offset the costs? Have the sponsors not been forthcoming.
The quoted PR company are still working on the officially mentioned press release :roll:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:38 pm

Ernie Lazenby wrote: Where is it recorded that the JRT fund loan can be used to pay for a project manager, I would like to read it. Was the possibility brought to the members attention when the loan was authorised?
Hi Ernie,

It was so recorded. It was in the documentation sent to all ECF delegates prior to the EGM that approved the loan. It specifically mentioned that the employment of a project manager was one of the costs that necessitated the loan.

If you want to read this for yourslef, your local ECF delegate should be able to provide the docs for you.

Sean