Is something up with the Internet today?

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
Angus French

Is something up with the Internet today?

Post by Angus French » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:03 pm

... it seems slow and I'm not sure it's just me that's affected.

Alex Holowczak

Re: Is something up with the Internet today?

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:34 pm

"The Internet" is not a centralised object, so there can never be something wrong with it, because there would have to be something wrong with millions of networks simultaneously, which is never going to happen.

More likely, you have one or more of the following problems:
(1) Internet connection speed
(2) Bandwidth problems
(3) Your web browser
(4) Your DNS lookup

For reasons unknown to me, by ISP always struggles to provide bandwidth on Sunday at 8pm. Presumably lots of people are streaming Top Gear simultaneously...

George Szaszvari

Post by George Szaszvari » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:52 am

Alex Holowczak wrote:"The Internet" is not a centralised object, so there can never be something wrong with it, because there would have to be something wrong with millions of networks simultaneously, which is never going to happen.... [snip]
Never going to happen? I hope not any time soon, since cutting into my Facebook time (my latest addiction) would be insufferable. The vastness of the Internet system might make it resilient enough in general, but perhaps the more knowledgeable here can advise us about the potential for humanoids to bring it down (I recall the panic concerning a nasty virus that was supposed to have slowed things down considerably) as well as for excessive space radiation to damage electronic systems on earth.

Justin Hadi

Post by Justin Hadi » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:38 pm

The internet is surely vulnerable...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTBsm0LzSP0