When termites attack

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
John McKenna

Re: When termites attack

Post by John McKenna » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:46 pm

Sorry Geoff but Kirsan has decreed that you lost by default due to the start time of the game being set to 12:00 Zulu time. You made your first move and posted your claim 22 mins after FIDE's zero-tolerance time.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:03 pm

Oh, BTW, a certain blog has raised the spectre of a rival to the Higgs Boson - it is called the Ward-Higgs and, strangely enough, is thought to be co-spatial with the whereabouts of a particular individual know as the Chairman of the Governance Committee. The mind boggles.

John Philpott

Post by John Philpott » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:04 pm

For once the criticism from Steve is well deserved.

The Chairman of the Governance Committee is, however, taking drastic action in order to get his act together. He is taking early retirement on 18 July in order to be able to spend sufficient time going forward on chess administration.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:27 pm

Blimey John, that's pretty drastic - can you persuade Big Sam to follow suit? :wink:
Any postings on here represent my personal views

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:13 am

A certain blog contains a piece, dated Sat. 16 June, entitled Thunder and Lightning (in German) and in it the following claim is made - "my blog of 11th May set off a long debate among the termites regarding the rights and wrongs of the CAS court (sic) action..."
Steve seems to have had an off day - his link to his 11th MAY blog brings up his 11th June one and rightly so as his 11th May subject was 'pants' not CAS. Discussion of the CAS action, in the thread he refers to, actually began 6th June. Strike 2!

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:11 am

John McKenna wrote:A certain blog contains a piece, dated Sat. 16 June, entitled Thunder and Lightning (in German) and in it the following claim is made - "my blog of 11th May set off a long debate among the termites regarding the rights and wrongs of the CAS court (sic) action..."
Steve seems to have had an off day - his link to his 11th MAY blog brings up his 11th June one and rightly so as his 11th May subject was 'pants' not CAS. Discussion of the CAS action, in the thread he refers to, actually began 6th June. Strike 2!
The blog post in question is here:

http://stevegiddinschessblog.blogspot.c ... itzen.html

On the CAS thread, to be fair, I did link to his blog post on that subject at one point, so arguably the discussion from that point onwards might have been in some way linked to what he said, though you are right to say that the discussion relating to CAS in that thread started on 6th June. Steve Giddins does raise some valid points about the Donner thread. It's his choice not to post here, but someone should point out in that thread what he has said (pointing out the Donner game for Mr de Haas), so I'll do that.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:32 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote: though you are right to say that the discussion relating to CAS in that thread started on 6th June.
The forum debate on arbiter bans, related and unrelated issues started with a public call for ECF action by Alex McF. Unlike his previous request about press coverage of the Sheffield prize giving, this one elicited almost immediate action.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:52 pm

I see that there has been a correction of the misdirected link on the (usually) certain blog. Just as the blogger stands by his "story" of 11th June I stand by my post above - there had already been extended debate on the forum regarding the CAS action. ("The issue that got collars most heated is the fact that the ECF's involvement was not disclosed." SG admitted on 11th Jun.) What the blog added to the forum debate was hearsay about reasons for the non-disclosure of the ECF's involvement to the 2011 AGM.

IanDavis

Post by IanDavis » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:48 pm

Trolls never admit they are wrong.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:49 pm

I imagine I am the envy of other termites, having inspired another post by Mr Toad. It even got a retweet from from RDK himself. Honour indeed, although I will admit to being a bit confused about being both a termite and the insectivore Cuckoo.

However I'd like to clear up one point to avoid any further confusion. I am not now, nor have I even been, a bedfellow of Mr Giddins. To clear up confusion on the part of readers, I mean. Any lifestyle confusion Steve is experiencing remains, and I cannot stress this strongly enough, his own business.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:54 pm

I think the blogger in question could be making a call for help and that he is using the word 'cuckoo' in a specific non-ornithological way. There he is in a blog-standard straight-jacket in solitary confinement, similar to the situation of the character Randle P. McMurphy in a certain book/film and he needs the help of a "Chief" Bromden to break him out of that mental imprisonment. My fear is should he escape he could find himself in a worse predicament... like that of the injured author in Misery.

Ian Kingston

Post by Ian Kingston » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:19 am

An insight into termite biology:

Termites explode to defend their colonies

Possibly best not to read this while eating.