99th British #Chess Championships 2012

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Alan Burke

Re: 99th British #Chess Championships 2012

Post by Alan Burke » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:20 pm

Chris K; I believe that the other thread was locked because it had drifted away from the subject matter (ie "English arbiters to suffer ?"), whereas my comment above is on the subject of this particular thread (ie "99th British Championships 2012").

As you can see from Andrew Farthing's post, it certainly appears I am not the only one who still wanted to show support for Lara.

I also think it unfortunate for Alex that his thread regarding English arbiters was derailed by others wanting to talk about a different matter and has now prevented his particular subject from being fully discussed.

Lara Barnes

Post by Lara Barnes » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:19 pm

A big Thank You to Andrew Farthing for his kind words. He has supported The British Championships, North East 2012, from the beginning and has directed extra help my way from the ECF office in the form of Andrew Walker (ECF Webmaster) to help me with the website and the online entry system and to help Roger Edwards with putting the entries on the website.

Thanks to everyone else who has sent supportive notes, it makes all the difference to morale!

Lara Barnes

Post by Lara Barnes » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:35 pm

Some of the social programme to whet your appetite?

Jonathan Barrand of North Tyneside Tourism (who some of you might remember from his visit to the Sheffield British last year) has offered a FREE 'BUS TOUR OF THE AREA' on Tuesday 24th July (3rd full day of the event). I have asked him to put it on at 2.30 so parents of juniors can see their children settled to play before going sightseeing and morning participants can take a break. You will take in Roman ruins and a medieval abbey as well as several surprises.

Jonathan has announced that The annual Sandcastle Competition (with a chess theme!) will now be on the first Sunday (sorry, the tide was wrong on the middle Sunday) at Whitley Bay. If you have not experienced the 'perfect sandcastle sand' of the North East coast you have missed out. I am sure there was an episode of BBC's Coast dedicated to it!

Gerry Beldon of 'Mindsports World', based in Whitley Bay, is helping me organise a Ceilidh on the middle Saturday! There will be floor spots available for anyone who would like to sing, joke or play.

The annual quiz, on Sunday 29th July, has been booked into The Boardwalk, Whitley Bay. The Boardwalk http://boardwalkwb.pcbus.elementfx.com/index.html is a great music and comedy venue right on the beach.

I am adding to the weekday evening programme every day and can promise mindsports taster sessions, beginners' bridge, blitz and variants cometitions

Hope to see you there!

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:48 am

My sources (and I have a few) suggest that many of the country's top players will be there and we can look forward to a hard fought competition with lots of fighting chess. It's a shame the big three will be absent but Luke McShane probably wouldn't have played in any event while Nigel Short and Michael Adams would have made for a bit of a two horse race.

I will be going although work commitments will probably stop me from doing more than making a day trip as a spectator. I've never been to a British before and I'm looking forward to it.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Dan O'Dowd

Post by Dan O'Dowd » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:07 am

Just a support message to the mighty Lara to say I'll be there ^^ Playing five events over the fortnight, 24 games, with a possible 264 hours of chess lmao. I'm hoping I can entice a big Cumbrian contingent to come and I'm hoping I can make some new buddies to train with and learn from. :)

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:02 pm

Dan O'Dowd wrote:Just a support message to the mighty Lara to say I'll be there ^^ Playing five events over the fortnight, 24 games, with a possible 264 hours of chess lmao. I'm hoping I can entice a big Cumbrian contingent to come and I'm hoping I can make some new buddies to train with and learn from. :)
Well done Dan! I see numbers now exceed 300. That's a decent start. I'm waiting for my name to appear three times, a few more like us and we might crack 400 by the time the entry fees rocket up on Thursday next week.

Lara Barnes

Post by Lara Barnes » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:32 pm

A reminder to get your entries in soon to avoid the late entry charges. Confirmation of entry from titled players should also be sent please.

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:43 pm

Just had a quick count-up. There are 369 entries for North Shields so far. That includes 5 GMs in Jones, Howell, Gordon, Williams and Arkell. Getting stronger!

There was a fantastic entry for Sheffield, so it may surprise to some people that at this stage last year there were 20 fewer entries overall - 349! So the pessimists and party poppers may be wrong after all. Still waiting for my name to appear and I know others are checking daily for their names, so I'd expect figures to climb again by the 2 July deadline. It's going to be a great fortnight again!

Lara Barnes

Post by Lara Barnes » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:26 pm

Absolutely! We are getting entries from corners of the British Isles and further that we have never had before. Just a reminder that there is a bigger and better social programme this year as well.
We have more Arbiters also.
speaking of which, if anyone can offer Neville a lift up from High Whickham...?

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:34 pm

Lara Barnes wrote:can offer Neville a lift up from High Whickham...?
Even Americans spell High Wycombe better than that :D

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:56 pm

Lara Barnes wrote:We have more Arbiters also.
Don't put people off! :lol:

Lara Barnes

Post by Lara Barnes » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:42 pm

We could do with a few more Under 13s and 14s - pass on the message to those young people and remind them there are two new junior awards up for grabs! Don't forget the free coaching!

William Metcalfe

Post by William Metcalfe » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:00 pm

Unfortunatly we only have 1 junior in that age bracket Lara and he is already playing in the under 14s
I am speaking here for myself and not the NCCU which i am now president of

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:04 pm

Leicestershire have the right to nominate someone to play in the British Championships as we are an MO. It looks as if we may struggle to find someone local to nominate this year so, if any forumite would like to play in the Championships but is not qualified, let me know and we will consider nominating someone from outside of the county.

It seems better to me for us to utilise the option is someone wants to play.

Andrew Camp

Post by Andrew Camp » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:23 pm

I nominate Lee Bullock. :)
Chairman of North Wales Junior Chess Association
[email protected]