Forum history and dynamics

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Christopher Kreuzer

Forum history and dynamics

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:08 pm

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned here:

http://stevegiddinschessblog.blogspot.c ... -back.html

"Several years ago, the ECF Council, in a rare display of common sense, voted to sever connections between the ECF and the Forum, after it became clear that the termites had cost the ECF at least one major sponsor. But, a year or so later, the Board voted to reverse a large element of that decision, re-establishing relations between the ECF and the Forum, and allowing/encouraging individual directors to post on the Forum. Even if not technically ultra vires, it was a clear breach of the spirit of Council's vote. Even more importantly, it was spectacularly stupid."

Is anyone able to go into more details or point to where this is documented?

Carl Hibbard

Re: Forum history and dynamics

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:13 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Who quoted Steve Giddins with:

...had cost the ECF at least one major sponsor.
Not true

Part of the cover up as Chess for Schools slowly collapsed, I should have published the background information I had at the time
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:20 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:
Christopher Kreuzer wrote: Quoting Steve Giddins: "...had cost the ECF at least one major sponsor.
Not true

Part of the cover up as Chess for Schools slowly collapsed, I should have published the background information I had at the time
OK, but could you make clear that the above is what Steve Giddins wrote, and that I'm quoting him?

David Lettington

Post by David Lettington » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:21 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote: Not true
I can't imagine it helped though. It's difficult to know what is in a potential sponsor's mind. Furthermore, if they decide not to continue with sponsorship, it may well not be for the reason that they provide publicly.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:27 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Carl Hibbard wrote:
Christopher Kreuzer wrote: Quoting Steve Giddins: "...had cost the ECF at least one major sponsor.
Not true

OK, but could you make clear that the above is what Steve Giddins wrote, and that I'm quoting him?
Done, sorry about that...
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:30 pm

David Lettington wrote:
Carl Hibbard wrote: Not true
I can't imagine it helped though. It's difficult to know what is in a potential sponsor's mind. Furthermore, if they decide not to continue with sponsorship, it may well not be for the reason that they provide publicly.
It was just fantasy and part of the Holloid/ECF cover up

I was informed off the record that the project was dead in late November 2008 so the rest was just people going through the motions...
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:40 pm

As CEO of the Federation, Farthing should have ensured that all public comments on behalf of the ECF were put through a competent, designated Media Relations Officer, with all other Directors/officers/employees of the Federation strictly forbidden to issue comments.

As the "other Directors/officers" are not in fact employees of the Federation this would plainly be impossible and the suggestion is equally plainly a silly one.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:20 pm

Mini Me Gibbon as always is shite-stirring, just looking for attention. Out of the loop, his main source of dubious misinformation these days is the Michelin Penguin, always an agenda, rarely to be trusted. Why does anyone bother reading Gibbon's webshite?

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:29 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:Why does anyone bother reading Gibbon's webshite?
Because when he just sticks to chess, he isn't so bad?? I do appreciate that this is an increasingly rare event these days :wink:
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:32 pm

I was actually also looking for more background on this bit: "Several years ago, the ECF Council, in a rare display of common sense, voted to sever connections between the ECF and the Forum". Is that right or wrong? Surely that is a matter that is on the record, even if the reasons given are wrong. Are there threads on here that covered what happened at the time?

William Metcalfe

Post by William Metcalfe » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:38 pm

It is right the then ECF board blamed this forum for them lossing a so called sponsor something they never provided any evidence for.
There were lots of threads at the time that will still be on the site Chris
I am speaking here for myself and not the NCCU which i am now president of

John Philpott

Post by John Philpott » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:01 pm

William Metcalfe wrote
See http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php ... 1&start=45

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:15 pm

John Philpott wrote:William Metcalfe wrote
See http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php ... 1&start=45
Thanks. I recognise the name Chris Majer (was that before or after Martin Regan?), but not some of the other names. I read ChessMoves at the time, but I think people don't always realise how obscure much of ECF politics and administration is to most people. Differing accounts, depending on who is reporting or where you are reading about something. Finding a single comprehensive and reliable account of some aspects of what has happened can be difficult.

John Philpott

Post by John Philpott » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:31 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote
Thanks. I recognise the name Chris Majer (was that before or after Martin Regan?), but not some of the other names
Chris became CEO after Martin Regan resigned. If you let me know the other names that you are unfamiliar with I will do my best to give you a steer as to their background.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:54 pm

John Philpott wrote:Christopher Kreuzer wrote
Thanks. I recognise the name Chris Majer (was that before or after Martin Regan?), but not some of the other names
Chris became CEO after Martin Regan resigned. If you let me know the other names that you are unfamiliar with I will do my best to give you a steer as to their background.
Er. Peter Wilson, Charles Woods, Robert Richmond? Those are the only ones I remember from reading that thread. I think some of the thread suffers from some posts having been removed, possibly when some people closed down their accounts? There are certainly some quoted bits that don't seem to appear anywhere in the thread, though as I started reading it at the point halfway through that you (correctly) pointed me too, I may be misreading that. It was interesting reading, but at a remove of 4 years, difficult to get a real handle on how much it meant at the time and now.