Media comments on chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Brian Towers

Re: Media comments on chess

Post by Brian Towers » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:41 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:The 12-year-old Jack Rudd was graded 168 at the time, and was up on the top five boards by right. :D
Touche!

It must have been a year earlier then. I left the UK in June 1991 and this Cornwall v Somerset match result from March 1991 - http://www.cornwallchess.org.uk/html/ar ... 1991.shtml - shows your rating as 142, so it must have been the 11 year old Jack Rudd who was given an outing on one of the Somerset top boards.
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:25 am

Sunday Times 15.02. Page 22.
Article concerning people slow to see danger and thus must trust in the sixth sense of a sniper. It quotes:
Research by Adriaan de Groot, found similar pattern of instant decision-taking among chess masters. Like the Swat team, they were able to grasp the whol picture and make a decision in abou 5 seconds.
Modern techniques of measuring magnetic resonance in the brain imply tht chess masters are pulling information from their long-term memory. Chess novices in the same situation engage a part of the brain associated with encoding new information.
An expert making a decision on a chessboard or in a crisis draws on a mass of data the rest of us don't have.

I last looked at de Groot's book about 50 years ago.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:03 pm

Today's Daily Express (I hasten to add that I received vouchers for free copies - I didn't buy it) has an advert masquerading as an article for "The Joy of Retirement" by Ted Heybridge. He recommends, inter alia, keeping your brain active with "bridge, chess, crosswords, Sudoku, and cryptogram or any kind of problem-solving exercise." (No mention of futoshiki.) The article is accompanied by a large still from "Quartet" (2013) showing Billy Connolly playing chess against David Ryall.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:01 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-31548749
A way of trying to raise interest in chess for more casual viewers.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:13 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote: A way of trying to raise interest in chess for more casual viewers.
It seems to be much the same line of thought that Agon were seeking to develop. Is it known whether this approach of trying to fragment "evaluation" into components has had any practical value in training?

Another approach would be to ask three or more engines to give their best three or four moves and their evaluation. If they all come up with one critical move, then it's an only move. If they present a variety of choices with about equal evaluations, then it's a position where almost anything could be played.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:13 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-31548749
A way of trying to raise interest in chess for more casual viewers.
... and, if it works, a tool which would allow players to determine their own strengths and weaknesses, and, of course, allow their opponents to do the same when preparing (listen to the comments at the end of the clip on Akobian and Bu Xiangzhi).

Francis Fields

Post by Francis Fields » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:59 pm

This Week 21 Feb 2015

Apparently chess is going to be included on the national curriculum in Spain.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:02 pm

Francis Fields wrote:This Week 21 Feb 2015

Apparently chess is going to be included on the national curriculum in Spain.
I wouldn't be so sure
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:59 pm

The usual problem is that if you put something into the curriculum you have to take something else out, which is where votes become harder to find.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Clive Blackburn

Post by Clive Blackburn » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:04 pm

Also, if chess was made a part of the national curriculum then they might well have difficulty finding enough suitably qualified coaches.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:29 am

Seen on TV, while watching Indin Summers, an ad by LEXUS. Two men were paying chess in it, but it goes past very rapidly.

Ian Kingston

Post by Ian Kingston » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:09 pm

On University Challenge tonight: a set of three bonus questions on World Chess Champions. The answers concerned Steinitz, Lasker and Capablanca.

Francis Fields

Post by Francis Fields » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:36 am

Saturday 25th February 2015

The Daily Mail had a picture of a delicate painted hand playing a game of chess.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:51 pm

'The Death’s Head Chess Club' by John Donoghue (Many 5/5 reviews so far):
"SS Obersturmfuhrer Paul Meissner arrives in Auschwitz from the Russian front. After being badly wounded he is fit only for administrative duty and his first and most pressing task is to improve flagging camp morale. He sets up a chess club which thrives, as the officers and enlisted men are allowed to gamble on the results of the games. However, when Meissner learns from a chance remark that chess is also played by the prisoners he hears of a Jewish watchmaker who is 'unbeatable'. Meissner sets out to discover the truth behind this rumour and what he finds will haunt him to his death... "

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:07 pm

I caught a brief bit on Radio 5 live today with an interview with the Murray brothers and the Bryan twins (US tennis doubles world number 1s), in which the Bryans said they played chess against each other - nothing from Andy or Jamie
Any postings on here represent my personal views