Media comments on chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
JustinHorton

Re: Media comments on chess

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:58 pm

Buzzfeed:
DC Is Watching Russia’s Latest Chess Moves Very Carefully

“It’s like the raptors testing the fence in Jurassic Park,” one administration official said.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:24 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:Thursday's Times bursting with chess. The first good. The second dreadful.
Page 37 Chess Wizard playing for the endgame
The presidential nominee of the Libertarian Party may have some starling gaps in his knowledge of foreign affairs, but Gerry Johnson makes up for this with his chess skills. He has been known to play 3 games of chess simultaneously blindfold.
Gary
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:51 pm

There is quite a bit of chess, as imagery and as an analogy for Harlem politics, in Netflix's latest super-hero series, Luke Cage,

The character Bobby Fish spoke about mastering the Backmar-Diemer Gambit in one episode, although I was a bit disappointed the reference to a ropey gambit wasn't relevant to his character development.

Chess used as a way of implying cool characters with street smarts were thoughtful and capable of planning. So the kind of association boxers and rappers try to make sometimes, secure in the knowledge they won't get tarnished by any association with geekery.

IanCalvert

Post by IanCalvert » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:23 pm

Googling Hilary Clinton Chess is interesting.

One of my favourites is " Clinton v Trump becomes chess v professional wrestling" ... October 10

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:54 pm

More on the current version of the Great Game (if indeed it ever went away):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2016-37722140

"The Russians "have played chess for a long time and like to scramble the board as conditions warrant," Chow said in a recent report"

The link is to this report:

https://www.csis.org/analysis/turkish-stream-redux

"I have observed this complicated game for more than 20 years. It often resembles three-dimensional chess, except even in three-dimensional chess the boards do not all move at the same time. In this case, the boards move constantly."

"there will only be one winner, Turkey’s new old friends in St. Petersburg, who have played chess for a long time and like to scramble the board as conditions warrant."

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:57 am

Garth Crooks
it was like watching chess legend Boris Spassky make a move that no-one saw coming
:roll:
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:15 pm

Hi Nick,

A good spot. I wonder what game Garth Crooks was thinking of when " Boris Spassky make a move that no-one saw coming."

Maybe: G. Andruet - B. Spassky French Ch. 1988. (Black to Play.)

Spassky played....

Garth Crooks: Is a good name for commentator to slip into chess mode. (He has a Rook in his name and has castled Kingside. )

Joshua Gibbs

Post by Joshua Gibbs » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:39 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:Hi Nick,

A good spot. I wonder what game Garth Crooks was thinking of when " Boris Spassky make a move that no-one saw coming."

Maybe: G. Andruet - B. Spassky French Ch. 1988. (Black to Play.)

Spassky played....

Garth Crooks: Is a good name for commentator to slip into chess mode. (He has a Rook in his name and has castled Kingside. )
Spassky's opponent would have been mated with a knight on f1

Simon Brown

Post by Simon Brown » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:20 pm

Nice move Geoff, but it wasn't the French Championship. Gilles won it in 1988 when it was closed, so Spassky wouldn't have been eligible.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:27 pm

Wasn't he a fully naturalised Frenchman by then?
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Leonard Barden

Post by Leonard Barden » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:42 pm

The Andruet v Spassky game was played in the Bundesliga match Koblenz v Solingen.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:52 pm

Thanks Leonard,

I was just about to correct that. The source was Chessgames. com

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1129505

(I know that is one site that needs double checked. I have in the past corrected quite a few of their threads.)

I'll have to send them 'another' correction slip.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:57 pm

JustinHorton wrote:Back to proper journalists. Sid Lowe's weekly round-up from La Liga writes of Quique Setién, coach of Las Palmas:
He complains that football has been distorted by money and doesn’t seem to much like the way the game has gone, saying in one interview that he’d sometimes rather play chess than watch a game on telly.
(Looking it up, he said it in 2013 to El País.)

And Lowe again today:
Quique Setién said he was a Rolling Stone, but not which one. Keef, probably. An errand boy at a pharmaceutical college at 14, a beach football international and a proper football international too, somewhere on the bench at Mexico 86, he said he’d have cut off his little finger to play under Johan Cruyff, claimed that Juan Carlos Valerón made him cry, asked Leo Messi never to retire, excitedly sought out Luka Modric to tell him how much he loves watching him and bemoaned dribblers becoming an “endangered species.” A chess fanatic who gave Garry Kasparov a game, Deep Blue too
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:19 pm

The Garth Crooks Spassky move - not seen coming 15Nd6 v Bronstein 1960 (the game for the Bond film).
Crystal Palace's defence in the match was pretty poor & the pass was really not that fantastic compared to others this weekend.

Anyway Champions League this week so expect some more chess/football comments...