DGT2010 clocks

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Greg Breed

Re: DGT2010 clocks

Post by Greg Breed » Fri May 29, 2015 1:32 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Greg Breed wrote: Unlike a tournament, most clubs play league chess in the evening where time for set up is limited. Having preset time controls for various leagues would speed things up massively and also reduce the complexity for all involved.
In the relatively unlikely event that all the local leagues and competitions agree on the same move rate, you only need the one preset given that DGTs remember their settings from one session to the next. I suppose that's a hidden advantage of not counting moves, that a prior setting of 75 minutes plus 15 can cope with all the local variations of how many moves have to be made in the 75.
You presume a single session only Roger, which although is what I prefer, is not the default for a lot of leagues. This is the problem.
However, if Gareth really can get them at prices such as that, very programmable digital clocks may soon become prominent in my area! Yippee :P
Hatch End A Captain (Hillingdon League)
Controller (Hillingdon League)

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri May 29, 2015 1:41 pm

Greg Breed wrote: You presume a single session only Roger, which although is what I prefer, is not the default for a lot of leagues.
I only play in Leagues where adjournments and adjudications were effectively abolished many years ago. I imagine it would require much more knowledge or use of an instruction manual to set a digital clock correctly for the start of an adjournment session.

Greg Breed

Post by Greg Breed » Fri May 29, 2015 1:53 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Greg Breed wrote: You presume a single session only Roger, which although is what I prefer, is not the default for a lot of leagues.
I only play in Leagues where adjournments and adjudications were effectively abolished many years ago. I imagine it would require much more knowledge or use of an instruction manual to set a digital clock correctly for the start of an adjournment session.
Exactly. I think the digital clock is only really useful for single sessions and the time taken to set one up for resumption of an adjournment would effectively mean that everyone would just use the analogue clock to resume. Then when they get to the end of the final session they will want the digital clock back!! What a pain. Still, I'm sure someone will end up becoming a super-user at the club - probably yours truly!

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Fri May 29, 2015 2:44 pm

It really doesn't take much time to set a digital clock up for an adjournment session either.

Gareth T Ellis

Post by Gareth T Ellis » Fri May 29, 2015 8:18 pm

Greg Breed wrote:
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Greg Breed wrote: Unlike a tournament, most clubs play league chess in the evening where time for set up is limited. Having preset time controls for various leagues would speed things up massively and also reduce the complexity for all involved.
In the relatively unlikely event that all the local leagues and competitions agree on the same move rate, you only need the one preset given that DGTs remember their settings from one session to the next. I suppose that's a hidden advantage of not counting moves, that a prior setting of 75 minutes plus 15 can cope with all the local variations of how many moves have to be made in the 75.
You presume a single session only Roger, which although is what I prefer, is not the default for a lot of leagues. This is the problem.
However, if Gareth really can get them at prices such as that, very programmable digital clocks may soon become prominent in my area! Yippee :P
Hi Greg,
I have them in stock and at those prices, just waiting for the paperwork and website to be sorted out.
Over 50 of them sold last weekend on mentioning it on this forum with alot of other enquiries, it's not a limited offer.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Fri May 29, 2015 9:38 pm

Greg Breed wrote:I think the digital clock is only really useful for single sessions and the time taken to set one up for resumption of an adjournment would effectively mean that everyone would just use the analogue clock to resume.
One of the requirements for a clock to be FIDE approved is that it must be possible to adjust it (during the game) in less than 60 seconds. The only extra thing you'd have to do for an adjournment is to select the mode, which would take a few seconds on a DGT clock.

Greg Breed

Post by Greg Breed » Sun May 31, 2015 11:21 am

Ian Thompson wrote:
Greg Breed wrote:I think the digital clock is only really useful for single sessions and the time taken to set one up for resumption of an adjournment would effectively mean that everyone would just use the analogue clock to resume.
One of the requirements for a clock to be FIDE approved is that it must be possible to adjust it (during the game) in less than 60 seconds. The only extra thing you'd have to do for an adjournment is to select the mode, which would take a few seconds on a DGT clock.
And adjust the time in the second session. I'm sure it's probably just a case of button bashing until you get there... :)

Greg Breed

Post by Greg Breed » Sun May 31, 2015 11:23 am

Gareth T Ellis wrote:Hi Greg,
I have them in stock and at those prices, just waiting for the paperwork and website to be sorted out.
Over 50 of them sold last weekend on mentioning it on this forum with alot of other enquiries, it's not a limited offer.
You can expect another big order shortly. One quick question, does it include VAT when purchased for and by a club?

Gareth T Ellis

Post by Gareth T Ellis » Sun May 31, 2015 10:50 pm

Greg Breed wrote:
Gareth T Ellis wrote:Hi Greg,
You can expect another big order shortly. One quick question, does it include VAT when purchased for and by a club?
Not VAT registered, the price is as stated including p&p (min order of 4 applies)

Gareth T Ellis

Post by Gareth T Ellis » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:02 am

http://www.wholesalechess.co.uk

Due to the way the site is formatted, no minimum order but a charge for p&p

Thanks to Carl and his ecforum, I've already had to restock.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:04 pm

I recently acquired, and have now used the new DGT 3000 clock. It cost me £41.00 (+ postage, making £45.00). I didn't buy it from Chessmaze because it didn't feature on its website, nor via Amazon.

I can't say I have been greatly impressed by the DGT 3000 compared with say, the DGT XL. The latest model seems to have two main 'improvements' over earlier models:

* pre-sets: it has 30 pre-sets, of which five slots (26-30) are manual (the DGT XL has 23 pre-sets, of which four are manual). Of the pre-sets, it has a Fischer G100'/50'/15'/30" but NOT a 4NCL Fischer G100'/50'/30"

* display: the time display now includes 'seconds' from the start

The pre-sets are, frankly, all one would practically need. Easy to set too. Very easy - just check the pre-set option on the base, and button-press until you reach it. My grumble concerns the display. Accepting that one will in time get used to a different display, nevertheless I found the DGT 3000 offered too much information, a distraction for minimal benefit. Visually, it's like this:

1:17:49

and with both times, it's a gruesome clutter:

1:17:49#1:01:27

but rather more compressed. Better, I think, had it been:

1:17:49

or some variant. Put simply, I found the flickering of the 'seconds' irritating when glancing at the time. Imagine if a milometer on a car ticked off, not just the miles and tenths of miles, but the individual yards/metres too. It's redundant information.

So, apart from a few more pre-sets, I can't see an argument for the DGT 3000 over DGT XL or DGT 2010. Windows 8 over Windows 7, anyone?

Gareth T Ellis

Post by Gareth T Ellis » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:09 am

The DGT 2010 is great for most situations.

The DGT XL is obsolete so only old stocks of it will be available, only it and the DGT 3000 work with sensory boards and are better for multiple time staged events, although there are few of these events in the UK that would rule out the DGT 2010.
The 5 year manufacturer's warranty, extra pre-sets and larger screen, even if some find it a bit cluttered make it a serious consideration.