Bunratty Chess Festival

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Roger de Coverly

Bunratty Chess Festival

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:06 am

As always, this Irish event has a number of English players participating.

A list for the Open is here.

http://www.bunrattychess.com/dbase/entr ... me=masters

But are they aware of the ICU's new closed shop as described on the ICU website?

https://www.icu.ie/articles/486

It's not going to affect titled players as presumably if they get free entry and conditions, this will include any participation tax levied by the ICU. But for those paying their own entry fee, it's been effectively doubled and they have the further nuisance of jumping through whatever hoops the ICU demands of its members.

Gordon Cadden

Re: Bunratty Chess Festival

Post by Gordon Cadden » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:14 am

Interesting that the entry for the Bunratty Tournament, is stronger than the British Championship. With Wesley So flying in from the USA, and David Norwood from the Bahamas, this is effectively the British Isles Open Championship.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:11 am

An interesting couple of posts from Roger and Gordon. The ICU statement and the terms of conditions of the Bunratty tournament seem to be at odds. http://www.bunrattychess.com/terms.php I assume the ICU one will trump the Bunratty one.

I was told that one of the attractions of playing was the fact that there were not going to be FIDE rated games yet everthing seems to indicate the games will be FIDE rated. If so are we to assume that the tournament's popularity is not related to this factor?

Wesley So flying in from the US, what's that all about? Can't be the top prize of €1000 although I have to say the total prize fund of €45,000 (£33,647) for the three days is more than the 2014 British (£25,693).

Its incredibly popular, will have to go myself one day and see what all the fuss is about. I've got a suspicion that its related to copious amounts of alcohol.

Clive Blackburn

Post by Clive Blackburn » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:32 am

Chris Rice wrote: Its incredibly popular, will have to go myself one day and see what all the fuss is about. I've got a suspicion that its related to copious amounts of alcohol.
That should make for some interesting games then! :D

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:37 am

Chris Rice wrote: Wesley So flying in from the US, what's that all about?
Don’t the organisers pay one big name an appearance fee every year? IIRC Peter Svidler played there once.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:53 am

Chris Rice wrote: I was told that one of the attractions of playing was the fact that there were not going to be FIDE rated games yet everthing seems to indicate the games will be FIDE rated. If so are we to assume that the tournament's popularity is not related to this factor?
The move rate is 90 minutes for the whole game, but with 15 second increments. That is too fast for International rating if there are players over 2200. Bunratty is a six round tournament with the first round Friday evening and then three rounds on Saturday. You can still have that format FIDE rated, but the cost is potentially twelve hours play on the Saturday. That's nominal time, it's potentially longer if you have increments.

I would have thought the popularity is that it's a paid for social event with a poor result only costing reputation rather than Elo points. For Irish players it's a (rare) opportunity to test their skills against the wider world.

I would have thought other Irish tournaments could do more to attract "chess tourists". But not if they double the entry fee by demanding Irish membership and not if they insist players bring their own chess equipment.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:01 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Chris Rice wrote:
I would have thought other Irish tournaments could do more to attract "chess tourists". But not if they double the entry fee by demanding Irish membership and not if they insist players bring their own chess equipment.
Very true. Entry fee for the Masters is €40 (if you enter by 13/2) then add the standard ICU membership fee of €35 = €75 (£56) + flight/ferry + accomodation + food & beer and the costs are starting to mount for your standard chess tourist playing what is after all just a weekender.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:06 am

I expect I'm being dim, but how is the €45,000 prize fund built up? The prizes shown on the Bunratty website don't come to anywhere near that.

Or does it include the money for GM etc conditions?

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:37 am

Mike Truran wrote:I expect I'm being dim, but how is the €45,000 prize fund built up? The prizes shown on the Bunratty website don't come to anywhere near that.

Dammit Mike! There were so many noughts there I got confused! For €45,000 read €5,540. Still not too bad for a weekender I guess but is nowhere near in proportion to its popularity.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:48 am

Mike Truran wrote:I expect I'm being dim, but how is the €45,000 prize fund built up? The prizes shown on the Bunratty website don't come to anywhere near that.

Maybe it includes beer money for Simon Williams :lol:

Keith Arkell

Post by Keith Arkell » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:58 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:As always, this Irish event has a number of English players participating.

http://www.bunrattychess.com/dbase/entr ... me=masters.
Bunratty is certainly a really enjoyable event to go to, but I wonder whether this list of players is more in hope than expectation, given that on the 22nd of Feb I'm going to be on my way to this:

http://www.schachfestival.de/world-seni ... pants.html

Lee Bullock

Post by Lee Bullock » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:17 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:

Maybe it includes beer money for Simon Williams :lol:
Haha Loz, ;)

Yeah it must be for all the free Guinness they give out ;)
2013/2014 and 16/17 U140 Grand Prix Winner! ;)

2015 and 2016 Chess character of the year :)

Its not a failure to lose. Its a failure when you dont try and win.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:18 pm

Keith Arkell wrote:
Roger de Coverly wrote:As always, this Irish event has a number of English players participating.

http://www.bunrattychess.com/dbase/entr ... me=masters.
Bunratty is certainly a really enjoyable event to go to, but I wonder whether this list of players is more in hope than expectation, given that on the 22nd of Feb I'm going to be on my way to this:

http://www.schachfestival.de/world-seni ... pants.html
Are you going by boat?

Niall Doran

Post by Niall Doran » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:40 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Chris Rice wrote: I was told that one of the attractions of playing was the fact that there were not going to be FIDE rated games yet everthing seems to indicate the games will be FIDE rated. If so are we to assume that the tournament's popularity is not related to this factor?
The move rate is 90 minutes for the whole game, but with 15 second increments. That is too fast for International rating if there are players over 2200. Bunratty is a six round tournament with the first round Friday evening and then three rounds on Saturday. You can still have that format FIDE rated, but the cost is potentially twelve hours play on the Saturday. That's nominal time, it's potentially longer if you have increments.

I would have thought the popularity is that it's a paid for social event with a poor result only costing reputation rather than Elo points. For Irish players it's a (rare) opportunity to test their skills against the wider world.

According to the Fide website, it's 90 mins + 30 secs: http://ratings.fide.com/tournament_deta ... ent=105401

However according to this: http://www.bunrattychess.com/info.php it's 90 mins + 15 secs. So obviously someone's wrong.

I'd agree with you about it being off-putting to chess tourists, but there aren't many Irish tournaments attracting foreign players, so it probably wasn't high on the ICU's list of priorities.

Keith Arkell

Post by Keith Arkell » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:14 am

Feels like it, Richard! Day one ( Sunday 23rd) I get as far as London; day 2 I get a 9.20am flight ( the only direct one there is); day 3 play begins.