Bunratty Chess Festival

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Mick Norris

Re: Bunratty Chess Festival

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:37 pm

Live Games

Masters has:
GM Wesley So
GM Gawain Jones
GM Nigel Short
GM Nick Pert
IM Mark Heindenfeld
IM Thomas Rendle
GM Peter Wells
GM Mark Hebden
GM Alex Baburin
GM David Norwood
IM Richard Bates
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Barry Sandercock

Post by Barry Sandercock » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:33 pm

Interesting opening in the game Wesley So- David Norwood. I believe David is very experienced in this type of opening.

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:23 pm

Anyone know what has happened in Baburin-Jones in the last round. Live game not showing.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:15 am

John Moore wrote:Anyone know what has happened in Baburin-Jones in the last round. Live game not showing.
http://www.bunrattychess.com/masters/re ... sters.html

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:20 pm

Just adding a coda here to note that in the norm tournament that runs alongside the (urnrated) Masters event, an IM norm was achieved by Justin Tan (AUS). I thought he had one already from another tournament. Can anyone remember whether I'm remembering that correctly? The FIDE website is not much use here, as I don't think all the AUS norms are in their system.

Ah, the norm is reported here by Malcolm Pein in the Daily Telegraph as his final IM norm:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/ches ... assic.html

"Chess prodigy Justin Tan wins final IM norm at Bunratty Classic - Seventeen-year-old Woodbridge School pupil Justin Tan is one step closer to realising his ultimate dream of achieving the GM title"

Wait, I'm very confused now. That article by Malclom is dated 4 March 2015, but the Tweet thingy at the bottom quoted from David Smerdon is dated 12 May 2014?? "New IM norm (and nearly GM norm) for Aussie teenager Justin Tan in the recent 4NCL. They keep on coming!"

Is that because the Telegraph website picks relevant Twitter stuff to trail below the articles? Helpfully picking stuff from last year? Anyway, something to celebrate there - he is rated 2407 so presumably the ratified title follows soon.

Hmm. He goes to school in the UK and is registered AUS. Where does this fit in the history of British chess?? :?