Eric Hansen

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Clive Blackburn

Eric Hansen

Post by Clive Blackburn » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:17 am

Interesting profile of Canadian GM Eric Hansen.

The journalist does seem to understand a little bit about the game but the article is more revealing about what it is like to be a part of the modern international chess circuit.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/more/rook-star/

Clive Blackburn

Re: Eric Hansen

Post by Clive Blackburn » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:32 am

This is the game described in the article.

Barry Sandercock

Post by Barry Sandercock » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:14 am

Interesting game and the article makes entertaining reading.

Clive Blackburn

Post by Clive Blackburn » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:26 am

Barry Sandercock wrote:Interesting game and the article makes entertaining reading.
Yes, it goes a little way towards making young chess players appear slightly more "cool" :lol:

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:17 pm

He played at Guernsey last year and looked a really good player. I didn't notice him in the bar until he had guaranteed victory in the tournament. He seemed friendly and well-mannered - happily talking to anyone (not during the game of course!)

One mistake in the article. Caffeine is on the WADA list, so if the drug testers are about, don't overdo it...

Clive Blackburn

Post by Clive Blackburn » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:27 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote: One mistake in the article. Caffeine is on the WADA list, so if the drug testers are about, don't overdo it...
According to the article, after losing the game Naiditsch said to Hansen: “You were f–king shaking the entire game.”

I assumed that it was nerves and lack of sleep but perhaps caffeine was responsible! :D

I wonder how many chess players would fail a random caffeine test? :roll:

Reg Clucas

Post by Reg Clucas » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:17 pm

Clive Blackburn wrote:
The journalist does seem to understand a little bit about the game
Interesting, though I would query whether the journalist knows much about the game when he talks about "...semifinal match at the Reykjavik Open" and uses the typical layman's expression "...the ability to see an average of eight moves ahead".

Clive Blackburn

Post by Clive Blackburn » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:21 pm

Reg Clucas wrote:
Clive Blackburn wrote:
The journalist does seem to understand a little bit about the game
Interesting, though I would query whether the journalist knows much about the game when he talks about "...semifinal match at the Reykjavik Open" and uses the typical layman's expression "...the ability to see an average of eight moves ahead".
Well, above all else he is still a journalist at heart! :P