Chess Grading Destruction

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Kevin Thurlow

Re: Chess Grading Destruction

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:39 am

"The weaker player prepares for the stronger player. Almost never the reverse. "

No. Every time I play a GM or an IM, they comment in the analysis afterwards about one (or more) of my previous games.

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:06 am

Stewart Reuben wrote:Some people seem to think the FIDE regulations regarding rate of play, number of rounds a day, etc. are immutable. If I thought people wanted 90 minute games to be FIDE Rated for players 2200+, I would have recommended a change in the regulations.
John Philpott wrote:Malcolm Pein's report as FIDE delegate has now been received and published on the ECF website. See http://www.englishchess.org.uk/wp-conte ... report.pdf.
Nice to see these interesting comments from Alex Holowczak from the Qualification Commission regarding closing the gap between rapid and standard games for rating:
Alex Holowczak wrote:Time limits for the rating of events was considered. France proposed allowing 2-hour games to be rated as high as possible. US representatives liked the idea of this, but suggested that a more gradual approach to get there was desirable: Allowing 3-hour games, with 2-hour games for players rated up to 2200. The intention is to consult with Federations and players before making a change in time for 2017.
This would extend the possibility of FIDE rating for games down to local league and club championship level. Well, it would if there were any FIDE arbiters ;-)
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:37 am

Brian Towers wrote:Well, it would if there were any FIDE arbiters ;-)
That's one impediment, it still being ambiguous as to whether a game can be FIDE rated if the arbiter is not physically present. The other impediments would be the need to establish FINs for non-English players, the near doubling of the ECF membership fee and its compulsory nature.

Like many confused organisations FIDE are taking a step back for every step forward. Whilst reducing the allowed session lengths would enable more games to be FIDE rated, lengthy regulations which prohibit an event being rated if you don't comply with them are a step back.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:53 pm

Brian Towers wrote: Well, it would if there were any FIDE arbiters ;-)
I don't understand. What do you need them for?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:57 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:lengthy regulations which prohibit an event being rated
Do you have anything specific in mind?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:10 pm

NickFaulks wrote: Do you have anything specific in mind?
They are probably not lengthy, but you cannot have an event rated if it wasn't supervised by at least a National Arbiter or if a player without a FIN participated. Both are restrictions introduced within the last few years.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:11 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
NickFaulks wrote: Do you have anything specific in mind?
They are probably not lengthy, but you cannot have an event rated if it wasn't supervised by at least a National Arbiter or if a player without a FIN participated. Both are restrictions introduced within the last few years.
The Licenced Arbiter requirement isn't a restrictive regulation, it's a tax. The ECF has chosen to superimpose the requirement that the Licenced Arbiter shall be competent. I don't criticise them for that, but it isn't a FIDE requirement.

Everyone has always needed a FIN for a tournament to be rated. It has always been highly desirable for the FIN to be allocated before the event, now it is required. At the same time, steps have been taken to make this process easier, although I would agree that there still seem to be some problems.