pawn structure

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
soheil_hooshdaran

pawn structure

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:15 pm

Hello. I have come across a question: My next table had a c3+d4 structure (plus some other pawns and pieces) and his opponent tried to control the square c4 with Na5. I wonder if such a pawn (c3) can be considered weak, considering that the file is closed be cause of a Black pawn on c6.. What about the pair c3+d4?

Roger de Coverly

Re: pawn structure

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:22 pm

soheil_hooshdaran wrote: I wonder if such a pawn (c3) can be considered weak, considering that the file is closed be cause of a Black pawn on c6.. What about the pair c3+d4?
Is there a pawn on b2? If not, then the pawns on c3 and d4 could prove weak, particularly of the e pawn has gone as well, making them hanging pawns. Perhaps even worse, the Knight could move to the c4 square and be difficult to challenge. If analysing with engines teaches us anything, it's that a complex interplay of factors affects how you should assess positions and a structure that might be a decisive weakness in one position is nothing to worry about in another.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:02 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
soheil_hooshdaran wrote: I wonder if such a pawn (c3) can be considered weak, considering that the file is closed be cause of a Black pawn on c6.. What about the pair c3+d4?
Is there a pawn on b2? If not, then the pawns on c3 and d4 could prove weak, particularly of the e pawn has gone as well, making them hanging pawns. Perhaps even worse, the Knight could move to the c4 square and be difficult to challenge. If analysing with engines teaches us anything, it's that a complex interplay of factors affects how you should assess positions and a structure that might be a decisive weakness in one position is nothing to worry about in another.
The problem is that the c-file is closed. Also, I wonder if c4 can be called an outpost since Black has no b- or d-pawn.
More over, White has no dark Bishop so blockading c4 cannot be an advantage IMO

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:39 am

Show us the position. We can't sensibly discuss a position without seeing it.