David Nixon and Horace Shepherd old TV Recordings enquiries

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Sue Hunt

David Nixon and Horace Shepherd old TV Recordings enquiries

Post by Sue Hunt » Sat May 23, 2015 2:59 pm

Hi everyone

I would be eternally grateful if anyone could help a damsel in distress!! :wink:

One of my chess customers, who is an advanced chess player, has requested that I try and locate David Nixon's old recordings.

David Nixon was a keen chess player, presented “Checkmate/Moving Mates”or David Nixon Teaches Chess, a Thames Television series teaching the basics of the game. This TV programme was aired on 12 October 1975 ITV 1 – Yorkshire (ATV Network Production). I have tried to obtain copies of these TV recordings from the various TV studios, BFI.

Peter Scarlett from The Magic Circle has made personal contacts on my behalf with David's daughter, producers of his magic shows, technicians, advisors, unfortunately all without success. There appears to be no recordings in existence of the chess shows or series.

Does anyone hold any of these old TV recordings that would be willing to copy for my customer?

In addition to David Nixon old TV programmes, my customer would also be interested to hearing from anyone who may have recordings of ten minute illustrative chess games that were screened on BBC then later bought up by ATV made by Horace Shepherd in the 1950s. The pieces came out of a box and then you saw the moves played on a chess board.

Can anyone help me out with these enquiries or know of someone who may have these old recordings who may be willing to record them for my customer.

I look forward to hearing back from anyone who can help me.

I wish everyone a very nice bank holiday weekend.

With kind regards

Roger de Coverly

Re: David Nixon and Horace Shepherd old TV Recordings enquiries

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat May 23, 2015 5:08 pm

Sue Hunt wrote: In addition to David Nixon old TV programmes, my customer would also be interested to hearing from anyone who may have recordings of ten minute illustrative chess games that were screened on BBC then later bought up by ATV made by Horace Shepherd in the 1950s. The pieces came out of a box and then you saw the moves played on a chess board.
Googling for Horace Shepherd and Chess comes up with the name "Miniature Chess Masterpieces". Five years ago, we believed they were available through the BFI site having been first made as films.

http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php ... =15#p45204

Regarding the David Nixon material, Stewart Reuben (whom you could PM) is something of a collector of old TV material, or knows where it is or whether it has survived. The content of the shows was documented in the chess magazines of the era.

Sue Hunt

Post by Sue Hunt » Sun May 24, 2015 3:37 pm

Hi Roger

Thank you very much for coming back to me.

Unfortunately, I have approached the BFI without any success, together with Stewart Reuben. Stewart has never come across anybody who has any of the old David Nixon TV programmes, and he personally confirmed that he never even saw them when they came out.

I am hoping that someone within the forum may have taken some recordings of these rather elusive old footage?

With kind regards.

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Mon May 25, 2015 12:59 am

Regarding the "Miniature Chess Masterpieces" a contributor on http://www.chessgames.com by the name of mOrphy wrote in 2004

During the mid 1950s one Horace Shepherd devised a series of "Chess Miniatures" - films wherein the pieces appeared to move by themselves and jump out of the box.I first saw some of these in 1959 (when I was 13) on a childrens' BBC tv programme called "Focus".Later they were shown by ATV their commercial rival.Fascinated in later life by these films, I investigated and tracked down a company called "Intervision".I was delighted to ascertain there were about 33 separate films on 7 videos, so I bought the lot, later reformatting the original videos onto VHS from the original Beta format when the latter died out about 20 years ago. I later discovered that Shepherd used as his source for these films Irving Chernev's "The 1000 Best Short Games of Chess"(1954).In this book Chernev gives each game a short introduction and it is evident that Shepherd used this narrative when penning the title of each chess game he filmed.Inevitably this is called "The Smothered Mate"

A check shows that "Intervision" ceased trading many years ago and mOrphy only contributed to chessgames in 2004.

However I have found a youtube contributor by the name of "morphyesque" who commented 10 months ago about the "Chess Miniatures" and it is clear that he is the same person who wrote in 2004. His contribution to youtube is almost word for word the same as in chessgames except that he gives details of one of the games entitled "Traitor in the Camp" which he states features a game Steinkuhler v Blackburne Manchester 1863. I therefore assume he has all the videos and perhaps an enquiry via youtube messaging may assist your search.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Mon May 25, 2015 6:20 am

If you are sure they were broadcast on Thames television, then contact them. They will almost certainly have it but I don't know if they can offer a service to put it onto DVD for you. The BBC does, and its about 150 pounds a time or at least it was 3 years ago when I last enquired.

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke » Mon May 25, 2015 12:55 pm

MJMcCready wrote:If you are sure they were broadcast on Thames television, then contact them. They will almost certainly have it but I don't know if they can offer a service to put it onto DVD for you. The BBC does, and its about 150 pounds a time or at least it was 3 years ago when I last enquired.
They were actually broadcast by Thames TV's predecessor and co-founder, Associated-Rediffusion, who held the ITV franchise for London and the SE in the early 60s. Most of A-R's programme content was apparently lost following the setting up of Thames in 1968, and it seems unlikely to me that Thames would still retain copies of something that wasn't even made by them or A-R.
"The chess-board is the world ..... the player on the other side is hidden from us ..... he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."
(He doesn't let you resign and start again, either.)

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Mon May 25, 2015 8:15 pm

Don't know what to suggest then, collectors or family members may have them.

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Mon May 25, 2015 9:01 pm

MJMcCready wrote:Don't know what to suggest then, collectors or family members may have them.
I've made a quite specific reply above about someone who clearly has copies of the Horace Shepherd recording.

I note also that American Public Service television screened the series and the listings from the Sydney Morning Herald shows that Miniature Chess Masterpieces was required viewing on Channel 2 throughout May 1969. Later the same day Channel 2 was screening "The Evil of the Daleks" which is one of the missing Doctor Who series; of the seven episodes only one remains - if Channel 2 still has these it would be a major coup!

Sue Hunt

Post by Sue Hunt » Tue May 26, 2015 7:44 pm

Hi everyone

Thank you very much firstly to Neil Graham for giving me detailed information concerning "Miniature Chess Masterpieces".

I shall certainly make further enquiries with "morphyesque" youtube contributor who commented 10 months ago about the "Chess Miniatures".

Thank you very much also for mentioning American Public Service television screened the series and the listings from the Sydney Morning Herald shows that Miniature Chess Masterpieces was required viewing on Channel 2 throughout May 1969. I will certainly make enquiries with Channel 2.

Thank you very much secondly to MJMcready unfortunately I did approach Thames Television/Freemantle but they never replied to my e-mail. I have also approach the BBC but they too never replied to my e-mail. I have already mentioned in my question put forward to the forum that I had approached Peter Scarlett from The Magic Circle who made personal contacts on my behalf with David's daughter, producers of his magic shows, technicians, advisors, unfortunately all without success. There appears to be no recordings in existence of the chess shows or series.

Thank you very much thirdly to John Clarke. Perhaps in view of what you say about ..."A-R's programme content was apparently lost following the setting up of Thames in 1968..." this may be the reason for Thames Television/Freemantle not replying to my e-mail!

I am eternally grateful to everyone mentioned within the forum for your kindness in assisting me. Thank you all knights in shining armour!!!

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue May 26, 2015 7:47 pm

I hope it was worth the effort!
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Sue Hunt

Post by Sue Hunt » Tue May 26, 2015 9:12 pm

Hello Carl

When I first contacted you, "Prophylactic Thinking" came to mind. But after the initial checks, and while thinking of my next move. I had to first take every possible check into consideration and that was just for registration purposes into this forum! :lol:

Yes, joking aside I felt like a Queen on a chessboard in your forum Carl. To the greatest King! Thank you to all your wonderful knights. :D

Sue Hunt

Post by Sue Hunt » Tue May 26, 2015 9:28 pm

With regards to David Nixon

Is there anyone who uses this forum who may have recorded David Nixon's old TV recordings of Checkmate/Moving Mates and would be willing to copy on to a video or dvd for one of my chess customers? I would absolutely love to hear from you!

I was very fortunate to purchase on behalf of my customer details of “Playing Chess” and the 13 programmes, together with a photograph of David Nixon and Bob Wade in the studio, that were given on pages 129-131 of the April 1975 BCM from Dr John Upham. Thank you very much John for your kindness with my request.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:16 am

'Bump!'

Sorry I've have not found the old b/w chess programmes that I too use to watch on the telly but I did stumble across this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQFlAXs5ErE it is a rather grainy clip of David Nixon doing a trick with a chessboard. (skip the ads.)

Just out of interest did anybody ever find these old clips of famous chess games.