British 2015 Round by Round

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Michael Flatt

Re: British 2015 Round by Round

Post by Michael Flatt » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:37 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:The Talbots weren't due to play each other in round 3 or round 4, so the issue didn't arise.
That's true. But on another day or another competition it could happen.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:41 pm

Just tried to check a player's grade on the ECF grading database and got - error 404 Not Found!?

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:42 pm

Apologies for posting on the chess rather than the pairings :roll: but I have confirmation that Akshaya's convincing win over John Cooper yesterday was indeed her first IM scalp in rated chess. I think that both the result and the game deserve more attention that they seem so far to have received.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:58 pm

John McKenna wrote:Just tried to check a player's grade on the ECF grading database and got - error 404 Not Found!?
They are trying to move to the new server and making a bit of a mess of it but try later.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:02 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:Apologies for posting on the chess rather than the pairings :roll: but I have confirmation that Akshaya's convincing win over John Cooper yesterday was indeed her first IM scalp in rated chess. I think that both the result and the game deserve more attention that they seem so far to have received.
Yes, great result, first of many I guess

Any postings on here represent my personal views

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:04 pm

I think that both the result and the game deserve more attention that they seem so far to have received.
As retrieved from the chessbomb site, here it is.
Kalaiyalahan - Cooper

Was it partly preparation? Move 17 varies from or improves on a 2009 game in the 4NCL where Cooper allowed the Ne6 idea against Neil Berry and also lost.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:12 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:

Was it partly preparation? ...
I expect so. Cooper is very predictable with his Tarrasch, and Akshaya has the benefit of her coach (John Emms) being present - although he must also have been preparing for his own game v Nick Pert yesterday.

Still, the game was not "won" in preparation, as you can see. And although I very rarely prepare meaningfully myself, I should think that whenever I might get a nice edge through preparation against a good player, I would probably congratulate myself and fritter it away.

Incidentally, I gather that the ECF have yet to decide the fifth woman to represent England in the Euro Chs in November. I think that the right answer is clear.

Greg Breed

Post by Greg Breed » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:21 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:Apologies for posting on the chess rather than the pairings :roll: but I have confirmation that Akshaya's convincing win over John Cooper yesterday was indeed her first IM scalp in rated chess. I think that both the result and the game deserve more attention that they seem so far to have received.
It was a very nice game and although the computer prefers 25. Qc4+ I think getting the Rook to the 7th rank was more important and led to the eventual Black resignation. Clearly a contender for England Women!
Hatch End A Captain (Hillingdon League)
Controller (Hillingdon League)

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:29 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:
John McKenna wrote:Just tried to check a player's grade on the ECF grading database and got - error 404 Not Found!?
They are trying to move to the new server and making a bit of a mess of it but try later.
Thanks Carl, I suppose they announced that somewhere but maybe not.

I was only curious about Shabir Okhai, who seems to have come from nowhere to bd. 8 and a game with a GM!?

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:31 pm

Greg Breed wrote:
It was a very nice game and although the computer prefers 25. Qc4+ I think getting the Rook to the 7th rank was more important and led to the eventual Black resignation. Clearly a contender for England Women!
I think you're right about getting that rook to 7th heaven, Greg.
Great to see a young lady playing so well.

Brian Valentine

Post by Brian Valentine » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:39 pm

The Grading Database is coming back to life, certainly information on Shabir Okhai is there. My understanding is that the website will slowly settle down this afternoon. Bear with us, the change is a bit earlier than planned.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:54 pm

John McKenna wrote: I was only curious about Shabir Okhai, who seems to have come from nowhere to bd. 8 and a game with a GM!?
Qualified for the British from Scarborough in equal eighth with 3 wins, a loss and a half point bye. Club shown as Syston , but also plays for e2e4 in the 4NCL.

http://www.scarboroughchesscongress.org ... en2014.htm

Results in the British so far
Loss in round 1 to Osborne, wins in rounds 2 and 3 against Wager and Mckenna

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:32 pm

Well, thanks for the info.

Shabir has his work cut out today - they're following Korchnoi-Fuchs 1966 Havana Ol.

You can guess who won that.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:40 pm

Not sure about Alex Golding's 9 g4: Emms will be deciding whether 9...d5 10 exd5 Nb4 works, I should think.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:48 pm

Alex showing no fear and may be trying to emulate Shirov with a move like that.