Features of a chess website

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
soheil_hooshdaran

Features of a chess website

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:26 pm

Hello.
The website of my province offers a chess calendar, listing all events to be held in the province over the whole year together with their dates. Do you think it is necessary to include it?

Roger Lancaster

Re: Features of a chess website

Post by Roger Lancaster » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:53 pm

I think this depends where you are and what other information sources are available.

For example, the Watford club website (with which I'm involved) covers a fairly small part of England. The site includes a calendar listing local events over the next two months or so but, for events outside the area or more distant than two months ahead, readers are referred to the much more comprehensive English Chess Federation website, which we're not seeking to replicate. Also, in my experience, it's only a small minority of players who plan chess events 6-12 months ahead.

David Blower

Post by David Blower » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:45 pm

It certainly is included on Brewood's website (I am the webmaster of Brewood.) But I only ever list Brewood events on there.

MSoszynski

Post by MSoszynski » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:33 pm

soheil_hooshdaran wrote:Hello.
The website of my province offers a chess calendar, listing all events to be held in the province over the whole year together with their dates. Do you think it is necessary to include it?
Where else would someone expect to find the chess events of a province than on that province's chess website?

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:34 am

MSoszynski wrote:
soheil_hooshdaran wrote:Hello.
Where else would someone expect to find the chess events of a province than on that province's chess website?
Clearly nowhere. But of a year? Fars chess championship was scheduled to take place about 1.5 months ago, but it is to take place Tuesday.

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:34 am

Carl.....
I`m curious as to why this topic is in the NON CHESS section...

Can I suggest a move to `General`...
But, I will add that these days good publicity, and a welcoming message is important, if CHESS or even NON CHESS (not chess) activities are to draw in new recruites..
BRING BACK THE BCF

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:01 am

Take inspiration from ECF website of the year: www.yorkshirechess.org

This and other awards are announced on the ECF website: http://www.englishchess.org.uk/ecf-awards-2015/

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:13 pm

The most important feature of any chess website is that it is not a forum.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Bill Porter

Post by Bill Porter » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:40 pm

JustinHorton wrote:The most important feature of any chess website is that it is not a forum.
So http://www.englishchess.org.uk/Forum/ is a forum and not a website unless you're too lazy to type 'Forum/' at the end.

And http://www.englishchess.org.uk/ is either a website ( with a forum so presumably not a website :? ) or a convenient way to access an onsite forum and therefor not a website.

Simples.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:58 am

What does it mean that a website should not have a premium fee?

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:25 am

Several club, county, league and other websites have a facility where people can enter their games.
I believe this is to be applauded. A permanent record of a game lends validity to that game and thus to one's entire chessplaying career. On ChessBase, my earliest game is 1959.
We go to a great deal of trouble to record our games. But then they are often lost to posterity. That doesn't apply to the British Championships where there is a whole culture of inputting the games.