Claims by C.J. de Mooi

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
John Upham

Re: Claims by C.J. de Mooi

Post by John Upham » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:34 pm

Nick Grey wrote:Mobile phones were not tracking devices in 1988. As for blunt instrument could it be a large analogue mobile phone?

Nick,

I believe I postulated earlier that a switched on mobile telephone was probably in lieu of a tag.

It would seem that GK agrees with me.

Clearly the 'phone could be given to someone else and a different 'phone acquired.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Gary Kenworthy

Post by Gary Kenworthy » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:09 am

Hi John (Upham).
"Did you mean" -- yes the correct person for the photos, but there are even later pictures around. ...Until he ducked.
From near Rotherham, and had an interesting way of earning a living around Doncaster/ Rotherham. But the police were also not interested in that either.
South Yorkshire Police - well known in other scandals, and not just the Battle of Orgreave. (Hence, that area became a UKIP stronghold, is related, as the locals were often let down).

Pure speculation: Maybe Handsome and Ratcliffe should / could have exchanged notes?!?.

Gary Kenworthy

Post by Gary Kenworthy » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:17 am

General question:
What I would like to know is when and where CJ de Mooi learnt chess? Rapidly improve his chess. His oldest playing records. Best sources. Who were his mentors/ tutors?

Chess records, before he left the UK. Then, if possible, such as in Amsterdam in the late 80s? When did he came back to the UK?.

Did CJ de Mooi, prefer blitz and rapidplay ( which was a pretty new form of chess in the 80s) over slower rates?

I only played Opens, so I never knowlingly met CJ de Mooi.

That canal is a shortish canal - in an odd place/ also near to key districts.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:38 am

Gary Kenworthy wrote: His oldest playing records. Best sources. .

If you look up his grading record at http://ecfgrading.org.uk/new/menu.php?f ... de=170213A, it appears the profile of someone who took up competitive play as an adult. The grading code in the 17xx series is also one first issued in the 1990s.

"How I learned to play chess" presumably wasn't considered of sufficient interest to make it to the autobiography.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:51 am

Ah yes, the autobiography
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:15 am

Gary Kenworthy wrote:General question:
What I would like to know is when and where CJ de Mooi learnt chess? Rapidly improve his chess. His oldest playing records. Best sources. Who were his mentors/ tutors?
He once told me that he took lessons from Julian Hodgson

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:04 pm

Boxing lessons as well as chess?

Gary Kenworthy

Post by Gary Kenworthy » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:51 pm

Thank you, not into buying the book and creating royalties to the Author.

So on Grading, under his new name. [Thank Roger de C] July 1995 – 111D – when back in the UK
Expect Hodgson was at the earliest or mid 90s at the earliest. Plus CJ de Mooi would then have the money. So that timescale fits.

In the mid 1980s he would be potentially a Rotherham junior and pre-deed poll Joseph Connagh, (b 1969). Anybody who knows Yorkshire chess at that period would not trust a BCF grading list. It was policy to be against the BCF grading list. Juniors were often not graded and game fee’d in that period.
It is down to. Did you know Joseph Connagh playing chess around Rotherham at that time? Like socially at college?

QUOTE: “De Mooi studied English and Performing Arts at Rotherham College of Arts and Technology” (His book)

QUOTE: On a self-recorded YouTube video,[8] CJ claims to have had a highly abusive childhood, causing him to run away from home shortly after his seventeenth birthday and become homeless beginning in Rotherham and Sheffield. “ – from Wiki.

QUESTION: Anybody knows about this abuse? BTW This is also at start of the Rotherham Child Abuse cases by those in authority. That the South Yorkshire force ignored till 1999. Only really public after 2010.
IHMO: The Home Office needs to cross check some files.

In the late 1980s, in North West Amsterdam, there was a chess playing café culture. That probably needs the input of Dutch colleagues.

QUOTE: “De Mooi was a club chess player from 1990 to 2009” – from Wiki.
This suggest to me, places like Amsterdam.

Still investigating…
Last edited by Gary Kenworthy on Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:36 pm

He was at Kingston Chess Club for a few weeks. Not sure when. My memory not quite the same as it was.

Gary Kenworthy

Post by Gary Kenworthy » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:43 pm

Thanks to all those replying. How, with who and where, he learnt chess is a key interest.

With C.J Handsome: 1986- 1988- in South Yorkshire. Then July 1991 to Spring 1995 on the continent are key. Especially with café chess in N W Amsterdam. There is a possible link to explore and validate, what is still just a theory. The Rotherham accent would not just be a common subject. Eley possibly very short of money.

Even into this century child abuse was not taken seriously. Take Anne Cryer the MP for Keighley. She made a number of allegations about abusers and grooming by gangs in her constituency, resulting in major calls for her deselection. She step down, was the official line. She was later proven to be completely right with her facts which she had checked out before she spoke.

In places like South Yorkshire in the 1980s (and even later). Where local council officials, who were also governance and steers to the police, have a number of allegations placed against them on various sex abuse issues. Hence the locals began voting UKIP.
So going to the South Yorkshire police in the 1980s and well beyond would prove fruitless. One gang abused 1400 girls, and everybody knew about such gangs.

However now, our new PM, ex Home Office, in her electoral address for the leadership of the Conservative party. She said she was told she could not take on South Yorkshire police, she still did, she won.
Times are changing.
Rgds (FM) Gary Kenworthy, Bletchley
Last edited by Gary Kenworthy on Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

James Plaskett

Post by James Plaskett » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:16 pm

And the Dutch cops may match a corpse to his admission?!

Oh dearie me... :shock:

Gary Kenworthy

Post by Gary Kenworthy » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:55 pm

hi Jim,
a number of hurdles and processes first. Hearings, evidence, extradition.
It will be a media circus. It will be easy to follow. It cannot become an easy to forget about situation (let off because he is famous routine?- Doubt it).
Lots of questions and helping police with their inquiries, that is just the UK.
Much more in Amsterdam. Much evidence gathering is needed for a fair trial.

His abusers in Rotherham was when he was u18 and due care was expected of those empowered by the law, by those in authority (who have covered up such things in the past).
Again, even over 18, he should be treated and classified as a vulnerable adult. All the makings of a "Cathy come home".
A number of known gangs left unchecked. We do know who was a leader of one such group.
How much will C J de Mooi spill the beans on his youthful encounters, that influenced him, shaped him?
There will be backlashes, clampdowns, knee-jerks and a lot of pressures.
A lot of journalists and documentary makers will eventually follow-up....it will go on and on.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:06 am

Gary Kenworthy wrote:All the makings of a "Cathy come home".
Can't say that I see much in that comparison.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Gary Kenworthy

Post by Gary Kenworthy » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:08 am

Cathy Come Home is a famous landmark documentary, it was directed by Ken Loach, it includes Homelessness and struggling in early life.
Loach's main film Kes (Barry Hines'- A kestrel for a Knave was compulsory for English in my day). The film was based Barnsley way, it depicts typical growing up in that part of the World. The screenplay writer, the late Colin Welland, was not the only actor to have his career boosted with Kes and again by by Ken Loach.

Ernie Lazenby

Post by Ernie Lazenby » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:47 am

Brian Eley has been mentioned many times on this forum. 20 years + after the news broke on Crime watch is a long time and in my opinion he will probably die somewhere abroad before he's ever brought back to the UK to face justice. There is little doubt someone in the UK knows where he is but keeps that info to himself. I think any further talk about Eley serves no purpose now.

CJ is the author of his own misfortunes; his arrogance and general love of himself has brought his world crashing down. Quite sad really for someone who is very intelligent and who had worked at creating a money making public persona for himself. My opinion is that it is very unlikely any action will be taken against him by the dutch authorities. Inquiries needed to be made following the comments in CJ'S book and I am sure he would have expected some fall out. One thing is for sure the latest saga keeps his diminishing public profile up a little; it does appear however that his TV days are finished.