WCU issues

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Coral Bennett

WCU issues

Post by Coral Bennett » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:06 am

Nigel_Davies wrote:
Mick Norris wrote: Can I make a serious suggestion then? As far as I am aware, the NHS is devolved in Wales and under the control of the Welsh Assembly (If I have the correct terminology)
Why don't the Welsh Chess Union make an application for funding then, supported by their eminent new GM?
That's a very good idea and exactly the kind of thing we should be trying.

http://tigerchess.com
The WCU already get a Welsh Assembly grant for the Development of Juniors. The Director responsible for obtaining it left office after it was pointed out that the spending of a grant had not been put out to tender as is required by the WCU policy on the ethical behaviour of Directors. It had instead been offered to her own private company. This Director’s post remains vacant 5 months later. It had already been pointed out to the WCU Board in 2013 that money had been offered without tender to that Director’s private company. Not all Chess Unions are run exclusively for the benefit of the members.

Welsh taxpayers should hope for greater financial governance before the WCU access NHS money.

As Justin Horton rightly said on the Streatham & Brixton blog: “if you were concerned about how an organisation is governed, absolutely the first and most important thing that would alarm you would be gross financial irresponsibility." And "they're paying a great deal of attention to money in the context of people raising it for chess, but no attention at all when it comes to how that money is handled."

Nigel_Davies

Re: An Alzheimer's Cure: Chess & Champagne At Simpsons

Post by Nigel_Davies » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:59 pm

Coral Bennett wrote: The WCU already get a Welsh Assembly grant for the Development of Juniors. The Director responsible for obtaining it left office after it was pointed out that the spending of a grant had not been put out to tender as is required by the WCU policy on the ethical behaviour of Directors. It had instead been offered to her own private company. This Director’s post remains vacant 5 months later. It had already been pointed out to the WCU Board in 2013 that money had been offered without tender to that Director’s private company. Not all Chess Unions are run exclusively for the benefit of the members.

Welsh taxpayers should hope for greater financial governance before the WCU access NHS money.

As Justin Horton rightly said on the Streatham & Brixton blog: “if you were concerned about how an organisation is governed, absolutely the first and most important thing that would alarm you would be gross financial irresponsibility." And "they're paying a great deal of attention to money in the context of people raising it for chess, but no attention at all when it comes to how that money is handled."
Chess in Schools and Communities would be better geared to this kind of thing anyway. I'm not sure meanwhile that we should be looking to the Streatham & Brixton chess blog for advice on finance and probity :)

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:07 pm

Coral Bennett wrote:The WCU already get a Welsh Assembly grant for the Development of Juniors. The Director responsible for obtaining it left office after it was pointed out that the spending of a grant had not been put out to tender as is required by the WCU policy on the ethical behaviour of Directors. It had instead been offered to her own private company. This Director’s post remains vacant 5 months later. It had already been pointed out to the WCU Board in 2013 that money had been offered without tender to that Director’s private company. Not all Chess Unions are run exclusively for the benefit of the members.
Coral

Thanks for posting this, I can't be the only one who had no idea what goes on in the other chess bodies within the UK - I assume Nigel knew all about this as part of his due diligence before switching federations, so I assume it must be all sorted out now

Can you point us to some links about this, if we want to know the details?
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Nigel_Davies

Post by Nigel_Davies » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:22 pm

Mick Norris wrote:I assume Nigel knew all about this as part of his due diligence before switching federations
I think we both know that chess federations don't always attract the most suitable people.. :)

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:24 pm

Nigel_Davies wrote:
Mick Norris wrote:I assume Nigel knew all about this as part of his due diligence before switching federations
I think we both know that chess federations don't always attract the most suitable people.. :)
No, but some of those people do get support unfortunately
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Coral Bennett

Post by Coral Bennett » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:10 am

Nigel_Davies wrote:
Coral Bennett wrote: The WCU already get a Welsh Assembly grant for the Development of Juniors. The Director responsible for obtaining it left office after it was pointed out that the spending of a grant had not been put out to tender as is required by the WCU policy on the ethical behaviour of Directors. It had instead been offered to her own private company. This Director’s post remains vacant 5 months later. It had already been pointed out to the WCU Board in 2013 that money had been offered without tender to that Director’s private company. Not all Chess Unions are run exclusively for the benefit of the members.

Chess in Schools and Communities would be better geared to this kind of thing anyway.
I am not sure why you would say this. In Wales, it is the same individual !

Nigel_Davies

Post by Nigel_Davies » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:01 am

Coral Bennett wrote:I am not sure why you would say this. In Wales, it is the same individual !
It does sound like you have some axe to grind with this person. But meanwhile it's a very different thing from officials of a chess federation to award themselves coaching work (which is very common elsewhere too) whereas Chess In Schools has a quite separate administration which will have hired this person you seem to have it in for. Meanwhile others in Wales can apply for Chess In Schools money and/or qualify to become teachers, so it's hardly a closed shop.

Meanwhile, and just to be clear, I personally am a private coach who has never been an official of a chess federation and don't work for any federation or any other body. People come to me if they want to improve, not because the lessons will be paid for by someone else. And this is part of the reason I don't coach kids (except my son) - there's too much unfair competition from those who worm their way into positions of influence so as to redirect funds to themselves and their friends. To think this might have been just a WCU thing is let's say, unrealistic.. :)

Coral Bennett

Post by Coral Bennett » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:32 am

Nigel_Davies wrote: there's too much unfair competition from those who worm their way into positions of influence so as to redirect funds to themselves and their friends. To think this might have been just a WCU thing is let's say, unrealistic..
Probably true, but those who see wrong doing and do or say nothing allow it to continue and so are complicit.

Nigel_Davies

Post by Nigel_Davies » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:21 pm

Coral Bennett wrote:Probably true, but those who see wrong doing and do or say nothing allow it to continue and so are complicit.
You might find life easier if you lock yourself in your fridge, making sure it doesn't have an internet connection.. :)

I'm wondering too if you are Rhys and Owen Bennett's mum, in which case you might want to disclose your full interest in this matter!

Last edited by Nigel_Davies on Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:34 pm

Nigel_Davies wrote:
Coral Bennett wrote:Probably true, but those who see wrong doing and do or say nothing allow it to continue and so are complicit.
You might find life easier if you lock yourself in your fridge, making sure it doesn't have an internet connection.. :)

It's a good thing that not everyone takes that view.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:04 pm

Nigel_Davies wrote: I'm wondering too if you are Rhys and Owen Bennett's mum, in which case you might want to disclose your full interest in this matter!
What seems to have started out as a dispute over coaching services at an International junior event appears to have run and run, with the WCU seemingly going into silence mode, apart from issuing this document.

http://www.welshchessunion.org.uk/image ... olicy_.doc

Still the BCF/ECF holds the record with a dispute over county eligibilities and formation of new counties for chess purposes started in 1975 and still unresolved forty years later, even after the death of one of the main protagonists.

Nigel_Davies

Post by Nigel_Davies » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:20 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote: What seems to have started out as a dispute over coaching services at an International junior event appears to have run and run, with the WCU seemingly going into silence mode, apart from issuing this document.

http://www.welshchessunion.org.uk/image ... olicy_.doc

Still the BCF/ECF holds the record with a dispute over county eligibilities and formation of new counties for chess purposes started in 1975 and still unresolved forty years later, even after the death of one of the main protagonists.
Another reason why I don't coach kids; the junior chess scene can be extremely fraught and unpleasant with a few parents being extremely difficult to deal with. Adult chess tends to be much more fun, there are a few nutters around but by and large adult chess players are an interesting bunch.

Coral Bennett

Post by Coral Bennett » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:08 pm

Nigel_Davies wrote: you might want to disclose your full interest in this matter!
Different Director, different matter - different re-allocation of other people's money.
I obtained a full refund - plus court costs - when I recovered my money from the original complaint in 2012.

Nigel_Davies

Post by Nigel_Davies » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:17 pm

Coral Bennett wrote: Different Director, different matter - different re-allocation of other people's money.
I obtained a full refund - plus court costs - when I recovered my money from the original complaint in 2012.
This case does seem to highlight the need for good governance within federations, which is something the ECF have been striving for recently. But it also shows that in the little chess World it is better not to have a too critical, unforgiving and litigious attitude; people who organize and teach chess are hardly in it for the money and in many cases their efforts go completely unpaid. I am left wondering if the WCU has gone silent, and is short of manpower, because of your actions; who would want the job?

Coral Bennett

Post by Coral Bennett » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:16 pm

Nigel_Davies wrote: because of your actions
If they had not “re-allocated” my money then I would not have had to ask for it back !
The money was taken in November 2012, I did not sue until July 2013.
The findings of the Investigation Committee were that I was due a refund but the Management Board (4 of whom were employed by the accused) vetoed the refund.
If your money was taken I suppose you would
Nigel_Davies wrote: lock yourself in your fridge
Nigel_Davies wrote: go completely unpaid
Some get paid well enough to give up the day job and coach full time.
Unlike some, I do not think anyone has the right to take other people's money for their own benefit. This includes both Government and NHS funds.
Nigel_Davies wrote: short of manpower
How could being one Director short since June 2015 result in no accounts since 2011?