Being away from the board.

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Kevin O'Rourke

Re: Being away from the board.

Post by Kevin O'Rourke » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:22 pm

Peter D Williams wrote:
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Unless you wish to be accused of cheating, do not leave the playing area whilst it's your move. If you are outside the playing area when your opponent moves, you should return as soon as you become aware that it's your move. Clocks are designed so that you can sight them from a distance.
Afternoon friends :wink:

I never rushed to go back to the playing hall if i knew my opponent had moved.I remember at Guernsey the opponent come into the hotel lobby to tell me he had moved i said to him many thanks i be in when i finshed my drink!. Its my clock time so i use it how i want.
brilliant! :D

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:59 pm

Kevin O'Rourke wrote:
Afternoon friends :wink:

I never rushed to go back to the playing hall if i knew my opponent had moved.I remember at Guernsey the opponent come into the hotel lobby to tell me he had moved i said to him many thanks i be in when i finshed my drink!. Its my clock time so i use it how i want.
brilliant! :D[/quote]

Glad you like what i said.Not many do :wink:

I have plenty of observations of the chess world the people i have met situation etc here anther one for you. when Peter was at an event he got up from his board and come to find me.I was outside with Peter Grandad any way Peter went outside and we both said to him what is going on and he said the oppenent taking to long to move i want to play with the cannon.A cannon was outside the hotel so for the next 15 minute he played with the cannon firing off shots like Lord Horatio Nelson! once he finshed with the cannon he went back to the chess room to finsh his game and his opponent still had not moved.
when you are successful many losers bark at you.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:05 pm

The answer to the question can be found in the FIDE Laws of Chess:
11.2 The ‘playing venue’ is defined as the ‘playing area’, rest rooms, toilets, refreshment area, area
set aside for smoking and other places as designated by the arbiter.
The playing area is defined as the place where the games of a competition are played.
Only with the permission of the arbiter can
a. a player leave the playing venue.
b. the player having the move be allowed to leave the playing area.