Longterm IM title holders deserve more respect

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Michael Mkpadi

Longterm IM title holders deserve more respect

Post by Michael Mkpadi » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:50 pm

Over the weekend I was hanging out with a friend who happens to be an IM and after playing a load of blitz games in which he showed me why he is the holder of the FIDE International Master title and I'm the holder of the FIDE Online Arena Master title. It got me thinking about IMs like him who have been IMs for a very long time over 8 years with no GM title in sight, they should be given a title of their own. A bit like what USCF does with their master title. You could have a Life Senior IM for those IMs who will never attain GM title but are no less talented than your average GM.
Last edited by Michael Mkpadi on Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chess is a conversation. At Chess Club Live everyone can join that conversation whatever your elo rating. :D
http://social.chessclublive.com

IM Jack Rudd

Re: Longterm IM title holders deserve more respect

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:52 pm

There's already a title for what you're describing. It's called "IM".

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:00 pm

LOL

Michael Mkpadi

Post by Michael Mkpadi » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:04 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:There's already a title for what you're describing. It's called "IM".
Yes that is true. I suppose the problem is with people who don't respect holders of IM titles who haven't been lucky enough or wanted to get all the GM norms. Isn't it enough to say actually I'm ok as an IM title holder, I'm not trying to be a GM. I think many people see IM title as a stepping stone and anything else as failure. A very silly view point but one I come across often.
Chess is a conversation. At Chess Club Live everyone can join that conversation whatever your elo rating. :D

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:07 pm

All IM titles are for life. Perhaps you mean to suggest that IMs who have maintained ratings over 2400 for ten or more years of active playing (for example) should have an enhanced title. FIDE, who makes money from every title application, may well listen with an open mind ...

Anyway, what about poor FMs who never made an effort to seek the IM title but who are also assumed by many to be incapable of doing it? That is the real injustice in this cruel world lies :cry:

Michael Mkpadi

Post by Michael Mkpadi » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:18 pm

Anyway, what about poor FMs who never made an effort to seek the IM title but who are also assumed by many to be incapable of doing it? That is the real injustice in this cruel world lies :cry:
Yeah cruel. What's even worse is I'm running a list of chess coaches for my community and coaches who volunteered to join the list are listed on a directory for members of our chess community to choose to hire as their chess coach. Some see the titles as an indicator of how good the professionals are as coaches - Wrong! An FM could be a way better chess coach for a particular player and players in general than a GM could be. But some people can't see past the titles and elos. Shame that.

Michael Mkpadi

Post by Michael Mkpadi » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:24 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:All IM titles are for life. Perhaps you mean to suggest that IMs who have maintained ratings over 2400 for ten or more years of active playing (for example) should have an enhanced title. FIDE, who makes money from every title application, may well listen with an open mind ...

I used the wording "Life Senior" as analogous to the USCF master title, I guess the National Master titles are for life too but doesn't stop them calling Life Masters, Life Masters. It's a simple point.

Nigel_Davies

Post by Nigel_Davies » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:41 pm

Michael Mkpadi wrote:no less talented than your average GM.
If you manage to find an average GM to show you a thing or two, you might conclude that Arena Master titles are overrated! :)

Michael Mkpadi

Post by Michael Mkpadi » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:28 pm

Nigel_Davies wrote:
If you manage to find an average GM to show you a thing or two, you might conclude that Arena Master titles are overrated! :)
Easy tiger :)

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:21 pm

Michael Mkpadi wrote:
Nigel_Davies wrote:
Easy tiger :)
I think perhaps you're missing the point Nigel Davies GM (inactive) is making. If a player has the talent and has taken the time and made the effort to become a GM and then stopped playing competitive chess to spend more time coaching then there is no way an FM or IM is going to be able to match what the GM (inactive) is offering.

I would also suggest that if your FM or IM is still actively pursuing higher titles then his coaching is also going to be worth considerably less than that of an inactive or semi-inactive FM or IM.
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:25 pm

Brian Towers wrote:I would also suggest that if your FM or IM is still actively pursuing higher titles then his coaching is also going to be worth considerably less than that of an inactive or semi-inactive FM or IM.
Why would you suggest that? :shock:

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:40 pm

If a player is still actively pursuing titles his priorities will be very different from one who has put that behind him for coaching / teaching. I would also suggest that a fulltime / dedicated coach is likely to be a much better teacher / coach than a dedicated player.

Why do you ask, Lawrence? Are you still pursuing titles whilst doing a bit of coaching on the side?
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:47 pm

Brian Towers wrote:I would also suggest that a fulltime / dedicated coach is likely to be a much better teacher / coach than a dedicated player.

Coach or Second though? Those competing at the highest level prefer to recruit from their active professional colleagues for assistance during matches and tournaments.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:50 pm

Brian Towers wrote:If a player is still actively pursuing titles his priorities will be very different from one who has put that behind him for coaching / teaching. I would also suggest that a fulltime / dedicated coach is likely to be a much better teacher / coach than a dedicated player.

Why do you ask, Lawrence? Are you still pursuing titles whilst doing a bit of coaching on the side?
Not at all, i'm in the inactive/semi-inactive category that you originally referred to and couldn't understand why they would have an advantage over someone actively playing for norms and titles.

Your other point about a full time/dedicated coach is more plausible though.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:13 pm

I tried to introduce an Elite GM title, basically 200 points higher than the GM title, but was thwarted in this endeavour.

The Rating, in addition to the title, gives a good indication of the playing strength. Thus I am a CM rated 2050. That gives no indication of my current ability as a chess educator.
Longterm IMs do receive respect. So far two IMs rated under 2250 have entered Hastings.
I believe all GMs, IMs, WGMs, WIMs should receive free entry to chess events.