Not paying the entry fee

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
soheil_hooshdaran

Not paying the entry fee

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:47 am

Hello
I was already registered at the toournament Shiraz cup 2016 on credit. I'd forgotten to take to the registerers the money with myself last night (round1), and so I promised to bring it the next round (=today).
Today I had the money and before sitting at my table, asked the arbiter what'd happed if I don't pay? He said we'd omit your name from the table. When I asked about any other consequence, he said you'll be 6 months deprived of play. I replied I will pay if I won the game and won't if I loose. He repiled in high pitch no! you shall pay immediately.
Did he have this right? Are the penalties justified?

Roger de Coverly

Re: Not paying the entry fee

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:00 am

soheil_hooshdaran wrote: Did he have this right? Are the penalties justified?

The ECF has no such powers. As regards the Iranian chess federation, you would have a much better idea of the relative rights of organisers and players than this forum.

British Congress organisers might remove non-payers from the current tournament and refuse entries to their future tournaments, but it's at their discretion.

(edit) I think someone asking for the right to only pay an entry fee if they won would be liable to be expelled from the tournament and potentially banned from future tournaments of the same organiser. It's known there are players who frequently withdraw if they make a poor start and organisers probably have enough experience of this behaviour not to allow known candidates credit on entry fees. (/edit)
Last edited by Roger de Coverly on Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:07 am

soheil_hooshdaran wrote: I replied I will pay if I won the game and won't if I loose.
I can understand why various people have become tired of dealing with Soheil.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:20 am

NickFaulks wrote:
soheil_hooshdaran wrote: I replied I will pay if I won the game and won't if I loose.
I can understand why various people have become tired of dealing with Soheil.
Why?
I post here so that I get an official answer from the likes of Stewart Rueben

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:04 pm

The penalties for not paying the entry fee for a tournament are decided by the tournament, or possibly the federation in which the tournament takes place. They are not decided by FIDE, unless the tournament is an official FIDE event.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:18 pm

In tournaments I organise, names don't appear on the entry list until they pay the correct entry fee; and so they don't get paired in round 1 either. Normally I then chase up the entry noting the problem, and if they miss that e-mail, they might spot their name not appearing on the website and so get in touch wondering why their entry doesn't appear online.

Sometimes people who enter at the last minute ask if they can pay at the venue because it's easier. I say yes, but they have to pay the "on the day" entry fee, which is normally more expensive, and that they need to turn up by a certain time in order to find their way into the pairings for round 1. Far too many players who "enter" claiming they'll pay on the day don't actually turn up, and their no-show just messes up the tournament for those who have entered and paid properly.

So I never actually get this problem - it's always better to solve it in advance of the tournament than to sort it out at the tournament.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:22 pm

NickFaulks wrote: I can understand why various people have become tired of dealing with Soheil.

The Not Chess section has been virtually unreadable for some time. Is General Chat now to go the same way?

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:59 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote:
NickFaulks wrote: I can understand why various people have become tired of dealing with Soheil.
The Not Chess section has been virtually unreadable for some time. Is General Chat now to go the same way?
I am keeping an eye on it but it's a difficult call between a silly question and trolling.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:38 pm

The stuff in Not chess is surely entirely harmless? Absent us potentially wasting time answering it, and if we cared about that too much we wouldn't be on this forum!

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:12 pm

I agree with Martin - the Not Chess stuff is fine (and the language thread is sometimes genuinely intriguing)
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:02 pm

soheil_hooshdaran wrote:he said you'll be 6 months deprived of play. I replied I will pay if I won the game and won't if I loose.
So in order to get 1 free game of chess, you will accept a 6 month tournament ban??

If this indicative of your skills in negotiation it is little wonder that the book publishers ran a mile

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:25 am

Noy a free game, I wanted to avoid rating loss

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:59 am

This is the most disgraceful attitude I have ever heard of; it is bad enough withdrawing from tournaments to avoid rating point losses, but also not paying entry fees as well is the lowest of the low. I be careful off making your views clear, it is likely any entry you wish to make in the UK will definitely required you to make pre-payment a necessity (that's if they accept your entry)

Ray Sayers

Post by Ray Sayers » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:43 am

I wouldn't worry too much Alan - I came to the conclusion a long time ago that these posts are a wind up/trolling.

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:49 am

soheil_hooshdaran wrote:Noy a free game, I wanted to avoid rating loss
Here's a funny thing. I get lots of free games with no rating loss (or gain, for that matter) down my local chess club. Some evenings more than half a dozen, depending on the time control me and my opponents agree on. They're called "friendlies". You should try it.
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.