Amazing Leicester success ..Glenn Flear wins 1986 London Masters

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Christopher Kreuzer

Re: Amazing Leicester success ..Glenn Flear wins 1986 London Masters

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Tue May 03, 2016 5:01 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Mark Hannon wrote: I think Plaskett went the whole Tournament without a draw, even managing to rouse Boris Spassky to beat him on the day I was spectating.
That's correct: not a half against his name and he was the only player to beat Flear.
That cross-table in that BCM issue looks to have at least one mistake in it.

The line for Plaskett is wrong. He lost to Flear and beat Chandler. It was Polugaevsky who beat Flear.

Can't find the Plaskett-Flear game.

Brilliancy prize was won by Chandler:

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Tue May 03, 2016 5:10 pm

Mike Truran wrote:
Oh, Casablanca at San Sebastian must be worth a shout.
I'm sure Humphrey and Ingrid would have had something to say on the matter if the producers had switched the location. :wink:

Of all the typos in all the world, I had to make that one.

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:What is the furthest a rank outsider has got towards a shot at the world title?
Depends what you count as "a shot at the world title"? Ray has claimed in that he had competed for the World Championship in the past - on the grounds that he played in a zonal presumably. Technically true but pushing it a bit.

Nigel Short’s run to 1993 match with Kasparov was a genuine 'little guy' achievement I think. Using the term in relative terms of course. He got up to #3 in the rankings at the time.

Anand requalifying for a second match against Carlsen was a huge achievement in the circumstances.

I was thinking of the most shocking world championship match result. Not sure we have one. Kramnik taking down Gazza, perhaps the biggest one of modern times (by which I mean post WWII)

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Tue May 03, 2016 6:32 pm

Have we really forgotten Gelfand in 2012 already?? I know the match itself left something to be desired, but.....
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue May 03, 2016 7:36 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:Have we really forgotten Gelfand in 2012 already?? I know the match itself left something to be desired, but.....
Far from it - by the way, have you read his recent interview?
part 1 and part 2
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Tue May 03, 2016 7:49 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:Have we really forgotten Gelfand in 2012 already?? I know the match itself left something to be desired, but.....
Unfortunately the format of the candidates’ event left a lot to be desired as well. A great achievement in any circumstances, as you say, but personally I wouldn’t put Gelfand winning the candidates in quite the same league as Anand doing so.

Mark Hannon

Post by Mark Hannon » Tue May 03, 2016 8:22 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote:Oh, Casablanca at San Sebastian must be worth a shout. The one he only got to play because Marshall insisted he be invited.
Capablanca's victory was not really a surprise to any objective viewer as he had already crushed Marshall in a long match so he was clearly a top rank player by then.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Tue May 03, 2016 8:36 pm

Mark Hannon wrote:
Jonathan Bryant wrote:Oh, Casablanca at San Sebastian must be worth a shout. The one he only got to play because Marshall insisted he be invited.
Capablanca's victory was not really a surprise to any objective viewer as he had already crushed Marshall in a long match so he was clearly a top rank player by then.
That strikes me as benefit of hindsight thinking. It’s easy to see now, but weren’t there protests form some of the players that Capablanca was allowed to play at all because he wasn’t 'qualified to play at that level? If so that doesn’t really fit with 'hardly a surprise to any objective viewer' that he won.

That’s the story as I remember it at least. I'd be grateful if historians amongst us can let us know the detail/if that’s all apocryphal or whatnot.

PeterFarr

Post by PeterFarr » Tue May 03, 2016 9:57 pm

Mike Truran wrote:
Oh, Casablanca at San Sebastian must be worth a shout.
I'm sure Humphrey and Ingrid would have had something to say on the matter if the producers had switched the location. :wink:
http://streathambrixtonchess.blogspot.c ... a.html?m=1

One day you'll regret it....., maybe not today...

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Tue May 03, 2016 10:17 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote:
Mark Hannon wrote:
That strikes me as benefit of hindsight thinking. It’s easy to see now, but weren’t there protests form some of the players that Capablanca was allowed to play at all because he wasn’t 'qualified to play at that level? If so that doesn’t really fit with 'hardly a surprise to any objective viewer' that he won.

That’s the story as I remember it at least. I'd be grateful if historians amongst us can let us know the detail/if that’s all apocryphal or whatnot.
Story is that the participant who most objected to JRC's inclusion was Ossip Bernstein, who was of course duly crushed in a Capa brilliancy.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Tue May 03, 2016 11:16 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote: Story is that the participant who most objected to JRC's inclusion was Ossip Bernstein, who was of course duly crushed in a Capa brilliancy.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed May 04, 2016 7:20 am

Jonathan Bryant wrote:That’s the story as I remember it at least. I'd be grateful if historians amongst us can let us know the detail/if that’s all apocryphal or whatnot.
I'd be interested in informed opinions on the similar matter of Pillsbury winning at Hastings.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Mark Hannon

Post by Mark Hannon » Wed May 04, 2016 7:28 am

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Jonathan Bryant wrote:
Mark Hannon wrote: Capablanca's victory was not really a surprise to any objective viewer as he had already crushed Marshall in a long match so he was clearly a top rank player by then.

Story is that the participant who most objected to JRC's inclusion was Ossip Bernstein, who was of course duly crushed in a Capa brilliancy.
The qualifying conditions for San Sebastián 1911 required competitors ta have had a good result in a tournament something like a first 2 or twice in the first 4, Bernstein and maybe Nimzovich claimed Capa had not earned this qualification. Though that's what I meant , that these Two were non objective observers surely beating Marshall 8-1 made Capa's strength clear.

Steven DuCharme

Post by Steven DuCharme » Wed May 04, 2016 11:12 pm

I float like a pawn island and sting like an ignored knight :mrgreen:

Steven DuCharme

Post by Steven DuCharme » Wed May 04, 2016 11:42 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote:
Mark Hannon wrote:... is there any chance for chess to get a bit of the media action ....
I would think not.

On the subject of great chess upsets, off of the top of my head I can’t think of a better tournament upset than Glenn Flear’s London win. If we’re going to include individual games, then R Alan Barton’s win over Stuart Conquest a few years back (2011/2012 or thereabouts) must be up there. I’d played Mr B not long before at Paignton. People I can 1/2 - 1/2 against don’t normally go on to beat British Champions.
Please post the Barton v. Conqust game asap. Merci beaucoup :mrgreen:
I float like a pawn island and sting like an ignored knight :mrgreen:

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Thu May 05, 2016 12:05 am

The chessgames.com site is not working for me at the moment, anybody else have the same problem?