LCC

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Carl Gorka

LCC

Post by Carl Gorka » Sat May 28, 2016 2:44 pm

Living in Australia, I'm out of the loop a bit. So I only just noticed the field for the London Classic.

Can someone explain why the London Classic is part of the GCT and therefore no English player is competing in the top section? Is this considered a good thing for English chess?

I apologise if this has been discussed before, just send me to the thread....

LawrenceCooper

Re: LCC

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sat May 28, 2016 2:51 pm

We know nine of the players from here: http://grandchesstour.org/participants but the tenth player for London has yet to be announced. I hope that it will be an English player.

Carl Gorka

Post by Carl Gorka » Sat May 28, 2016 2:55 pm

Thanks Lawrence, I hope so too.

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Sat May 28, 2016 11:16 pm

Last year Michael Adams was given the wild card. It is likely he will be offered it again though maybe David Howell will be considered too.
Or maybe somebody would like to sponsor a qualifying event among the six English players currently rated over 2650?
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun May 29, 2016 12:05 am

Tim Harding wrote: Or maybe somebody would like to sponsor a qualifying event among the six English players currently rated over 2650?
At a guess, there might be a repeat of the knockout "British" event that saw David Howell defeat Nick Pert, only this time with enough time in advance to enable the winner to prepare to play in the London Classic.