Under promotions for pawns during a match game

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Kevin O'Rourke

Under promotions for pawns during a match game

Post by Kevin O'Rourke » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:16 pm

Has anyone used or had interesting stories of under promotion which of course I mean to a Knight, and did it help you in the game.. was it a mistake?

I recently had a correspondance game where my pawn was sitting on the 7th rank for a while and I could have made it into a knight to give check. I greedily held on to it hoping for a Queen and ended up losing the game. I also lost the opportunity to make it into a knight because my opponant defended the check idea that had come up earlyer. Kind of regret not just making it a Knight for the sheer fun of it (game against a mate) and, as I said, it may well have saved the game.

Unlikely it will come up again for a while. :?

IM Jack Rudd

Re: Under promotions for pawns during a match game

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:24 pm

Nosenko-Rudd, Monmouth 1999. White to play and mate in four.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:33 pm

Kevin O'Rourke wrote:Has anyone used or had interesting stories of under promotion which of course I mean to a Knight
A game between the late Tony Miles and Michael Adams from 1993 comes to mind.

They reached this position with White to move.

The Shredder tablebase tells me that Ka4 also draws, but Adams played the amusing and necessary b8=N. That's dramatic as b8=Q allows mate in one.

Kevin O'Rourke

Post by Kevin O'Rourke » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:15 pm

These are famous games but what about club or even friendly games. Also like I said, were there any interesting options/threats to do it that influenced the game? Would be great to take someone by surprise when a horsey appears with a devastating fork or check.

Ian Kingston

Post by Ian Kingston » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:43 pm

The closest example in my games was this missed opportunity. I played 41...Rxd2 and won easily enough, but there was a mate in three available.

Matt Fletcher

Post by Matt Fletcher » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:38 pm

I had a recent game where underpromotion didn't appear on the board, but was a major threat.

Black has just played ...Rg8 threatening mate - White to play.

Jesper Norgaard

Post by Jesper Norgaard » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:03 am

Jesper Nørgaard - Abel Davalos Club Mercenarios 2003

White to move and win - actually it seems to be forced that underpromotion is the only winning theme in this position.

The page http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php ... -checkmate actually shows 5 underpromotions from my games alone. There is an underpromotion from Kevin Bonham. Come to think of it, in my youth I had a sixth underpromotion to a bishop, creating the pair of bishops, which I duly went on to checkmate with. Sort of a protest that he didn't resign. Of course you shouldn't do that, as that only encourages the opponent to play on.

Kevin O'Rourke

Post by Kevin O'Rourke » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:01 pm

When playing online I have done an under promtion to a rook just to give checkmate along a rank or file.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:05 pm

I am still trying to solve the mate in 4 from Jack's game...
I haven't solved Matt's poser either (does it start with Qh6+?).
I did get Jesper's one (a good example).

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:36 pm

I suppose everyone knows the trap in the Albin that leads to a position with three Knights.

4.e3 is a little inaccurate as you have to accept the position with pawns on e5 and e3 with 6. fxe3
Last edited by Roger de Coverly on Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:38 pm

Who came up with the term 'underpromotion'? In, albeit rare, circumstances where its advantageous to 'underpromote' it's something of a misnomer to call it that as the piece promoted to, for example a knight may have more value than a queen in the position at hand. If promoting to a knight can deliver mate, for example, shouldn't we call it overpromotion rather than rely on a singular generic term.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:20 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:I haven't solved Matt's poser either (does it start with Qh6+?).
Very nice puzzle! It does start with Qh6+, and I was stuck for a while on how to meet the Rg6 defence, but have got it now (EDIT: though some of the lines end in draws? Is it a win for White or a draw?).

Simon Brown

Post by Simon Brown » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:17 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:I suppose everyone knows the trap in the Albin that leads to a position with three Knights.
Amusing story - back in the 1970s I was playing as a 12 year-old in a section of the Kent Championship, when games were arranged between individuals, and often played at one player's home. My father gave me a lift to Chatham one evening to play a chap who didn't know this trap; he played Rxg1 and resigned after Bg4+, total game time about 5 minutes. Unfortunately my father was on his way home to Petts Wood, expecting to pick me up several hours later, only to arrive home to a call instructing him to turn round and drive another 45 minutes back to Chatham - no mobile phones back then. A slightly awkward evening for all.

I saw Jack's mate in 4 immediately. Was trying to create a mate in 3 but Nd4 fails.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:14 pm

Simon Brown wrote:I saw Jack's mate in 4 immediately. Was trying to create a mate in 3 but Nd4 fails.
Does it start with Kb5?

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:34 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Simon Brown wrote:I saw Jack's mate in 4 immediately. Was trying to create a mate in 3 but Nd4 fails.
Does it start with Kb5?
No.