Should an arbiter intervene?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Roger de Coverly

Re: Should an arbiter intervene?

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:35 pm

Jesper Norgaard wrote: It is peculiar that the opponent did see the incident but didn't report the breach of the touch-move rule to the arbiter or perhaps the controller.
Not at all peculiar. It was the section for the lowest rated and implicitly less experienced players who may well not have been aware of all the subtleties of the Laws of Chess.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:40 pm

Mike Truran wrote: Italicized and emboldened above just in case it's not obvious enough.
Like I said, don't be shy about coming along to watch it in practice. Seriously, Baku should be good. Who is England's Head of Delegation ( full board but not airfare provided, airfare from London is very cheap )?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:30 am

Malcolm will be there.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:44 am

Mike Truran wrote:Malcolm will be there.
Isn't he the Delegate?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:56 am

Is this your obscure way of saying that you are leaving the Head of Delegation post empty? I'm sure you can manage without one, just asking.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:08 am

NickFaulks wrote:Is this your obscure way of saying that you are leaving the Head of Delegation post empty? I'm sure you can manage without one, just asking.
I suspect the link he intended was http://www.englishchess.org.uk/english- ... announced/ and that Malcolm is performing both roles albeit depending on how the Olympiad free rooms work there may be another name nominated as HoD.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:11 am

Lawrence is correct.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:22 am

LawrenceCooper wrote: there may be another name nominated as HoD.
Isn't the deadline today? I have an interest here because I'm struggling to get my own group registered properly.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:26 am

Perhaps there should be an Olympiad thread, or perhaps this doesn't need to be public at all.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:52 am

NickFaulks wrote:
LawrenceCooper wrote: there may be another name nominated as HoD.
Isn't the deadline today? I have an interest here because I'm struggling to get my own group registered properly.
I believe so but for once I'm not involved in my team's admin :D

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:31 am

Deadline extended to 15 July. :D

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:15 am

Mike Truran wrote:Deadline extended to 15 July. :D
I got mine in at 11.55 last night, needless panic as it turns out but at least it's done. Baku have been very helpful, but the difficulties faced by federations lacking an IT professional are always underestimated.

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:37 am

I hesitate to intrude on such an animated discussion but, returning to the subject of an arbiter's actions when faced (after an alleged incident which he has not personally witnessed) with one player's word against another, what credence if any should he placed on witnesses? I've always taken the view that witnesses are more likely than not to have a connection of some sort with one or other of the players and should therefore not be consulted as they cannot be relied on as independent. What's the official line from those with formal arbiting qualifications?

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:17 am

I asked a highly respected arbiter that question and he confirmed that any evidence could and should be taken into account, at the arbiter's discretion. For instance, if the players have stopped keeping score but an observer ( even a team member ) is doing so, that would probably be accepted in a 50 move claim. It would be a considerable slur to suggest that they had deliberately inserted or omitted some moves.

If no credence could be placed on witnesses, where would our legal system be?