Uses For Unwanted Chess Sets

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Joey Stewart

Uses For Unwanted Chess Sets

Post by Joey Stewart » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:57 am

Im sure most of you have had a similar experience, you tell friends and family that you play chess and their reaction is to go out and buy you a set. Well, thanks, I really needed that after 15 years of playing. Dont know why I didnt have one before, it will look great next to the 15 others.... you get the picture.

Anyway, my wife found a novelty use for the wooden board - it makes a pretty fine chopping board in the kitchen.
Anybody else found creative ways to rid yourselves of excess sets.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Christopher Kreuzer

Re: Uses For Unwanted Chess Sets

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:38 pm

Donate them to a club or to someone with children who might want to play chess? You never know, you might inspire a future world champion! (Or at least encourage more people to play). Chopping board! :roll:

Niall Doran

Post by Niall Doran » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:56 pm

Wouldn't be the first to use it as a chopping board!

http://images.google.fr/imgres?imgurl=h ... 4&biw=1280

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:49 am

He he, looks like valeri had the same problem as me.

I don't think donation is really the answer though, two things that you hate to see as a club organiser are dodgy old books/magazines and novelty/non conforming chess sets. I looked on eBay and there seem to be sets that sell there so I might just have a disposal method.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:04 pm

Joey Stewart wrote:He he, looks like valeri had the same problem as me.

I don't think donation is really the answer though, two things that you hate to see as a club organiser are dodgy old books/magazines and novelty/non conforming chess sets. I looked on eBay and there seem to be sets that sell there so I might just have a disposal method.
Can't get enough of that sort of thing, myself :)

Seriously, very few old chess books are without value (certainly if you learn descriptive notation, which really isn't hard whatever some say)
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)