I have an opinion about a few of the players.

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
MJMcCready

Re: I have an opinion about a few of the players.

Post by MJMcCready » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:29 am

I think you have a point there Tim. I've noticed that I don't enjoy commentary these days if its not Jan or the American team of Vaganian & Ashley. Jan has the knowledge and the means to communicate it well, which is not always the case with some commentators. And like you said, to do it in your second language is even more impressive.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:56 am

I thought he should have said something about the tournament format. We wouldn't see such conservative dull play in an Open tournament I suspect.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:36 am

MJMcCready wrote:I thought he should have said something about the tournament format. We wouldn't see such conservative dull play in an Open tournament I suspect.
Probably not, no. +3 =6 in a 9-round all-play-all against a bunch of players of your own standard gives you a decent chance of first place; +3 =6 in a 9-round Swiss with players of varying standards probably gets you nothing. So the top players in a Swiss need to try to take more risks to win.

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:25 am

MJMcCready wrote:I've noticed that I don't enjoy commentary these days if its not Jan or the American team of Vaganian & Ashley .
For Vaganian read Seirawan. (Not forgetting jennifer Shahade.)

I quite like their style of commentary too, though i know somebody who hates it. The random phone calls from low-rated viewers can be annoying but I just turn off the sound during those bits.

Now I'm quite curious to see who will commentate at the Olympiad. Maybe chess24 will get Peter Svidler as he's not on the Russian team?
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:02 am

Hope so, the promo vid is here, although its rather dull.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00cT8BTEfjE

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:04 am

IM Jack Rudd wrote:
MJMcCready wrote:I thought he should have said something about the tournament format. We wouldn't see such conservative dull play in an Open tournament I suspect.
Probably not, no. +3 =6 in a 9-round all-play-all against a bunch of players of your own standard gives you a decent chance of first place; +3 =6 in a 9-round Swiss with players of varying standards probably gets you nothing. So the top players in a Swiss need to try to take more risks to win.

In additional, you wonder how they can find inspiration playing each other so often. How many times have we seen Caruana - Nakamura this year already?

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:02 pm

Hi MJM,

How many times have we seen Caruana - Nakamura this year already?

This year so far it's 4 times, twice in the candidates, one USA Championship and the Sinquefield Cup.
(Caruana leads 2-0 with 2 draws.)

But your are right it's always the same old faces v the same old faces playing the same old draws.
(OOPS! I've just opened the door for some Blue Mooner to announce draws can be very interesting and entertiaining.)

These things should have two top 10 players and 8 wannabes. ranging from 2500-2700.
2 wins and 7 draws which won the last Sinquefield Cup won't cut it then.

The top 10 will have a chance to display their obvious strength and we could be treated to a shock or two.

Going back to Nakamura v Caruana.

Take out the World Championship match and Alekhine played Capablanca 15 times over a period of 25 years.
Since 2016 Nakamura has played Caruana 29 times. ...29 times in 6 years!

Does that Radio Jan guy invite guest speakers. I have a few choice things to say.......I demand to be heard.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:20 pm

Well, it just looks to me like they are more motivated by the prize funds than playing some interesting chess.

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:47 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:Hi MJM,

Does that Radio Jan guy invite guest speakers. I have a few choice things to say.......I demand to be heard.

We need a "radio Geoff" I would definitely be up for co hosting that with you.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.