Search found 60 matches

by Pete Heaven
Sat Sep 26, 2026 5:47 am
Forum: International News
Topic: 2026 Chess Olympiad
Replies: 663
Views: 33889

Re: 2026 Chess Olympiad

There seem to be exceptions to this, Ian...or at least one.

Jason Garcia (Wales) received his FM title after an FM-level performance in the European Club Cup in 2024, despite never reaching 2100 FIDE.
by Pete Heaven
Tue Nov 19, 2024 8:47 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: English chess is moribund
Replies: 300
Views: 27582

Re: English chess is moribund

I'm not English and I haven't been following this thread. However, I notice that, of the 30 juniors aged 10 or under who are rated over 2000, England has five of the top 22. Including numbers 1 and 5. Next best is the USA and China with three players. Those with two entries include Scotland. Perhaps...
by Pete Heaven
Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:56 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Very long games in weekend tournaments
Replies: 66
Views: 12721

Re: Very long games in weekend tournaments

It's maybe worth mentioning that the player of the black pieces was/will be nine years old this year.
by Pete Heaven
Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:29 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Accusation against Alejandro Ramirez
Replies: 509
Views: 68519

Re: Accusation against Alejandro Ramirez

This weekend sees the largest congress in Wales for a decade...and perhaps a lot more. 5 female participants out of 141. 3.5%.
by Pete Heaven
Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:07 am
Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
Topic: Robert Graham Taylor
Replies: 2
Views: 1817

Re: Robert Graham Taylor

The above entry from Simon, which covers most of the Welsh Chess Union's tribute to Robert, sells his contribution woefully short. Across his half-century of service to Welsh chess, he will principally be remembered for the implementation of a live rating system which is still in place today. He wro...
by Pete Heaven
Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:09 pm
Forum: International News
Topic: Carlsen resigns on move 2
Replies: 1126
Views: 146488

Re: Carlsen resigns on move 2

Sorry folks, I've just been directed back for an encore. Just to clear up a couple of things. I approached the ECF numerous times, more or less the last time being to report someone who had been banned 3 times in the space of 6 months and had 15/15 with his current account. No action was taken and a...
by Pete Heaven
Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:44 pm
Forum: International News
Topic: Carlsen resigns on move 2
Replies: 1126
Views: 146488

Re: Carlsen resigns on move 2

I didn’t see David’s original post. Perhaps it’s just as well. In response to the modified effort, thank you very much for the sentiment. I cannot say I don’t like you as we have never met. However, I don’t like your response. Is this really a witch-hunt? The sentence of mine you select for your des...
by Pete Heaven
Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:34 pm
Forum: International News
Topic: Carlsen resigns on move 2
Replies: 1126
Views: 146488

Re: Carlsen resigns on move 2

On the victimless, trivial non-crime of online cheating which few people should care about, can I raise a few real-life points in opposition to it, though I guess most people know what I think. - Firstly, you're wasting a lot of other people's time, especially if, say, you're a regular in 4NCL onlin...
by Pete Heaven
Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:58 am
Forum: International News
Topic: Carlsen resigns on move 2
Replies: 1126
Views: 146488

Re: Carlsen resigns on move 2

Although it is bitter-sweet, it is nevertheless a relief for me to hear Fabi say (in Paul C's link above, at about 42 and 51 minutes, respectively).... "I would also take Regan's analysis with a large grain of salt...because I know of a very high profile case where, with absolute certainty, I can sa...
by Pete Heaven
Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:18 pm
Forum: Congress Diary
Topic: British Championship Congress 2022
Replies: 522
Views: 63223

Re: British Championship Congress 2022

"There is a much higher arbiter / player ratio at a Hybrid event." Sure - and I expected this reply. However, it doesn't come close to covering my entire point by any means, including the quality of this year's Glorney games or indeed arbiters, whatever the arbiter:player ratio, being pro-active, in...
by Pete Heaven
Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:05 am
Forum: Congress Diary
Topic: British Championship Congress 2022
Replies: 522
Views: 63223

Re: British Championship Congress 2022

I can't see why a hybrid event would necessarily be safer than an OTB one. There's no opponent to raise concerns about multiple absences from the board so it's wholly incumbent upon the arbiters to take the lead and intervene. Also, as the Glorney games in question were of such a high standard, with...
by Pete Heaven
Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:17 am
Forum: International News
Topic: 44th Olympiad, Chennai 28 July to 10 August 2022
Replies: 652
Views: 60617

Re: 44th Olympiad, Chennai 28 July to 10 August 2022

In other news, Tim Kett (Wales), who many of you will know, secured his FM title in the last round.
by Pete Heaven
Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:36 am
Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
Topic: Brian Eley
Replies: 389
Views: 66073

Re: Brian Eley

William Watson was indeed part of the 1980 team, on board 2. I played him - I think you all turned up half an hour late. You did have a full team that day, as you beat Wales 5.5-0.5.
by Pete Heaven
Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:45 am
Forum: 4NCL
Topic: Division Three Central 2021/22
Replies: 30
Views: 20093

Re: Division Three Central 2021/22

Since Neil's post, our team captain has booked 6 rooms at Woodland Grange for the next weekend so things may be ok for others too.
by Pete Heaven
Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:53 am
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Cheating in chess
Replies: 3304
Views: 562305

Re: Cheating in chess

Surely hybrid chess, at the moment, is online, with Tornelo, Zoom and local arbiters as safeguards. Given the number of bans (eventually) meted out at the World Youth Championships in 2021, it seems that trustworthy local arbiters are key to hybrid chess working. One player won a silver medal in the...