Search found 8 matches

by TomVilliers
Sat Aug 15, 2026 3:25 pm
Forum: ECF Matters
Topic: 2026 British Chess Championships
Replies: 522
Views: 82142

Re: 2026 British Chess Championships

I think FMs over 2200 auto qualify every year on the May(?) rating list. But if the requirement was above 50% we'd have 5-6 players qualifying through the Championship (who would not have done via rating/title) and if it was simply finish on 50% or higher we'd have about 15 players qualify. That see...
by TomVilliers
Sat Aug 15, 2026 11:18 am
Forum: ECF Matters
Topic: 2026 British Chess Championships
Replies: 522
Views: 82142

Re: 2026 British Chess Championships

After seeing 13 qualify for next years British from Major Open and effectively 0 qualify from main British Championship, maybe next year the qualification process should be changed to scoring 5/9 or even just 50% in the British Championship will automatically get you in the next year's event.
by TomVilliers
Thu May 09, 2024 3:20 pm
Forum: ECF Matters
Topic: British Chess Championship 2024
Replies: 360
Views: 80110

Re: British Chess Championship 2024

Do we know when the final details will be released regarding commentary, qualifiers etc. for the British this year?
by TomVilliers
Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:36 pm
Forum: Chess Questions
Topic: Incorrect chess board rotation
Replies: 21
Views: 13449

Re: Incorrect chess board rotation

I would have argued that it would be more distracting for me to be seeing the wrong notation for 3hours or more!

Also being penalised by having my opponent get 2 minutes extra time is fine with me, as my playing style is a worse version of Jack Rudd's
by TomVilliers
Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:20 pm
Forum: Chess Questions
Topic: Incorrect chess board rotation
Replies: 21
Views: 13449

Re: Incorrect chess board rotation

I remember a game with Nevil Chan in the 4ncl Div 3 where after about 5 moves I noticed the board was round the wrong way with the white pieces being on the 7th & 8th ranks at the start. My solution was to wait for my turn before saying "Adjust" and sweeping all the pieces off the board; turning it ...
by TomVilliers
Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:15 pm
Forum: Congress Diary
Topic: Northumbria Masters
Replies: 46
Views: 7771

Re: Northumbria Masters

I think a lot of people enter last minute, I know several players still likely to play but not entering yet for unexplained reasons
by TomVilliers
Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:45 pm
Forum: Congress Diary
Topic: Northumbria Masters
Replies: 46
Views: 7771

Re: Northumbria Masters

It was just announced that the Masters is now open to all ratings.
While this is great news for all the 1600s and/or juniors it's not so good for me & other players rated 2000-2200 wanting to avoid underrated opposition
by TomVilliers
Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:37 am
Forum: Congress Diary
Topic: British Championship 2023
Replies: 339
Views: 53418

Re: British Championship 2023

Re Jonathan's point about potential norm seekers I think I may be able to get an IM norm with a result today and tomorrow as I've got a 2481 today and am currently performing at around 2400