Search found 158 matches
- Sun Jul 12, 2026 9:21 am
- Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
- Topic: David White RIP
- Replies: 15
- Views: 2610
- Wed Feb 05, 2025 12:05 pm
- Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
- Topic: Stewart Reuben
- Replies: 111
- Views: 21958
Re: Stewart Reuben
I am very sorry to hear this news. He made an enormous contribution to chess life in this country. I can't think of many people who loved chess as much as Stewart.
- Sat May 18, 2024 1:22 pm
- Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
- Topic: FM Graham Morrison
- Replies: 19
- Views: 7016
Re: FM Graham Morrison
I’m very sorry to hear this news. Graham and I played quite a few times over the years and he was always a friendly and gracious opponent. My condolences to Lynne and Graham’s friends and family.
- Sat May 06, 2023 7:00 am
- Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
- Topic: FM Mike Franklin (02-ii-1931 25-iv-2023)
- Replies: 27
- Views: 7006
Re: FM Mike Franklin (02-ii-1931 25-iv-2023)
Very sorry to hear this news. We must have played about a dozen times over a 40 year period. Condolences to friends and family.
- Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:15 am
- Forum: Congress Results
- Topic: 26th 4NCL OTB Congress : 10-12 September 2021
- Replies: 4
- Views: 8118
- Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:36 am
- Forum: Live Games
- Topic: Northumbria Masters
- Replies: 39
- Views: 32647
Re: Northumbria Masters
Thanks - perfect!Ian Thompson wrote: ↑Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:27 amThis week's The Week in Chess has 196 of the games, probably the top 22 boards in each round, bar a couple where the game score is missing.
- Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:25 am
- Forum: Live Games
- Topic: Northumbria Masters
- Replies: 39
- Views: 32647
Re: Northumbria Masters
Just a quick note to thank Tim Wall and the rest of his team, including Paul McKeown who was the arbiter in the event I played, for a very well organised tournament.
Is there somewhere I can download the games?
Is there somewhere I can download the games?
- Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:17 am
- Forum: General Chat
- Topic: Rook Odds Rules.
- Replies: 39
- Views: 9353
Re: Rook Odds Rules.
Michael - congratulations! I’m impressed ...
- Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:40 pm
- Forum: General Chat
- Topic: Rook Odds Rules.
- Replies: 39
- Views: 9353
Re: Rook Odds Rules.
I’m trying to make a little puzzle ...
White is a playing at odds of queen’s rook. The following position is reached:
White - king on e1, pawn on a3.
Black - king on c3, pawn on b4.
Black plays 1...b4-b3. Is this a) a winning move, b) a terrible blunder allowing white to draw, or c) ... ?
White is a playing at odds of queen’s rook. The following position is reached:
White - king on e1, pawn on a3.
Black - king on c3, pawn on b4.
Black plays 1...b4-b3. Is this a) a winning move, b) a terrible blunder allowing white to draw, or c) ... ?
- Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:43 pm
- Forum: Congress Diary
- Topic: The DeMontford Bell Kings Place Chess Festival
- Replies: 20
- Views: 10278
Re: The DeMontford Bell Kings Place Chess Festival
Thanks, Adam
Found exactly what I was looking for on playchess (and much other good stuff besides).
Found exactly what I was looking for on playchess (and much other good stuff besides).
- Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:16 am
- Forum: Congress Diary
- Topic: The DeMontford Bell Kings Place Chess Festival
- Replies: 20
- Views: 10278
Re: The DeMontford Bell Kings Place Chess Festival
Thanks, I hadn't found that ( obviously! ). Do we know how Peter Sowray came to lose to Jonathan Rowson in the last round when they appeared to be repeating moves? Are the games from yesterday still available online? If so, I'm happy to try to fix the score of my game vs. Jonathan. Fantastic event ...
- Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:21 am
- Forum: ECF Matters
- Topic: Kirsan Ilyumzhinov in London
- Replies: 33
- Views: 8071
Re: Kirsan Ilyumzhinov in London
David,
We'll have to agree to disagree here. I suspect that your views are shared by the vast majority of players, but I've made my point and I'll leave this thread for now.
Best,
Peter
We'll have to agree to disagree here. I suspect that your views are shared by the vast majority of players, but I've made my point and I'll leave this thread for now.
Best,
Peter
- Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:15 pm
- Forum: ECF Matters
- Topic: Kirsan Ilyumzhinov in London
- Replies: 33
- Views: 8071
Re: Kirsan Ilyumzhinov in London
David, Thanks for your considered views. I didn't specifically mention Yudina by name in my original post, partly because I have referred to her case (as have others) in previous posts on this forum, and partly because the human rights charge sheet against Ilyumzhinov extends beyond her murder. Of c...
- Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:33 pm
- Forum: ECF Matters
- Topic: Kirsan Ilyumzhinov in London
- Replies: 33
- Views: 8071
Re: Kirsan Ilyumzhinov in London
Kirsan Ilyumzhinov has many faults. It's not immediately obvious to me why you consider his "human rights record" to be one of them. Could you elaborate, please? David, There are many good sources. You could start by googling Larisa Yudina, or visit the Kingpin site and look at their material. Or r...
- Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:07 pm
- Forum: ECF Matters
- Topic: Kirsan Ilyumzhinov in London
- Replies: 33
- Views: 8071
Re: Kirsan Ilyumzhinov in London
The ECF's own record of the meeting shows that they failed to challenge Ilyumzhinov's human rights record. Or if they did, they chose not to publish this.Angus French wrote: What have the ECF done that's unacceptable? Should they not engage with FIDE?
In either case, that's unacceptable.