Search found 24 matches
- Sun May 07, 2023 8:14 pm
- Forum: General Chat
- Topic: Too much dishonesty in chess
- Replies: 73
- Views: 16110
Re: Too much dishonesty in chess
It proves you are crap at chess and need to find another hobby.
- Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:03 pm
- Forum: General Chat
- Topic: British 2015 Round by Round
- Replies: 827
- Views: 77540
Re: British 2015 Round by Round
Oops - didn`t Gormally miss a win with 119. ...Rc2! ?
- Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:10 am
- Forum: General Chat
- Topic: Long Algebraic
- Replies: 15
- Views: 2835
Re: Long Algebraic
I seem to recall Bill Hartston using long algebraic even when in serious time-trouble. Impeccable handwriting too.
- Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:35 am
- Forum: Not Chess!
- Topic: ECF Important News
- Replies: 5
- Views: 2467
ECF Important News
Worrying news for all tournament players following a very sad incident in Hungary: Doctors are blaming an electrical imbalance in the brain for the bizarre death of a chess player whose head literally exploded during the final round of the recent Ist Saturday tournament in Budapest, Hungary. No-one ...
- Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:56 am
- Forum: General Chat
- Topic: Fritz (chess program) query
- Replies: 2
- Views: 1179
Re: Fritz (chess program) query
And to offer a Fritz a draw just select Home on the Ribbon Menu and select "offer draw" or just "Control+D" ...
- Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:44 am
- Forum: General Chat
- Topic: Fritz (chess program) query
- Replies: 2
- Views: 1179
Re: Fritz (chess program) query
Try file>options>game>resign and select "never".
- Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:32 pm
- Forum: General Chat
- Topic: Playing to win against a lower rated opponent
- Replies: 19
- Views: 3565
Re: Playing to win against a lower rated opponent
Jonathan Bryant wrote "...I know what you mean, though, but it's a bit of a gamble isn't it? What if the opponent *takes* the draw?" Well I agree, as when I have tried it myself my opponents do indeed tend to take the draw and I regret making the offer! The point I was trying to make without insulti...
- Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:52 pm
- Forum: General Chat
- Topic: Playing to win against a lower rated opponent
- Replies: 19
- Views: 3565
Re: Playing to win against a lower rated opponent
Over the years I have had a number of foreign GMs (usually Russian, although Bogdan has done it twice) offer me a draw, always in an unclear position and I refuse, only to lose in short order. Clearly they could have just played on and patiently waited for my inevitable mistake so I firmy believe th...
- Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:42 pm
- Forum: General Chat
- Topic: British Chess Championships 2010
- Replies: 1565
- Views: 186098
Re: British Chess Championships 2010
[quote="Stewart Reuben"]...Torquay is perfect and would be great for the Championship Centenary in 2013.... I thought Torquay was far from perfect. The lighting on boards 8-12 in the British was extremely poor and although this was pointed out to the arbiters before round one, nothing was done to co...
- Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:58 pm
- Forum: General Chat
- Topic: Best Congress Format
- Replies: 13
- Views: 2166
Re: Best Congress Format
When I started playing in Congresses in the late 70s it was the norm to have six rounds (1 Friday, 3 Saturday and two Sunday). I would very much like to see a return to this format, particularly where a tournament is already run over the three days with Saturday evening free. After all, the venue ha...
- Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:09 pm
- Forum: General Chat
- Topic: Do you say "Check" or not??
- Replies: 85
- Views: 9098
Re: Do you say "Check" or not??
Regarding the results of the actual poll, I'm surprised at how many people say check.
- Wed May 19, 2010 10:48 pm
- Forum: ECF Matters
- Topic: What am I doing?
- Replies: 290
- Views: 47086
Re: What am I doing?
So CJ, who`s picking up the bill for this Jolly? The ECF? ... Hopefully subsidised by a few of the faithful? The food at Simpsons is excellent, the service impeccable but it`s not a cheap night out! The cheapest bottle of Claret last time I was there was nearly £40 and the non-vintage Krug was only...
- Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:37 pm
- Forum: International News
- Topic: British Champs Entry Fees
- Replies: 48
- Views: 6677
Re: British Champs Entry Fees
The entry fee to the British for non-titled players like myself is an eye-watering £200 and I am somewhat surprised that some of the more cynical contributors to this forum haven`t commented upon this on this thread. Should I be lucky enough to win a qualifying place at one of many weekend tourname...
- Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:55 pm
- Forum: ECF Matters
- Topic: British Championships 2010 - car parking
- Replies: 17
- Views: 2727
Re: British Championships 2010 - car parking
I visited the Canterbury venue last August and it seemed to me that travel to and from the center of Canterbury to the venue was going to be a serious problem for many competitors (and their families). I attended the sales pitch for Canterbury at the British Championships in Torquay 2009 where both ...
- Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:40 pm
- Forum: Chess Questions
- Topic: Rubbish Theoretical Article?
- Replies: 40
- Views: 7780
Re: Rubbish Theoretical Article?
Regarding the Morra Gambit (accepted), about 10 years ago the British Correspondence Chess Association (BCCA) ran a theme tournament with generous sponsorship from Ken Smith (USA) himself, one of the gambit`s main developers - so much so that the Morra-Smith Gambit is a widely accepted nomenclature....