Search found 21 matches

by John Charman
Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:34 am
Forum: Rating Debate
Topic: Rapidplay Grade
Replies: 54
Views: 14155

Re: Rapidplay Grade

I will make this one last post and then leave Mr de Coverley to argue with anyone who will listen to him. It is such a shame that he can only imagine problems, I am positive he would find it much more satisfying to imagine solutions. I can categorically state that within the Norfolk County Chess Ass...
by John Charman
Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:15 am
Forum: Rating Debate
Topic: Rapidplay Grade
Replies: 54
Views: 14155

Re: Rapidplay Grade

I have received messages from Andrrew and am quite satisfied it is the level f his workload hat led to an oversight. As far as raising problems on here goes, why would anybody apart from peopel who are against he system do that. Certainly the person who asked the question is a well known opponent of...
by John Charman
Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:37 pm
Forum: Rating Debate
Topic: Rapidplay Grade
Replies: 54
Views: 14155

Re: Rapidplay Grade

Thank you very much Adam, It is nice to see the voice of reason on here. I always work very closely with the office and normally channel any questions through them. All the staff, Andrew, Tina and Chris are always a joy to talk to and so helpful. I also do have the ear of a Non Executive Director in...
by John Charman
Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:13 pm
Forum: Rating Debate
Topic: Rapidplay Grade
Replies: 54
Views: 14155

Re: Rapidplay Grade

OK let's have some factual statements here in reply to you all. I offered to grade our players games provided both they and their opponent was a silver member and they both agreed to it, it was a genuine offer to help and made after reading the following in the Help Guide in the online database: GAM...
by John Charman
Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:25 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Rules about drinking alcohol before or during matches
Replies: 173
Views: 29981

Re: Rules about drinking alcohol before or during matches

What an interesting thread to read through although I had to skip a few posts as there are so many. I enjoy a pint whilst playing as do most other members of my club and I certainly don't find it offensive. What I do find offensive is people who have eaten a lot of garlic for their tea or had a part...
by John Charman
Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:07 am
Forum: Rating Debate
Topic: New ECF grades are now online.
Replies: 59
Views: 19631

Re: New ECF grades are now online.

In previous years the tournaments (the non-FIDE rated ones) have used the new grades for pairing purposes. The fact that they haven't this year seems to have been a) Not announced anywhere b) A surprise to everyone c) Not yet explained[/quote] Oh dear, maybe they are using them for pairing then I wa...
by John Charman
Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:29 am
Forum: Rating Debate
Topic: New ECF grades are now online.
Replies: 59
Views: 19631

Re: New ECF grades are now online.

Why is it that every year a big thing is made of getting the new grades out in time for the British but the tournament uses last years grades. I appreciate that for entry qualifiction you can obviously only use last years grades and realise it is not practical to change them before starting play, I ...
by John Charman
Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:25 pm
Forum: Rating Debate
Topic: New ECF grades are now online.
Replies: 59
Views: 19631

Re: New ECF grades are now online.

Paul McKeown wrote:I noticed a player who passed away last season being listed, whereas in the past I have seen something like "Name (deceased)". I assume this is simply a case of not being informed. Who should I let know?
I always find Richard Haddrell is the best for getting that done [email protected]
by John Charman
Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:35 am
Forum: Rating Debate
Topic: Six monthly grades
Replies: 36
Views: 9370

Re: Six monthly grades

Here in Norfolk we have taken the decision that the July grades will be used for any Norfolk competitions for the whole year where grading is used as eligibility for entry to a particular section of a tournament or to select board order in a match etc. Jaycee, is this Jan to Dec, AGM to AGM? Our co...
by John Charman
Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:21 pm
Forum: Rating Debate
Topic: Six monthly grades
Replies: 36
Views: 9370

Six monthly grades

I am aware that starting this year the normalplay grades are to be published in July and January. Here in Norfolk we have taken the decision that the July grades will be used for any Norfolk competitions for the whole year where grading is used as eligibility for entry to a particular section of a t...
by John Charman
Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:54 pm
Forum: ECF Matters
Topic: ECF Membership - a (summary) reply to the Proposal
Replies: 163
Views: 15698

Re: ECF Membership - a (summary) reply to the Proposal

As I understand it players do have a choice to be a bronze member but if they want to play congress chess their choice is then removed and they must be silver members; again as I understand it to work they have then forfeited the right to elect to be a bronze member ever again and will be expected ...
by John Charman
Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:50 pm
Forum: ECF Matters
Topic: ECF Membership - a (summary) reply to the Proposal
Replies: 163
Views: 15698

Re: ECF Membership - a (summary) reply to the Proposal

Bronze/Gamma - entitled to a grade Silver/Beta - as with Bronze/Gamma; but also to vote for President & Board members; to elect Council members Gold/Alpha - as with Silver/Beta; but also to stand for Board or Council; to approve Budget & Strat Plan; to represent England at chess These proposals are...
by John Charman
Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:50 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Chess Pairing Programs
Replies: 34
Views: 6024

Re: Chess Pairing Programs

Try learning how to do the pairings manually. It's far more rewarding. :) I couldn't agree more, pairing (by hand) is one of the parts of running a congress I enjoy the most. Interesting to note is that when I worked on the Norfolk Open one year with the late, great John Robinson doing another sect...
by John Charman
Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:06 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Membership of this list and the English Chess Federation
Replies: 44
Views: 5834

Re: Membership of this list and the English Chess Federation

There are only two positions (i think) with honoraria and the majority are entirely unpaid posts such as my own which is Director of International Chess. I think you may well be correct Loz. May I make it clear I was in no way criticising what you or any other Director does, quite the opposite, I w...
by John Charman
Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:42 am
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Membership of this list and the English Chess Federation
Replies: 44
Views: 5834

Re: Membership of this list and the English Chess Federation

Roger de Coverly<The ECF now runs on an employed administrative staff of three, the EBU, I think is twenty plus.> Is that really strictly true; there are other positions that attract honoraria and without which the organisation would not function, surely they should be included in the administrative...