Search found 101 matches
- Thu Sep 24, 2026 7:03 pm
- Forum: International News
- Topic: 2026 Chess Olympiad
- Replies: 608
- Views: 21410
Re: 2026 Chess Olympiad
I don’t understand our Open team policy (and haven’t for a number of years now). What’s the point of not blooding our brightest and best young players in Olympiads when our older players lose to the stronger teams, struggle to beat the weaker teams, and aren’t in contention for medals? One definiti...
- Fri Sep 18, 2026 6:31 pm
- Forum: International News
- Topic: 2026 Chess Olympiad
- Replies: 608
- Views: 21410
Re: 2026 Chess Olympiad
I see Ireland won 4-0 today. And they have GM Alex Baburin on board 3. Actually, all three rounds have been 4-0 for Ireland so far! :shock: Actually of course Ireland lost 0-4 in round 2 (to Poland). Apart from Alex the team is young, including four fairly recent Irish champions (Adam Collins won t...
- Tue Sep 15, 2026 11:43 am
- Forum: ECF Matters
- Topic: Questions on ECF Team Selection
- Replies: 84
- Views: 7223
Re: Questions on ECF Team Selection
"I don't think that this is what our gold reps are for at all. They are meant to consult members and represent their interests." I assume ECF has now insisted that players representing ECF are members of ECF, so why wouldn't the gold reps ask such questions? If a member feels badly treated in any w...
- Mon Sep 14, 2026 12:15 pm
- Forum: ECF Matters
- Topic: Questions on ECF Team Selection
- Replies: 84
- Views: 7223
Re: Questions on ECF Team Selection
"I don't think this has happened with the Open and Women's teams. I suspect selection of the Senior teams is more open-ended given that the "amateur" but wealthy players can assist with the financing." I suspect Junior selection is somewhat murky as well. I have heard several reports of people volu...
- Sun Sep 06, 2026 2:36 pm
- Forum: ECF Matters
- Topic: Questions on ECF Team Selection
- Replies: 84
- Views: 7223
Re: Questions on ECF Team Selection
In fairness to the current ECF team, there is a written policy on junior selection that anyone can read: https://www.englishchess.org.uk/Juniors/junior-selection-policy/ There was an hour-long interview with Tim Wall on the subject here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8a8_8pApuw I'm not sufficien...
- Tue Aug 25, 2026 8:38 pm
- Forum: General Chat
- Topic: Leaving the board without resigning
- Replies: 79
- Views: 4618
Re: Leaving the board without resigning
I had a case many years ago where a player was going to be mated in 1 move. He sat there for 5 minutes, and his opponent ill-advisedly said "Come on, you've only got one move!" The player said "I'm entitled to use my time however I like!" or similar. A minute later he got up and walked away, and hi...
- Wed Jul 15, 2026 8:57 pm
- Forum: ECF Matters
- Topic: Election of Direct Members' Representatives
- Replies: 162
- Views: 19426
Re: Election of Direct Members' Representatives
These were those Eccles events: https://eccleschess.com/when-arkell-came-to-eccles/ The ECF received complaints about them, and it resulted in these regulations being published: https://www.englishchess.org.uk/bona-fide-submissions/ Thanks - This makes sense, in some way the reporting on LMS just n...
- Wed Jun 24, 2026 12:32 pm
- Forum: General Chat
- Topic: Mickey Adams drops out of FIDE Top 100
- Replies: 16
- Views: 3994
Re: Mickey Adams drops out of FIDE Top 100
With age it's natural of course to some extent, though I'm sure he could have stayed in the top 100 longer if he chose his events more carefully (or simply played less).
Whilst bad for his rating, it is great for English chess that he plays so many of our events.
Whilst bad for his rating, it is great for English chess that he plays so many of our events.
- Sat May 30, 2026 5:26 pm
- Forum: ECF Matters
- Topic: ECF Membership should be voluntary
- Replies: 132
- Views: 11651
Re: ECF Membership should be voluntary
I agree with Mike. I think Covid was an exception (as many players knew ECF was in genuine financial danger) and in normal times I doubt membership would stay anywhere near that level on a voluntary basis. The extra spending on admin will not all be directly attributable to membership and if costs w...
- Mon Apr 28, 2025 12:31 pm
- Forum: ECF Matters
- Topic: ECF Finance Council Meeting 26 April 2025
- Replies: 13
- Views: 7371
Re: ECF Finance Council Meeting 26 April 2025
Thanks for the reports.
I am glad to see the contributions of Nigel Towers and Dave Thomas recognised, it was clear from my time on the board how much time and energy they spent on their respective roles. Very well deserved!
I am glad to see the contributions of Nigel Towers and Dave Thomas recognised, it was clear from my time on the board how much time and energy they spent on their respective roles. Very well deserved!
- Wed Dec 04, 2024 12:29 am
- Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
- Topic: IM Adam Hunt 1980-2024
- Replies: 37
- Views: 16694
Re: IM Adam Hunt 1980-2024
Sad news indeed, my condolences to Harriet and the rest of his family.
Very talented player and genuinely nice person, I'm sure he will be greatly missed by a lot of people in English chess.
Very talented player and genuinely nice person, I'm sure he will be greatly missed by a lot of people in English chess.
- Tue Jul 30, 2024 5:44 pm
- Forum: General Chat
- Topic: British Chess Championship Pairings Question
- Replies: 44
- Views: 4600
Re: British Chess Championship Pairings Question
I agree that ECF grades are probably more accurate for lower rated players generally. I'm still firmly against hybrid rules. To use one rating in the pairings and another for rating purposes just can't be correct. The games will be FIDE rated, so FIDE ratings should take priority and be used whereve...
- Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:14 pm
- Forum: Live Games
- Topic: British Rapidplay Championships 2024
- Replies: 9
- Views: 6465
Re: British Rapidplay Championships 2024
Lots of blunders and inaccurate play, even with the silicon machine looking over my shoulder. Wonder if the schedule from 10am to after 4pm with no break for lunch is impacting the levels of play? I think the time limit of 15m + 10s p/m feels more like blitz than rapid, which probably has a lot to ...
- Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:02 am
- Forum: ECF Matters
- Topic: ECF Finance Council Meeting 22 April 2023
- Replies: 78
- Views: 17045
Re: ECF Finance Council Meeting 22 April 2023
It's a small detail but the Finance Director's report on 2021-22 includes "We have an unaudited loss of £24,157 against a budgeted loss of £36,001" while the accompanying spreadsheet appears to show a budgeted loss of £57,296. Hi Roger, yes that looks odd, apologies. The £36,001 is a reference to t...
- Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:01 pm
- Forum: Congress Diary
- Topic: Northumberland Chess Congress
- Replies: 121
- Views: 20779
Re: Northumberland Chess Congress
One special condition seems unique to this event. Players must record their move before pressing the clock. Including players who continue to record moves despite being below the ‘five minute’ marker. This is to mitigate the risk of transgressing distancing rules when it is your opponents move. I h...