Search found 10 matches

by Paul Griffiths
Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:41 am
Forum: General Chat
Topic: The post-computer generation
Replies: 25
Views: 3113

Re: The post-computer generation

Some of the differences are probably operating at the race genetic level -- if I remember correctly, South Asian IQs are averaging at 82 and roughly the same holds in the Middle East as well. If you don't have basic intelligence to begin, how are you going to be creative? I think you need to refere...
by Paul Griffiths
Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:10 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Rules about drinking alcohol before or during matches
Replies: 173
Views: 29950

Re: Rules about drinking alcohol before or during matches

No truck with this. Actually, if it wasn't impossible on practical grounds, I'd think it would be good to make drinking mandatory during tournaments. As Humphey Bogart famously said "The problem with the world is that everyone else is three drinks behind".... The games would be more creative and the...
by Paul Griffiths
Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:51 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: The post-computer generation
Replies: 25
Views: 3113

Re: The post-computer generation

Playing devil's advocate just a touch here... how is it different having a chess computer help analyse a position to having your (very) strong chess friend/coach go through a game with you? The advantage of having a chess computer is that you can take this approach more often... Big difference. The...
by Paul Griffiths
Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:57 am
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Is chess a sport? If not, then why not?
Replies: 47
Views: 3437

Re: Is chess a sport? If not, then why not?

Paul, I think there is a very base interpretation of what constitutes a sport (which is not necessarily wrong). It basically asserts that there were a number of things that we had to do to survive such as 1. Escape predators 2. Get food (meat) By and large we do not have to do these things in devel...
by Paul Griffiths
Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:09 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Is chess a sport? If not, then why not?
Replies: 47
Views: 3437

Re: Is chess a sport? If not, then why not?

Lots of interesting answers here. When I asked this question I really wasn't looking at it in terms of having its status changed to get funding but I guess proclamations by the sports council are of relevance.... it seems that different bodies view it differently though. I was amused that the first ...
by Paul Griffiths
Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:02 am
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Is chess a sport? If not, then why not?
Replies: 47
Views: 3437

Is chess a sport? If not, then why not?

Apologies if this has been covered before. I'm sure I'm not the only person who has answered 'chess' to the question 'Do you play any sports?' and been told that 'chess is not a sport, it's a game/hobby'. Well..... why? Has anybody ever seen a (dictionary) definition of sport that would definitely p...
by Paul Griffiths
Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:27 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Varsity Match
Replies: 37
Views: 5637

Re: Varsity Match

I do have concerns though that 16-21 is the age group where players can drift away from the game so it would be nice if the varsity match and the recent university team event keeps players involved. Well, unfortunately I no longer fall into that age range but I did play in the recent university tea...
by Paul Griffiths
Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:01 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: BUCA Championships
Replies: 94
Views: 8917

Re: BUCA Championships

Two surprises in round 1: Oxford 2 - 2 Durham (Oxford wthout its top two for this round) and UCL 1.5 - 2.5 Imperial 2 (FM Vas held by Alan Luo). UCL drawn to play Oxford in round 2. Top board Vas (2309) - German (2515) unfortunately ruined by Vas claiming a win by mobiles phone in spite of his clea...
by Paul Griffiths
Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:56 am
Forum: General Chat
Topic: BUCA Championships
Replies: 94
Views: 8917

Re: BUCA Championships

On the playing front, there were some strong teams, although it seems clear that some strong universities did not take part and some universities did not have all their strongest players. This may change if the event becomes more established. Entry forms were sent out, and I mailed them frequently....
by Paul Griffiths
Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:23 am
Forum: General Chat
Topic: BUCA Championships
Replies: 94
Views: 8917

Re: BUCA Championships

It seems a shame that the discussion of the tournament is now just focusing on the mobile phone issue .... I was (playing) in the tournament hall at the time, probably about 10 metres from the discussed game. I didn't hear the mobile phone but I certainly heard the resulting arguments. Rules are rul...