This is terribly sad news. Tim was very helpful during a minor incident at a Congress, he smoothed it all over very calmly. I described him later to my wife (who wasn’t familiar with the term ‘arbiter’) as the Chess Policeman.
Thus he will be remembered by me.
Search found 80 matches
- Sun Jul 27, 2025 9:10 pm
- Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
- Topic: Tim Dickinson
- Replies: 24
- Views: 8217
- Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:51 pm
- Forum: ECF Matters
- Topic: New ECF ratings codes
- Replies: 29
- Views: 8521
Re: New ECF ratings codes
Oh, hang on, I'm misreading. That's an ONLINE grading of H, I see that my OTB Standard Grade is K. I guess that makes more sense. Apologies for the noise 
- Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:01 pm
- Forum: ECF Matters
- Topic: New ECF ratings codes
- Replies: 29
- Views: 8521
Re: New ECF ratings codes
Category H: For OTB, players who inherited a rating on 1st July 2020, but who has less than 9 rated results in the 60 calendar months prior to 1st July 2020 and has not played since. Wondering why I've got an H rating, then. http://www.ecfrating.org.uk/v2/new/player.php?ECF_code=110382K I last play...
- Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:41 pm
- Forum: General Chat
- Topic: On-line and OTB chess, main differences?
- Replies: 13
- Views: 2258
Re: On-line and OTB chess, main differences?
I played my first 'real' online tournament on Sunday (Witney Rapidplay: nicely organised, worked very well - thanks to all involved) and I was expecting all the points MJM to raise to be true, and they were. I miss the occasion, I miss the tactile nature of playing on a real board and so on. However...
- Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:04 pm
- Forum: General Chat
- Topic: Chess on TV
- Replies: 275
- Views: 82650
Re: Chess on TV
The Checkmate TV Show thing is now on Amazon Prime: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Round-1/dp/B079165X12/ --- it's nothing special, soundtrack appears to be lacking somewhat. To quote my own review: "Having heard about this programme some time ago I was looking forward to it greatly. It was much more basi...
- Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:08 pm
- Forum: Congress Diary
- Topic: 40th annual Kidlington Chess Tournament, 4-5 February 2017
- Replies: 8
- Views: 3057
Re: 40th annual Kidlington Chess Tournament, 4-5 February 2017
the top section will now be an Open section, rather than having a grading cap of 225. A slight shame really for Kidlington to abandon its unique status as the country's only under 225 tournament, but I suppose necessary when you wanted to make it part of a Oxfordshire Championship. I'd imagine the ...
- Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:01 pm
- Forum: General Chat
- Topic: Chess on TV
- Replies: 275
- Views: 82650
Re: Chess on TV
https://twitter.com/checkmatetvshow tweets every few days saying the exact same thing: "Checkmate TV Show Season I is now in distribution with Optimum Television as soon as we have a date for broadcasting we will let you know" --- they've been tweeting that for a couple of months, I think.
- Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:14 pm
- Forum: General Chat
- Topic: Tactics puzzles on Chess.com
- Replies: 6
- Views: 1758
Re: Tactics puzzles on Chess.com
The chess.com puzzle ratings are not _set_ anywhere, they drift up and down (in the same way as players grades) based on how well and how quickly people solve them. Don't know the exact means of calculation. I use chess.com on PC and smartphone: I *think* I've seen a similar thing to you too, for wh...
- Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:46 pm
- Forum: General Chat
- Topic: Chess on TV
- Replies: 275
- Views: 82650
Re: Chess on TV
Do we know when the whole event is likely to be broadcast/available-for-download/whatever?
- Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:06 pm
- Forum: General Chat
- Topic: Fischer Number
- Replies: 167
- Views: 1170279
Re: Fischer Number
Ah, brilliant. That gives me a Korchnoi Number of 3. He's beaten both Kasparov and Fischer, so that reduces both my Kasparov Number and Fischer Number to 4. Splendid, thanks JackIM Jack Rudd wrote:Williams has beaten Korchnoi, which should give you a good route out.
- Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:49 pm
- Forum: General Chat
- Topic: Fischer Number
- Replies: 167
- Views: 1170279
Re: Fischer Number
Well the best I can do is a Fischer Number of 5 and a Kasparov Number of 5. You've no idea how much dredging of all scorebooks and of chessgames.com it took to come up with this... I beat Chris Briscoe (twice: North London Under-10 1981, London Juniors Under-16 1985; he got his revenge in 1987!) Chr...
- Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:07 am
- Forum: General Chat
- Topic: Fischer Number
- Replies: 167
- Views: 1170279
Re: Fischer Number
I've just happened upon this thread. Although I've never managed above BCF/ECF 170 I'm sure I must be able to find suitable paths, because I played a lot of London Junior Chess Championships in the early 1980s and am fairly convinced I must have no more than a two step path to Michael Adams or Matth...
- Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:03 pm
- Forum: Congress Results
- Topic: Kidlington Chess Congress 2016
- Replies: 6
- Views: 2019
Kidlington Chess Congress 2016
Crosstables for all sections available via https://kidlingtonchess.org.uk/kct2016/ ... osstables/
- Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:23 am
- Forum: General Chat
- Topic: Cartoon
- Replies: 8
- Views: 2441
Re: Cartoon
I agree that the caption would probably have been funnier if it _had_ translated as "Arguing with a grandmaster" or something less specific than "world champion".
We are dissecting the joke. It is now officially not funny any more.
We are dissecting the joke. It is now officially not funny any more.
- Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:15 am
- Forum: General Chat
- Topic: Cartoon
- Replies: 8
- Views: 2441
Re: Cartoon
"Marital row with the Chess World Champion" is the translation of the caption, I think.