Search found 26 matches

by Hans Renette
Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:28 pm
Forum: Chess History
Topic: What happened in Weenink v Kmoch?
Replies: 7
Views: 2037

Re: What happened in Weenink v Kmoch?

This is what De Telegraaf had to say on it on 16 July (with excuses for any mistakes made in translation): "Weenink said something on move 62, believing that Kmoch was a nice fellow who could tolerate something, angrily pushed over the pieces and said: “with that talking in the game you distracted m...
by Hans Renette
Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:46 pm
Forum: Chess History
Topic: 3 Questions
Replies: 4
Views: 1373

Re: 3 Questions

a - Probably Patrick Debast.
by Hans Renette
Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:46 pm
Forum: Chess History
Topic: T Van Scheltinga vs A Alekhine
Replies: 8
Views: 1907

Re: T Van Scheltinga vs A Alekhine

No details about any irregularity at the finish of this game was mentioned either in the Tijdschrift van den Nederlandschen Schaakbond, nor in game analysis published in leading newspapers as De Telegraaf or the Algemeen Handelsblad.
by Hans Renette
Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:04 pm
Forum: Chess History
Topic: Henry Edward Bird robbed, 1847
Replies: 7
Views: 1444

Re: Henry Edward Bird robbed, 1847

Hi John,

I deal with both cases, as well as with a third - Bird v. Drouet, in my book (p. 55-58).

Hans
by Hans Renette
Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:38 pm
Forum: Chess History
Topic: Henry Edward Bird robbed, 1847
Replies: 7
Views: 1444

Re: Henry Edward Bird robbed, 1847

Hi John, Nice to read this (possible) addition on H.E. Bird's life. I don't recall if I saw this or not, but if I did I'd probably have mentioned it in my book. About the H. Bird joining the London C.C.: I don't write that you are wrong, I wrote that 'it seems unlikely' to me. It seems that sources ...
by Hans Renette
Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:33 pm
Forum: Chess History
Topic: Chess history trivia
Replies: 2610
Views: 322846

Re: Chess history trivia

Which chess giant ended his career, in his last official game, by playing Ke1 (the king returning home) as his last move?
by Hans Renette
Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:37 pm
Forum: Chess History
Topic: A "book review" by James Pratt
Replies: 8
Views: 2532

Re: A "book review" by James Pratt

Let me add to the remarks about this review that Owen finished a sound 2 points behind Paulsen at the London 1862 tournament, while I'm also very curious to find out about Paulsen's contributions to the Leningrad Dutch! I must have overlooked those ;-).
Thanks for the positive review!
Hans
by Hans Renette
Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:50 pm
Forum: Chess History
Topic: HISTORY OF THE LAWS OF CHESS
Replies: 46
Views: 11983

Re: HISTORY OF THE LAWS OF CHESS

The start of the Nottingham 1886 tournament was delayed for a day as the "stop-clocks' hadn't arrived yet. These clocks were, as far as I understand it, separate clocks where each player had to check his opponent's clock as well. See the Forster book on Amos Burn for a reference.
by Hans Renette
Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:34 pm
Forum: Chess History
Topic: The oldest
Replies: 2
Views: 1476

The oldest

A few days ago I read in an article in a Dutch newspaper of 1921 that Tarrasch was at that time the oldest active chess master in top regions. I wonder who his predecessors and successors were. Some people are easy to name: from 1879-1899 Bird was the oldest active master, the decade or two before h...
by Hans Renette
Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:14 pm
Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
Topic: Steve Berry
Replies: 31
Views: 11811

Re: Steve Berry

That is a true pity to read. Together with several other guys from the same London club he was a loyal guest for years at the tournament in Leuven, Belgium. I notice my only game against him also made it to the database. A tough guy to beat he was.
by Hans Renette
Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:57 pm
Forum: Chess History
Topic: Chess history trivia
Replies: 2610
Views: 322846

Re: Chess history trivia

Gerard Killoran wrote: ↑
Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:12 pm
Hans Renette wrote: ↑
Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:50 pm
Which world class player, whose career lasted several decades, only played for the first time in England in his penultimate international tournament?
Rudolf Spielmann at Margate,1938.
Yes, Spielmann it is!
by Hans Renette
Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:50 pm
Forum: Chess History
Topic: Chess history trivia
Replies: 2610
Views: 322846

Re: Chess history trivia

Which world class player, whose career lasted several decades, only played for the first time in England in his penultimate international tournament?
by Hans Renette
Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:16 am
Forum: Chess History
Topic: The Turk v Mephisto
Replies: 40
Views: 10174

Re: The Turk v Mephisto

I found a bit more on Pulling at Ancestry. He was born in 1813, in Chepstow, Monmouthshire, Wales. He died in April 1866. When the census of 1851 was taken he was visiting his brother Robert Pulling in Penge, Surrey. Ten years later he resided in Camberwell St. Giles, Surrey. His occupation was give...
by Hans Renette
Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:04 pm
Forum: Chess History
Topic: The Turk v Mephisto
Replies: 40
Views: 10174

Re: The Turk v Mephisto

As far as I know Paulsen played 4...Qh4 only once - in the aforementioned game against Wilson. Wellington Pulling was mentioned on a few other occassions in the Ill. London News: * 22 Feb. 1862 - as a member of the standing committee of the B.C.A. * 30 May 1863 - Staunton commenting 4...Qh4 against ...
by Hans Renette
Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:48 am
Forum: Chess History
Topic: The Turk v Mephisto
Replies: 40
Views: 10174

Re: The Turk v Mephisto

While doing research on L. Paulsen I can confirm what Tim writes. See below Staunton's note to Paulsen's 4th move (4...Qh4) in the game Wilson-Paulsen, Bristol 1861. "This move was first introduced in England by Mr. Wellington Pulling, an amateur remarkable for the brilliancy and rapidity of his com...