Search found 731 matches

by James Pratt
Fri Oct 02, 2026 5:26 pm
Forum: Not Chess!
Topic: Terrible Jokes
Replies: 89
Views: 22575

Re: Terrible Jokes

I had a school chum who went to Terry Thomas's old school. Apparently TT was expelled for driving a car across the cricket pitch. BOOM BOOM as Basil Brush might have shouted and I hope John Upham will agree.
James
by James Pratt
Tue Sep 29, 2026 2:28 am
Forum: Chess History
Topic: 50th Jubilee Tournament, Moscow 1967
Replies: 19
Views: 1405

Re: 50th Jubilee Tournament, Moscow 1967

The surprising thing about the event itself was the form of Bobotsov. That is some score! Bulgaria always seemed to do disproportionately well in Olympiads in that era and I think Bobotsov had a stroke in the 1970's. I spoke to Antoneta who said she thought he became a taxi driver. I don't remember ...
by James Pratt
Sun Sep 20, 2026 1:47 pm
Forum: Book Reviews
Topic: Miniatures - duMont, Barden, Heidenfeld, LeMoir
Replies: 0
Views: 279

Miniatures - duMont, Barden, Heidenfeld, LeMoir

A mix of old and new and a shout-out to Josh. Where is he now?
https://www.youtube.com/live/E_LgdxP-be ... Qk9e2nMbhR
James
by James Pratt
Sun Sep 20, 2026 12:48 am
Forum: Not Chess!
Topic: Terrible Jokes
Replies: 89
Views: 22575

Re: Terrible Jokes

A man tells his mate he's doing factory work, making chess pieces. How are the hours working out?
"Well, at the moment I'm doing Knights .. "
by James Pratt
Tue Sep 15, 2026 5:42 pm
Forum: ECF Matters
Topic: 2026 British Chess Championships
Replies: 522
Views: 85212

Re: 2026 British Chess Championships

Sorry, that is a bad mistake.
by James Pratt
Tue Sep 15, 2026 4:50 pm
Forum: ECF Matters
Topic: 2026 British Chess Championships
Replies: 522
Views: 85212

Re: 2026 British Chess Championships

The latest CHESS, Vol.91 No 6, arrived today, carrying an Editorial by Malcolm Pein indicating that Bodana's winning the Ladies threatened, in the best possible sense, the record set-up by Elaine Saunders at Bournemouth 1939. Miss Sivanandan, born 7th March, 2015, can rest comfortably in her bed alt...
by James Pratt
Sun Sep 13, 2026 4:39 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Print media: columnists in UK newspapers and magazines
Replies: 19
Views: 1817

Re: Print media: columnists in UK newspapers and magazines

Mickey Adams in The Telegraph?

Bill Hartston once said he was writing up to five a week. None now I exhume.

James
by James Pratt
Tue Aug 18, 2026 2:22 pm
Forum: Book Reviews
Topic: 3 Trad Titles
Replies: 0
Views: 342

3 Trad Titles

Some Batsfords, all above average, the Gufeld especially worth seeking out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efaMIEkYDQQ
And is it OK to call a book 'Sixty Memorable Games' or is that confusing, inappropriate or just plain sacrilegious (Not) >?
Please like and subscribe.
James
by James Pratt
Sun Aug 16, 2026 9:35 pm
Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
Topic: Len M Pickett
Replies: 19
Views: 2119

Re: Len M Pickett

I encountered Len the best part of 40+ years ago at Charlton House during their congress. I had the bye and outside we played a friendly game in deadly earnest. I tried 3 Bb5 against his Sicilian, a line now popular popular. It wasn't then. I managed a draw and said I'd got the move from a book by P...
by James Pratt
Wed Aug 12, 2026 5:23 pm
Forum: Chess History
Topic: Chess history trivia
Replies: 2596
Views: 321296

Re: Chess history trivia

Bobotsov
by James Pratt
Mon Aug 10, 2026 11:25 pm
Forum: ECF Matters
Topic: 2026 British Chess Championships
Replies: 522
Views: 85212

Re: 2026 British Chess Championships

The largest number of players to tie for first place was seven. They all scored 7. Botterill won a play-off staged at Frank Hatto's house.
James
by James Pratt
Mon Aug 10, 2026 11:22 pm
Forum: ECF Matters
Topic: 2026 British Chess Championships
Replies: 522
Views: 85212

Re: 2026 British Chess Championships

The youngest player to come first - which doesn't necessarily mean winning - the British is either Adams or Royal? That's good though Nigel Short came first at Chester 1979 aged 14 with Nunn, who also tied with NDS and Robert Bellin, never returning after Brighton 1980. I used to keep a mental list ...
by James Pratt
Sun Aug 09, 2026 8:00 pm
Forum: ECF Matters
Topic: 2026 British Chess Championships
Replies: 522
Views: 85212

Re: 2026 British Chess Championships

At Street 2000 Humpy Koneru became the youngest British Lady Champ at 13yrs 133 dys beating Elaine Saunders long standing record. Elaine, later Mrs Pritchard, of course, took this record at Bournemouth 1939 at the outbreak of WWII. Bodhana (b. 7th March 2015) beats them both and would do so if she t...
by James Pratt
Fri Jul 24, 2026 9:03 pm
Forum: Chess History
Topic: Joolz Guides
Replies: 1
Views: 281

Joolz Guides

A recent walk in 'Hampstead and Its Amazing History' on UTUBE sees the wandering host visiting an old haunt, Louis Patisserie/Bakery, a High Street business which has stopped offering Domino Cake in favour of chess cake, pieces now clearly showing on all slices that I briefly glimpsed. Maybe worth a...
by James Pratt
Thu Jul 23, 2026 10:38 pm
Forum: Book Reviews
Topic: Parrots
Replies: 0
Views: 451

Parrots

Brief review of my last few fanzines, Nos. 30-36.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-gSZjIFvWQ

If you would like a free copy please let me know (UK only)

James