Search found 6 matches
- Wed May 23, 2012 3:59 pm
- Forum: Junior Chess
- Topic: Tips for U7 chess
- Replies: 5
- Views: 2256
Re: Tips for U7 chess
Wow. That is brilliant, thanks Richard. Two years ago I reorganised my hours at work and found myself with Monday afternoons off. With fond memories of my own primary school chess club I volunteered to run an after school club at my daughter's school. We've had 10 regulars for two years. I must admi...
- Fri May 18, 2012 1:59 pm
- Forum: Junior Chess
- Topic: Tips for U7 chess
- Replies: 5
- Views: 2256
Tips for U7 chess
I've been running an U7 (year 2) chess club for two years now and thought I'd share my / request your pearls of wisdom for teaching chess to 6 and 7 year olds. In my experience, these are the best dos and don'ts: DO Teach handshakes before and after the game. A win is not a win without a handshake. ...
- Tue May 15, 2012 4:07 pm
- Forum: Junior Chess
- Topic: UK CHESS CHALLENGE
- Replies: 35
- Views: 8361
Re: UK CHESS CHALLENGE
Excellent, we hope to see you again next year. By next year, I am not sure that you will be able to get away with convincing your daughter that £12.50 really is six months pocket money, but good luck with that one :D Next year? She's up in arms about it now! I did though want to pass my thanks on ...
- Tue May 15, 2012 2:33 pm
- Forum: Junior Chess
- Topic: UK CHESS CHALLENGE
- Replies: 35
- Views: 8361
Re: UK CHESS CHALLENGE
Seven year olds are much like Mutley from Whacky Races - it's all about the medals!
A shiny trophy, a certificate and six months worth of pocket money in one go is more than she could have hoped for!
A shiny trophy, a certificate and six months worth of pocket money in one go is more than she could have hoped for!
- Tue May 15, 2012 1:50 pm
- Forum: Junior Chess
- Topic: UK CHESS CHALLENGE
- Replies: 35
- Views: 8361
Re: UK CHESS CHALLENGE
I took two U7 girls and an U7 boy to the Somerset Megafinal last Sunday. On the whole I thought it was a well run event. However... I utterly fail to see the logic of putting my two U7 girls in a girls only U7-U10 group when there are plenty of U7 boys. Logic surely dictates that they should be gro...
- Tue May 15, 2012 11:43 am
- Forum: Junior Chess
- Topic: UK CHESS CHALLENGE
- Replies: 35
- Views: 8361
Re: UK CHESS CHALLENGE
I took two U7 girls and an U7 boy to the Somerset Megafinal last Sunday. On the whole I thought it was a well run event. However... I utterly fail to see the logic of putting my two U7 girls in a girls only U7-U10 group when there are plenty of U7 boys. Logic surely dictates that they should be grou...