Search found 7 matches

by Martin Hazelton
Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:01 am
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Junior squad/Kasparov simul in 1986
Replies: 137
Views: 33924

Re: Junior squad/Kasparov simul in 1986

Not as much info as you wanted but a different picture from the same simul with Kasparov playing Stuart Conquest is on the front cover of a book I have called Kasparov Teaches Chess. The person in your photo above can also be seen on the book from a different angle. I don't think it is the same sim...
by Martin Hazelton
Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:34 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Junior squad/Kasparov simul in 1986
Replies: 137
Views: 33924

Re: Junior squad/Kasparov simul in 1986

Not as much info as you wanted but a different picture from the same simul with Kasparov playing Stuart Conquest is on the front cover of a book I have called Kasparov Teaches Chess. The person in your photo above can also be seen on the book from a different angle. I don't think it is the same sim...
by Martin Hazelton
Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:58 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Junior squad/Kasparov simul in 1986
Replies: 137
Views: 33924

Re: Junior squad/Kasparov simul in 1986

It's not Gary Lane - wrong hairstyle and facial hair. It's not Andy Dunn. Could it be Neil Crickmore (wild stab in the dark)? Neil Crickmore? Not sure that the clothing or build are right, but I didn't see him often (he was a year or two older than me). I do recall him winning the British U18 title...
by Martin Hazelton
Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:57 am
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Junior squad/Kasparov simul in 1986
Replies: 137
Views: 33924

Re: Junior squad/Kasparov simul in 1986

I am with Ola on this. Is this some parallel universe here, when one doesn't remember playing the current world champion? Memory can be a fickle thing, but I agree that forgetting about such an event seems unlikely. On the other hand, my old school archive having a photo labelled with my name (and ...
by Martin Hazelton
Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:28 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Junior squad/Kasparov simul in 1986
Replies: 137
Views: 33924

Re: Junior squad/Kasparov simul in 1986

Can't see who the player in the photo is though. Initially thought Gary Lane but he was a bit too old probably? Note - I was 19 in 1986 but then again so was David Watts who certainly played in it so it was not an U18 event. I don't think the photo looks like Andrew Dunn. Gary Lane might have slipp...
by Martin Hazelton
Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:22 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Junior squad/Kasparov simul in 1986
Replies: 137
Views: 33924

Re: Junior squad/Kasparov simul in 1986

I'm impressed by the number of responses - I was expecting to wait a week to get one or two! Great to hear from you all. fwiw Martin I don't recall you mentioning playing in it at the time - and likewise I would kind of expect to. I think the replies have settled the issue. The photo might be me (th...
by Martin Hazelton
Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:28 am
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Junior squad/Kasparov simul in 1986
Replies: 137
Views: 33924

Junior squad/Kasparov simul in 1986

Hello! I was recently sent an email from the archivist at my old school (Royal Grammar School, Newcastle upon Tyne) with a photo purporting to be me playing against Kasparov in a simultaneous display. See below. http://www.massey.ac.nz/~mhazelto/simul.jpg Now, I know that Kasparov did play in a simu...