Search found 23 matches

by Andy Ward
Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:42 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Vade mecum for complete beginner -- suggestions
Replies: 8
Views: 1767

Re: Vade mecum for complete beginner -- suggestions

I have taught myself both descriptive and algebraic notation. An old and therefore cheap book preferred -- Staunton is the author I know of, but other recommendations eagerly sought. As comprehensive as possible, bearing in mind I live in a very remote area and when I play an actual opponent it wil...
by Andy Ward
Sat May 21, 2016 12:46 am
Forum: General Chat
Topic: What should happen in this situation?
Replies: 63
Views: 7872

Re: What should happen in this situation?

Player A and Player B are playing chess. Player B makes his move, but does not press his clock. A teammate of player B watching the game, tells player B that he should press his clock after his move. Player A now claims the game due to assistance from a teammate. If you are an arbiter in this situa...
by Andy Ward
Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:47 am
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Best chance for chess success (imo)...
Replies: 30
Views: 3908

Re: Best chance for chess success (imo)...

is to fully learn and only play one opening :mrgreen: If I see an opponent always plays a particular line it means I prepare for one line. If he always plays two, I need to prepare for 2, and so on. Having a diverse repertoire not only makes you harder to prepare for, but exposes you to a more dive...
by Andy Ward
Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:37 am
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Best chance for chess success (imo)...
Replies: 30
Views: 3908

Re: Best chance for chess success (imo)...

It used to be much easier to have a narrow repertoire in years gone by. Nowadays your opponent regularly comes to the board armed with database theory against any line you play with regularity. After a recent league game, a certain forum regular told me that after seeing me play the Sicilian Wing G...
by Andy Ward
Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:03 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Questions on conduct during a game
Replies: 90
Views: 17620

Re: Questions on conduct during a game

The writing down of moves before they were played would not worried me in the slightest, although I understand why the rule was introduced. Using a different hand to move and to press the clock is something that I would certainly complain about though - even if the opponent does not permanently hol...
by Andy Ward
Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:01 am
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Questions on conduct during a game
Replies: 90
Views: 17620

Re: Questions on conduct during a game

If it happened to me and I did not suspect foul play I would probably let it go, if anything knowing your opponents move some minutes before they played it could be seen as an advantage as it means you can start thinking up your response on their time. To be honest this ended up being the case. I c...
by Andy Ward
Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:57 am
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Questions on conduct during a game
Replies: 90
Views: 17620

Re: Questions on conduct during a game

If you've only been playing club chess for a while, you may not be aware that the rules on writing down moves before playing them changed recently (around 10-15 years ago!), so some of the older players may not have got used to the change. Players could write down their move either before or after ...
by Andy Ward
Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:47 am
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Questions on conduct during a game
Replies: 90
Views: 17620

Questions on conduct during a game

Tonight I was playing a cup game for a club I have recently joined and my opponent was doing 2 things throughout the game which I thought were either not allowed or just poor etiquette. The first was to write down every move before playing it (sometimes waiting for several minutes, sometimes scribbl...
by Andy Ward
Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:53 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: How do you prepare for a game where your going to play an opponent much better than you.
Replies: 40
Views: 5399

Re: How do you prepare for a game where your going to play an opponent much better than you.

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:(hint: no-one really prepares for evening league chess apart from those at the very top end)
Haha, whoops :P
by Andy Ward
Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:36 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: How do you prepare for a game where your going to play an opponent much better than you.
Replies: 40
Views: 5399

Re: How do you prepare for a game where your going to play an opponent much better than you.

Kevin O'Rourke wrote:I won’t know who am playing till I sit down. Have e mailed to see if my colour has been decided yet.
In which case I would spend a bit more time on tactics/attacking ideas and just go for an aggressive game. When I play weaker players I am just after an easy advantage without too much trouble.
by Andy Ward
Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:27 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: How do you prepare for a game where your going to play an opponent much better than you.
Replies: 40
Views: 5399

Re: How do you prepare for a game where your going to play an opponent much better than you.

How do you prepare for a game where your going to play an opponent much better than you. I have been asked to play a 1st team game as a stand in next week but I am a 2nd team player. Will most likely be facing a player of 1900+ and I am about 1300 myself. Is there anything to be done to prepare or ...
by Andy Ward
Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:52 pm
Forum: International News
Topic: British Chess Federation is alive and well!
Replies: 12
Views: 2203

Re: British Chess Federation is alive and well!

Browsing the ECF website I came across a page which seems to rank Chess Scotland and other independent national chess federations as being constituent units of the English Chess Federation: http://www.englishchess.org.uk/clubs-and-associations-ii/constituent-units-of-the-ecf-other-british-isles-nat...
by Andy Ward
Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:07 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: If you could invent a new piece with the combinational moves of 2 other pieces, what would you choose?
Replies: 30
Views: 3572

Re: If you could invent a new piece with the combinational moves of 2 other pieces, what would you choose?

Ray Sayers wrote:Combine the King with the movement of a Knight, then see how long it takes to mate the little swine!
If I remember correctly in Indian chess the king is allowed to move like a knight but only once. I think this is designed as a substitute for castling.
by Andy Ward
Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:25 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Congresses Start Too Early In The Morning
Replies: 25
Views: 3559

Re: Congresses Start Too Early In The Morning

I rarely play the full 5 rounds in any case, but for those who do I see a real plus in not finishing late on Saturday. Don't know about others but after 2 long games I just can't devote much concentration in the third. Certainly it doesn't make for a relaxing weekend, but I do believe that the grue...
by Andy Ward
Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:33 am
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Congresses Start Too Early In The Morning
Replies: 25
Views: 3559

Re: Congresses Start Too Early In The Morning

As far as I know, Friday evening play is absolutely universal up here. Its not always pleasant - and you always get a fair few byes - but an absolute bargain compared to 3 on the Saturday. I rarely play the full 5 rounds in any case, but for those who do I see a real plus in not finishing late on S...