Search found 36 matches

by Robert Page
Thu Apr 09, 2026 8:54 am
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Media comments on chess
Replies: 6628
Views: 1157743

Re: Media comments on chess

Has anyone seen the photo in today’s paper of a player in a tournament taking a selfie of herself with Magnus Carlsen? Notice anything unusual about it?!
by Robert Page
Wed Dec 31, 2025 10:47 am
Forum: Deaths & Obituaries
Topic: Mihai Suba
Replies: 23
Views: 10993

Re: Mihai Suba

The 1990 British was held in Eastbourne shortly after the murder of the local MP, Ian Gow, by the Provisional IRA. Because of this and the number of Irish participants there was a Special Brach (or similar) presence at the event. Suba was participating in the Championship. I was one of the arbiters...
by Robert Page
Sat Sep 14, 2024 10:03 am
Forum: Not Chess!
Topic: Premier League Fantasy Football 2024-25
Replies: 59
Views: 25369

Re: Premier League Fantasy Football 2024-25

Neil, I am rather puzzled as I thought I had entered the English Chess Forum league but I appear to be in a league labelled 'English Chess Fans'. There only appear to be twelve members although I see that Azul Albatrosses - not surprisingly with his current score of 270 - is the leader in both leagu...
by Robert Page
Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:14 pm
Forum: Not Chess!
Topic: Premier League Fantasy Football 2023-24
Replies: 81
Views: 37498

Re: Premier League Fantasy Football 2023-24

I have missed all this - I haven't read the Not Chess! thread before. Am I too late to join this league? I've been in the competition since the start for the past three seasons. If I joined, would my current score count or would have to start from scratch?!
by Robert Page
Thu Oct 05, 2023 7:06 am
Forum: Chess Questions
Topic: Incorrect chess board rotation
Replies: 21
Views: 13457

Incorrect chess board rotation

I have a question for Kevin Thurlow or any other arbiters out there. Last night I played a club championship game and opened 1.e4 to which my opponent replied 1...d6. He then said 'Oh, can we re-start the game?' More than a little surprised, I declined. He then said, 'But the board's the wrong way r...
by Robert Page
Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:20 am
Forum: Congress Results
Topic: Hampshire Congress November 2019
Replies: 10
Views: 8513

Re: Hampshire Congress November 2019

Ha ha! I must admit I was surprised to be confronted with analogue clocks when I played the Hampshire Congress last year. One wonders how many other congresses continue to use them, if any. As for Fischer time, we have used it for several years at the Thanet Congress as you know, Kevin, with few pro...
by Robert Page
Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:14 am
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Chess and cricket
Replies: 18
Views: 7041

Re: Chess and cricket

Keith B Richardson was Englands first Grandmaster. He got his title for ccorrespondance chess. He also played for England at Cricket playing in Englands under 19 team. I believe that he also played First team county cricket. I am not sure which county he played for but he was from Nottinghamshire. ...
by Robert Page
Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:35 pm
Forum: Congress Results
Topic: 50th Thanet Chess Congress
Replies: 3
Views: 4937

Re: 50th Thanet Chess Congress

Thank you, John. I'm glad you enjoyed the congress. There will be games from all the sections published on the Broadstairs site in due course. I have the Challengers and Minor already in hand. I emailed Kevin as he collates all the Open games and once I get those there should be a couple I can add. ...
by Robert Page
Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:53 am
Forum: Congress Results
Topic: 50th Thanet Chess Congress
Replies: 3
Views: 4937

50th Thanet Chess Congress

The Open was won by IM Alan Merry. Full results: OPEN: http://results.utuswiss.co.uk/TournamentPage?Tournament=f10b717a-04c9-4e8d-a54f-14a4bd60b92d CHALLENGERS: http://results.utuswiss.co.uk/TournamentPage?Tournament=88b49f25-2554-4adc-9397-26cf5ed2324c MAJOR: http://results.utuswiss.co.uk/Tournamen...
by Robert Page
Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:50 pm
Forum: Congress Diary
Topic: 50th Thanet Chess Congress
Replies: 5
Views: 2384

Re: 50th Thanet Chess Congress

The 50th Thanet Chess Congress is only three weeks away. Free entry for GMs and IMs and only £5 for U16s. There are unique prizes for the winners of each section unavailable at any other congress in addition to over £2300 in prize money. So far, five of the original 1970 entrants have signed up to p...
by Robert Page
Thu May 09, 2019 8:43 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: What if a player falls ill....
Replies: 32
Views: 7326

What if a player falls ill....

At a recent league match a player became ill and an ambulance was called. He clearly could not continue his game and offered his opponent a draw which was accepted. The game was even so the offer was quite fair anyway and it had no bearing on the match result. However, is there a ruling on this? It ...
by Robert Page
Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:08 pm
Forum: Congress Diary
Topic: 50th Thanet Chess Congress
Replies: 5
Views: 2384

Re: 50th Thanet Chess Congress

The website for the 50th Thanet Chess Congress is now live. Go to www.thanetchesscongress.co.uk for further information including details of the special trophies to be won (and kept) by the winners of the five sections. The SCCU and Kent Championship titles are also available for those who qualify. ...
by Robert Page
Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:39 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Media comments on chess
Replies: 6628
Views: 1157743

Re: Media comments on chess

I think you’ll find the apparent rook reference in the Skipton Building Society logo is meant to be Skipton Castle. On a separate note, a recent episode of Pointess featured a set of pictures of board games. If you don’t know the format - although I suspect many chess players watch the programme - ‘...
by Robert Page
Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:11 pm
Forum: Chess History
Topic: Eastbourne, British Championships 1990
Replies: 9
Views: 2760

Re: Eastbourne, British Championships 1990

I didn't remember the name of the building but a few things about the 1990 Championships spring to mind. I had no idea about the death of Ian Gow as it must have taken place in the morning as I was driving down and I had not had the radio on. The first I heard of it was at the opening ceremony when ...
by Robert Page
Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:35 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Incremental controls - the `unlimited` game.
Replies: 39
Views: 5433

Re: Incremental controls - the `unlimited` game.

It is used in some congresses as we have done at Thanet for past three or four years with few problems as far as I am aware although Kevin can confirm. If there were, I’m sure we’d scrap it. Of course, it may be different where you have three games in one day. I think we use 90 mins + 30 secs. I do ...