Search found 153 matches

by Sebastian Stone
Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:23 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Question for 1.d4 players
Replies: 25
Views: 2429

Re: Question for 1.d4 players

MSoszynski wrote:Berliner replied to criticism in Chess Mail 7/99.
That's just swell.
by Sebastian Stone
Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:14 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Question for 1.d4 players
Replies: 25
Views: 2429

Re: Question for 1.d4 players

James Byrne wrote:
Sebastian Stone wrote:What would peoples replies be against 1...e6?

Myself, should I play 1. d4 (which doesn't happen) would feel compelled to play 2. e4.
2. c4 and they would usually reply d5.
Or 2...Nf6 :wink:
by Sebastian Stone
Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:46 am
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Question for 1.d4 players
Replies: 25
Views: 2429

Re: Question for 1.d4 players

What would peoples replies be against 1...e6?

Myself, should I play 1. d4 (which doesn't happen) would feel compelled to play 2. e4.
by Sebastian Stone
Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:16 am
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Korchnoi 80 today!
Replies: 1
Views: 377

Re: Korchnoi 80 today!

Happy Birthday Viktor! :D
by Sebastian Stone
Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:45 pm
Forum: Women's Chess
Topic: Women's In-Tournament Training
Replies: 319
Views: 26262

Re: Women's In-Tournament Training

Sabrina, as I said, I showed Carl the text of my last post prior to its publication and he did not prevent it from being put into the forum - so, if he was OK with it, then if you think that it should not have been allowed, you should perhaps aim any criticism at him. I also note that despite me ha...
by Sebastian Stone
Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:48 pm
Forum: ECF Matters
Topic: ECF Funding - An Attempt to Take Stock
Replies: 149
Views: 8268

Re: ECF Funding - An Attempt to Take Stock

Carl Hibbard wrote:
Sebastian Stone wrote:I imagine If I asked this question to a cross section of the members of Sidmouth chess club "Who?" would be the most likely response. :|
They you should educate them or point them in the direction of this site
Already done. Well, partially at least.
by Sebastian Stone
Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:19 pm
Forum: ECF Matters
Topic: ECF Funding - An Attempt to Take Stock
Replies: 149
Views: 8268

Re: ECF Funding - An Attempt to Take Stock

However, I think if you asked a cross section of chess players Do you think C.J. Andrew Farthing, Lawrence Cooper etc. are doing a good job you would get the answer yes. I imagine If I asked this question to a cross section of the members of Sidmouth chess club "Who?" would be the most likely respo...
by Sebastian Stone
Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:28 pm
Forum: Women's Chess
Topic: Women's In-Tournament Training
Replies: 319
Views: 26262

Re: Women's In-Tournament Training

Mike Truran wrote:Peter

What on earth are you talking about?

Increasing female participation in chess to bring about a better world for all of us.

Duh!
by Sebastian Stone
Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:57 pm
Forum: Women's Chess
Topic: Women's In-Tournament Training
Replies: 319
Views: 26262

Re: Women's In-Tournament Training

For all you anti positive discrimination people , just think of it as a capitalist attempt to broaden the congress's consumer base. :D
by Sebastian Stone
Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:51 am
Forum: ECF Matters
Topic: ECF Funding - An Attempt to Take Stock
Replies: 149
Views: 8268

Re: ECF Funding - An Attempt to Take Stock

Alex Holowczak wrote: At the moment, you pay the Club Internal rate, which is something like 18p per halfresult.

If you had an internal competition, you could pay £6 for it, yes. You are correct in what you say, but twas ever thus and you still play in team competitions.
Wouldn't that involve another charge?
by Sebastian Stone
Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:33 am
Forum: ECF Matters
Topic: ECF Funding - An Attempt to Take Stock
Replies: 149
Views: 8268

Re: ECF Funding - An Attempt to Take Stock

Where does Internal Club Competition fit into this and how much would your two tier membership fee charge to grade players who just play in their club championship? Well, I assume it's graded, and it's not a team event. So it'd count as a congress, I guess, since that's a generic term used to scoop...
by Sebastian Stone
Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:23 am
Forum: ECF Matters
Topic: ECF Funding - An Attempt to Take Stock
Replies: 149
Views: 8268

Re: ECF Funding - An Attempt to Take Stock

Richard Cowan wrote:That is diametrically opposite from what I want from the ECF. If I just wanted that, I'd not join the ECF and just continue with my (free) Yorkshire grade :)
You want the ECF not to grade your games and harass you? :shock:
by Sebastian Stone
Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:17 am
Forum: ECF Matters
Topic: ECF Funding - An Attempt to Take Stock
Replies: 149
Views: 8268

Re: ECF Funding - An Attempt to Take Stock

Irrespective of funding options, the reason it would be good for the ECF to have contact details for all chess players is because the ECF could let chess players know directly about things such as changes to game fee or funding rather than relying on it filtering down via a cascade of league and co...
by Sebastian Stone
Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:30 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Tournament disasters
Replies: 32
Views: 3015

Re: Tournament disasters

I'm pretty mediocre in most tournaments I play in. However, I usually manage to win at least 1 game. At East Devon I celebrated my 10th congress with a record poor score of 1.5/5 with 3 draws and 2 defeats. Comically I accidentally sacced a knight for two pawns thinking I had won those two pawns for...
by Sebastian Stone
Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:42 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Wide grade differences
Replies: 13
Views: 1297

Re: Wide grade differences

A member of my club warmed up for last weekends (East Devon) congress (he was in the open), by drawing against a 115 and a 126 rated player.

He then went on to score 2.5/5, including draws against 2 180+ rated players and one win against a 168 rated player.